Oil catch can, would it be better with a breather?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made this catch can using a Goldenrod filter with 1" pipe thread. A stainless mesh filter is available to replace the paper element. I have a Banks adapter at my oil fill and the CDR mounted to the Hypermax intake. So far I only have about 2,000 miles since my rebuild and have collected a couple of tablespoons of oil. Some is still making it into my intake. Maybe some steel wool could be added outside the stainless strainer.

Attachments

• DSC00172.jpg
    DSC00172.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00170.jpg
    DSC00170.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 59

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Here is what I have so far, I have the top and bottom sealed on and waiting to dry. I drilled the holes in the top cap first so I wouldn't have to worry about lining them up when I glued the top and middle together. The fittings are lightly pressed into the holes for the pic. I kind of wish I had mounted the fittings a tad higher up as the cap is pretty tall. I didn't want to get into the cap threads though. I will run it as is for now, but can redo it later since the parts are cheap. I still need to mount the drain valve as well. It's 4" in diameter and about 9" tall, it looks like it will hold at least a quart of fluid. I will do some measuring when I do the leak testing.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the first baffle I made, I want to make another one though with a mounting tab on each side as I am afraid the one tab will allow it to move. I did bend up the small tang on the bottom so I could stuff a piece of steel wool in there to help catch the oil from the air.

If you can think of something I should do differently, I'm open to suggestions. I'm no engineer, nor do I play one on TV. :D

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Well I have finished assembling it, everything is sealed up and ready for some leak testing. If all goes well I should be installing it this weekend.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
It passed the leak test so it's ready to go in. I will be waiting until next weekend to install it though. I just ordered the rest of the parts for my intake and new glow plugs so I will do everything at once when all the parts have arrived.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I need to mount the fitting for the return line from the catch can on my intake tube. What's the best way to go about this? Should I mount it flush with the inside of the tube, just stuff it in so it protrudes, or should I cut the end at an angle to help create a sort of vaccumn effect?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I ended up grinding the end inside the tube at an angle to try and get that venture effect people are always talking about. It's in and seems to be working, it already has a few drops of oil in it. I will put some more miles on and make sure none of it is getting to the turbo anymore. I figured I would post end results in here in case anyone came looking. Here is a link to the finished pics.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...stall-complete-home-made-catch-can-and-intake

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Here's a little update on the performance of my catch can. It seems to be working fine and is collecting oil, I will remove the hose going to the intake after a few more runs to see if any is making it's way to the turbo. I did remove the steel wool from the baffle when I realized that any loose strands could get pulled into the intake and eaten by the turbo. Obviously with a setup like this, restriction is a concern. Seeing as how my truck already leaks oil, I sort of have to just watch and see if it starts leaking more. I'm also paranoid about stuff like this so I am going to be unsure if it's my paranoia or if there is a legitimate issue. I decided to buy another cap for the catch can and mount a small breather on it just to see how it would go. I was afraid a lot of smoke would escape from it making it a fancy RDT. So far only a wisp of smoke now and then has escaped which I can handle and that's only at idle. If this continues to work I will get a nicer breather, I just used one I had laying around from a car I don't have anymore.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would think that running it into the intake would help. The filter to turbo always has a little bit of a vacuum going on, which should help draw the crank case pressures out, especially at idle when crank case pressures aren't that high.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be missing something here, but if you dont have an intercooler, whats it matter? Seems like an awful lot of work and clutter under the hood, just to keep a little oil residue out of the intake. Curious minds want to know....

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I would think that running it into the intake would help. The filter to turbo always has a little bit of a vacuum going on, which should help draw the crank case pressures out, especially at idle when crank case pressures aren't that high.

It does currently run back to the intake, I didn't want just an RDT due to the smoke.

I might be missing something here, but if you dont have an intercooler, whats it matter? Seems like an awful lot of work and clutter under the hood, just to keep a little oil residue out of the intake. Curious minds want to know....

It wasn't just a little, I was having to change my air filter every time I changed my oil. The oil had also ruined the ATS boot that connected my air box to my turbo. It was sweating oil, the clamps couldn't hold it, and when I removed it last time it had slipped out of the clamp and was working it's way into my turbo blades.