Oil change for ZF-5 Transmission

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to advocate sticking with ATF since that’s what Ford recommends, until I found out that ZF-5 transmissions are actually used in many other vehicles all over the world. They’re even in Chevy trucks down in south america. ZF recommends their own fluid called “ZF Ecofluid M” which is a 75w-80 fluid for auto or manual transmissions. I use Redline MTL, which is a compatible replacement for the ZF fluid. Glad to hear you’re still having good results with Dextron IV 10 years later!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I wonder how well valvoline synchromesh would work in the zf, I know its a common replacement in older vw transmissions that have tired synchros and it wakes them back up. Also common for those older VW's to have dmf and convert to SMF as well, same gear rollover noises exist there too.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend's 95 PSD ZF5 was full of water. Pure. frickin. water... He only checked engine oil when he bought it, drove 18000 miles on water, through a -28 winter even... Who knows how long it had been like that. I can't understand how that would happen, unless someone did it on purpose...

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how well valvoline synchromesh would work in the zf, I know its a common replacement in older vw transmissions that have tired synchros and it wakes them back up. Also common for those older VW's to have dmf and convert to SMF as well, same gear rollover noises exist there too.
I think that is what most people recommend for the NV4500 now...

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dug up Redline’s technical information sheet, which has some good info for those curious. Here’s the link:

Here’s a quote about MTL’s similarity/differences to Dexron 4:

“In transmissions which recommend Dex-Ron or Mercon fluids we recommend our D4 ATF which is very similar to the MTL, being a GL-4 Gear Oil also. The D4 ATF will provide better low-temperature shiftability, and the MTL would provide better wear protection for racing use.”

I have to agree that I do notice the thickness of the MTL fluid starting off in sub-zero temps.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 Redline MTL, been using it for many years. It's given my tired ZF-5 a lot of use for many more years than I thought it would have in her. It's definitely time for a rebuild, but this stuff is great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron