ok then, BACK TO THE 1200hp IDI

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Towcat probably showed more restraint than most of us would. I don't think he was out of line IMO.

So back to the original topic, am I to understand that one of the limitations with the DB2 is the strength of the shaft?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we've seen a few sheared shafts, even in stock or mildly modded DB2s. I wonder how it compares to a DB4 or DS4 internally. Well at least as regards the mainshaft.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Best bet for making a high power IDI that won't fall apart at start up would be to make DI heads.

After you get the heads then you start thinking of turbos an IP's

Inline pump anyone?!?!

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah it's a Powerstroke, but it could be done to an IDI.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mabc926 what pump is that do you know offhand?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pointless to shoot for the huge HP numbers on these trucks, converting to DI heads? PSD injectors...I'd just get a PSD if thats what I wanted, but I think 300-400 is something we could achieve with better turbos and fuel delivery. This has already been somewhat proven, not just by NMB2 but the guy on the FTE forum that had a dyno slip saying 296HP. One of the big problems, and I know this is not an orignal idea of mine, is that the bolt on turbo kits were designed in order not to blow up a stock or near stock engine. Once the head gaskets and bolts are upgraded, the next limit is the wrist pins and just how big a problem that is is up for debate. According to Mel, that is what stopped Flatlander's compound turbo truck and I remember hearing some anecdotal stories about flattened wrist pins on the old non gated turbos especially when I first joined over at the diesel stop. Ford and IH probably upgraded those on the factory turbo IDIs and the PSD for some reason though.... I've discussed with other members about boring the pistons since they are forged aluminum but that also might be trading one weak spot for another one by removing some meat from the piston pin bosses. Your thoughts?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought flatlander also had issues with his pistons being milled down too far (60 thou??) and causing thermal issues with the pistons? If I remember right, there wasn't enough of a thermal barrier between the crown and the rings, but I can't remember if this was ever suspected for causing wrist pin problems.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW what a crazy thread.... A bunch of great ideas mixed with a few bent feelings.... Well I was thinking of cutting the edge of the valve pocket on the inside edges to increase flow to the center of the piston top, this would add to the clearance volume to drop my compression along with .010 lower pistons. I am shooting for about 19 to 1, After reading some of the members Thoughts on precup size and port shape I am now thinking the port could be opened up some. I remember icanfixall saying that the port is verry hard and takes a special tool cutter to machine it. So I will think about that a little first. My thoughts on a p pump. I would like to look at a cat 3208 pump to see how much work it would take to make it bolt up. maybe use the shaft from a db2 cut to fit through the bearing to a plate to mount the p pump, or maybe that would be to long and hit the intake hat...hmm If I was to mill the pistons I would only drop the center down about another .010 and measure the cc of the now bigger depression to see what the added volume. this would leave the mass at the edge to try and keep the ring lands from over heating. Lightened turbo rods are on the menu also.

Last edited:

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what the flip is this moose stuff you guys keep talking about. i did a google search and found nothing, but id be interested in this stuff if it is afordable. my truck has 180k on it so i dont want to add a turbo to a higher miles engine, but i have a 1990 7.3 that came from my buddies wrecker, it only has 64k origional well maintaianed miles on it. i plan on freshening that one up and adding a turbo to it and dropping it in my truck next spring/summer. if i can upgrade the pump and injectors for a few more ponies id like to, thanks

sassyrel

Reaction score
what the flip is this moose stuff you guys keep talking about. i did a google search and found nothing, but id be interested in this stuff if it is afordable. my truck has 180k on it so i dont want to add a turbo to a higher miles engine, but i have a 1990 7.3 that came from my buddies wrecker, it only has 64k origional well maintaianed miles on it. i plan on freshening that one up and adding a turbo to it and dropping it in my truck next spring/summer. if i can upgrade the pump and injectors for a few more ponies id like to, thanks

mel sells two diffs stages of upgraded inj pumps,,and diff inj......

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
^Just send a PM to AGNEM and he'll send you a lengthy brochure/write-up that will spell out all your Moose options.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be nice to see that two injection pump set up. could run a blower underneath? how did he get the fuel to flow to the injectors without having it run against the other pump. timing that sucker must be a *****. with that setup and two turbos be a wet dream. like old 8v92ta detroit.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
be nice to see that two injection pump set up. could run a blower underneath? how did he get the fuel to flow to the injectors without having it run against the other pump. timing that sucker must be a *****. with that setup and two turbos be a wet dream. like old 8v92ta detroit.

I have one of those. Just shoe horn it in. Automatic 475hp:sly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5oCQF7lG70:sly

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YOU HAVE ONE OF THOSE???!

WHAT DO YOU HAVE IT IN? I HAVNT CHECKED OUT YOUR VID YET, BUT IF YOU CAN POST SOME PICS THAT BE KOOL.