Catch can

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys mounting your catch can? Are you running a cdr in line with the catch can? I have a provent 200 knockoff coming this week.

For the last year I haven’t had a cdr, I have ran it right into the intake. I’ve never had any issue with oil consumption I just don’t like all the oil all over the turbo. I don’t have much blow by at all

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My early design ATS 085 has no CDR. They later changed the design to have the CDR bolted to the turbo's intake tube after the filter. Mine lacks the mount, just directly connecting the valve cover to the intake. It doesn't consume as much oil as my much higher mileage F250 with a newer CDR, so I guess it doesn't matter much.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you running a cdr in line with the catch can? I have a provent 200 knockoff coming this week.

Yes! I flipped my CDR around and ran the line from it to the inlet of the catch can which I have located kinda in front of the brake masters cylinder next to the washer fluid reservoir.

I'm pretty sure the provent knockoff has a built in blockoff but it was way easier for me to plumb it that way.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure honestly. I've been bad about really paying attention lol. Maybe a pint or so? Might not be as much on yours though. It was worse last time I drained it but I was also running thinner oil over the winter.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am using the provent 200 clone on mine without the cdr. However I also have it set up to drain the captured oil back into the crankcase when the truck gets shut off.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using the provent 200 clone on mine without the cdr. However I also have it set up to drain the captured oil back into the crankcase when the truck gets shut off.
How did you set it up to drain when the engine is off?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you set it up to drain when the engine is off?
There is a hose nipple on the bottom of the catch can that takes a 1/2" hose, you can run the hose either lower than oil level in the pan or use a special check valve that prevents backflow if you plumb it above the oil level. I plumbed mine into the fuel pump block off plate since I run electric fuel pump. The genuine provent 200 is designed to work this way to have service free use for thousands of miles on the catch can.

Here is the check valve. It is a 0psi check valve so generic check valves will not work
"MANN ProVent Check Valve 2400843621 | IDParts.com - Diesel Parts" https://www.idparts.com/mann-provent-check-valve-2400843621-p-2436.html

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a hose nipple on the bottom of the catch can that takes a 1/2" hose, you can run the hose either lower than oil level in the pan or use a special check valve that prevents backflow if you plumb it above the oil level. I plumbed mine into the fuel pump block off plate since I run electric fuel pump. The genuine provent 200 is designed to work this way to have service free use for thousands of miles on the catch can.

Here is the check valve. It is a 0psi check valve so generic check valves will not work
"MANN ProVent Check Valve 2400843621 | IDParts.com - Diesel Parts" https://www.idparts.com/mann-provent-check-valve-2400843621-p-2436.html

Thank you for that, I was wondering about that too! I figured there had to be a check valve of some kind for it to work correctly.

Steven Sochalski

Reaction score
Is there a specific hose id size for a catch can? I bought a parts NA with aftermarket ATS kit. There is a -10 AN fitting between the front IP pump plate and the intake arm with a catch can in the middle. The can has two -10AN ports. It was leaking from front and rear main seals, and I was concerned that reusing this part would restrict the crankcase breathing.

I was also looking at the 200 knockoff clone.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my setup. I used a Goldenrod filter with the optional stainless strainer. I improved it by surrounding the strainer with a stainless pot scrubber. I have the Banks adapter on the oil fill and my Hypermax intake accepts the CDR. Hoses are 1". I initially used heater hose but upgraded to fuel and oil grade hose. The filter has a petcock drain and I have to keep up with draining it. My blowby must be excessive because I capture 1/4 cup or so after a 300 mile trip. Not much makes it to the intake though. I don't have AC so that helps with space for this.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
Where are you guys mounting your catch can? Are you running a cdr in line with the catch can? I have a provent 200 knockoff coming this week.

For the last year I haven’t had a cdr, I have ran it right into the intake. I’ve never had any issue with oil consumption I just don’t like all the oil all over the turbo. I don’t have much blow by at all

I have not had a CDR for 30 years. a 3/4 hose connects the port in the valley to the intake at the compressor side. Total seal rings a couple years ago improved even more. No catch can, and very minimum blow by. You can see the hose here. It's about 3 1/2 feet long from the valley to the intake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online