Oil

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a 06 jetta tdi with 5 speed....
What type of oil are you guys using and how many mile intervals are you changing it?
Thanks in advance....

sassyrel

Reaction score
doesnt the owners manual state which oil??? my 96 said only synthetic--sure yours is the same--what brand?? your call---but since good syn goes 10,000-dont go cheap---

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah s.a. the owners manual does say synthetic 5w / 30 I believe I was wondering what brand.....
But I do appreciate your reply even if :Sly

sinneD

Reaction score
PADIESEL said:
Yeah s.a. the owners manual does say synthetic 5w / 30 I believe I was wondering what brand.....
But I do appreciate your reply even if :Sly

PLEASE for the love of your car RE-READ the oil requirements. You NEED to use oil that is approved under the VW 505.01 specification to maintain warranty coverage. The easiest place to get it is the dealer. Should be under $6/l. If its more, tell them to give you a better price.

Before you complain about the $6/l price, your oil change interval is 10,000 miles.

Other sources of oil are places that sell TDI parts tdiparts.com, worldimpex.com, etc...

Elf and Motul are other complaint oils/sources. Allegedly there is a Quaker State oil that recently got certification, but its NOT very clear if it is VW approved of 'meets and exceeds'.

Amsoil alleges that they have an oil that 'meets or exceeds', but remember that this is the company that can not spell Peugeot on their labels...

if you search on google for 505.01 oil you will find PLENTY of info.

bottom line- feed your motor the RIGHT oil.

dennis

Rhino

Reaction score
So are you saying there's a problem with Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40? I've been using it but change it every 5000.

sinneD

Reaction score
Rhino said:
So are you saying there's a problem with Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40? I've been using it but change it every 5000.

NO! I did not say anything was wrong with any oil.

I looked at the original poster;s sig and saw that he has an '06.

2004 + VW TDI's with the Pump Duse motors have a specific oil requirement by VW. that is the 505.01 oil. Its a VW specification. The unit injectors use a 3rd cam lob to actuate the plunger=> higher demands on the oil. Engine code BEW and BRW, and whatever the Passat motor is. You can't get this at Pep Boys or Autozone. Get this from the dealer or online sources.

2000(?) to 2004, ALH motors, VW specified 505.00 oil. VW issued a TSB stating [bold]full synthetic CG-4 [/bold]oil was acceptable substiture. This is for injection pump motors. Here are some examples of known good oils-

Mobil Delvac 1, 5w40 (full synthetic, a reformulated version of Mobil 1 which is intended for diesel engines)
Chevron Delo 400, 5w40 (full synthetic version)
Shell Rotella T (full synthetic version, not to be confused with Rotella SB synthetic blend or regular Rotella T non-synthetic)​

dennis

aikejon

C. Claven Scholar
Reaction score
Dealers in Canada only use Castrol Syntec garbage... which imo puts your turbo at risk in the long-term. The only things wrong with VW are the ineptitude of the dealers...and their attitude.

Use one of the above mentioned - Elf Excellium synthetic or Motul/Liquimoly are even better if you can get them at a reasonable price. For the Elf, make sure you have the 505.01 version - there is a 505.00 version too (that I use).

sassyrel

Reaction score
or---and there are a lot of bashers on here--i use amsoil---5W30---3000 series oil--no problems--and no sludging--410,000 on passat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance