OFFICIAL Red Head Steering Box Group Buy Thread

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked for invoice to be emailed to me and provided email address for them to do so after I ordered. I received invoice within the hour, if I remember correctly. Mine was $401 total, but I opted to take care of core return shipping on my own, so if they are providing you with core return label, that is the $35 above the $401 which means your total of $436 makes perfect sense.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Sorry to bug you about it. Have you found a place to get it for the best price?

I have an answer now

Long story:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291511389293?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I emailed the seller of this eBay store on March 21 to see when they'd be selling them again for $223.20. After a few messages, I garnered that Borgeson was in the process of moving manufacturing from CT to SC, and they were understandably a bit behind on orders. They said they couldn't open the eBay listing/store, but if I called them to order a 000981 they could get me set up. So I called them and it turns out its a speed shop called Spohn Performance based out of PA, and their website doesn't even list the shafts, but they sure do sell them!

So I called and ordered it on March 22nd and got it today. They're a bit slow, but it sure seems like a mom n pop shop, and I didn't have the RedHead yet anyway so no big deal. I called a few times just to check on it and it finally shipped this past Monday. I assume this was likely more due to the Borgeson move than them as the storefront selling it.

So if you're not in a huge hurry, this seems like the cheapest option. By a long shot. There's a few other listings on eBay as well.

Amazon has them too for cheaper than Summit etc.:
http://www.amazon.com/Borgeson-0009...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Amazon buying tip: When I'm shopping for auto parts on Amazon and I see that there are "used" parts available, (the "XX used from $***.XX" button) it is almost always parts that have been returned to Amazon and have slightly damaged boxes, so they're discounted by Amazon to get them gone, but they are by all means NEW. I've bought many parts for cheap by buying from "Amazon Warehouse Deals".

With that said, they've got one Borgeson 000981 shaft as of NOW for $244.08 plus whatever tax and shipping get it to you. That's the 2nd best current option, and arguably probably is a lot faster.

Other than that, regular amazon/eBay/summit etc/direct from borgeson is all about the same.

Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_4867.JPG
    IMG_4867.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4866.JPG
    IMG_4866.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 22

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Spohn gave you the $223.20 price, shipped? That's great. I'm not in a hurry, as my build has not begun. Only gathering parts right now.

Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I installed mine yesterday. I'm waiting till after work today to start it as per their instructions. It Went smooth. If you remove bolts for cooler line bolted to crosmember it will be easier to start threads on line to the pump connection, if you have difficulty starting threads. Pitman arm is a hard press. Heavy duty puller wouldn't budge it. It needed to be heated. Make sure you torque the pitman arm and recheck it a couple of times. It is a splined taper. At 200 ft lbs it keept moving upon recheck. I then went to 225 ft lbs and it got solid. Use never seize on bolts and splines. Its about an hour job not including bleeding. Remove tire for better access. Also remove rubber flap on fender well. This give you access to lines and rag joint.

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine, not on the group buy today, since so many of you recommended it. It was $401 shipped. I also ordered the borgeson steering shaft since it seems like a good replacement. I replaced just about all front end parts and the steering box is an autozone reman. It already has about 15 degrees of play in it after 5 months. It's lifetime but I'm not in the business of changing steering boxes every 6 months. Hopefully this takes away my steering play.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Mine is complete. I did the air bleed overnight as they instructed and all went well no noise and no air. It Steers better but I have to get it on the interstate to really tell. I did notice the leaf springs are moving quite a bit when I was bleeding air. It may be time for new bushings for them also. Also my boot on the steering shaft is shot. Does anyone know the part number for a replacement one. Okay got to go work and build a building or at least modify one so i can pay for the box.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine came in some time on Friday. it will be a little while till i can do the swap but here is some pictures.

there's the old girl waiting for some summer upgrades.

You must be registered for see images attach

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Mine is complete. I did the air bleed overnight as they instructed and all went well no noise and no air. It Steers better but I have to get it on the interstate to really tell. I did notice the leaf springs are moving quite a bit when I was bleeding air. It may be time for new bushings for them also. Also my boot on the steering shaft is shot. Does anyone know the part number for a replacement one. Okay got to go work and build a building or at least modify one so i can pay for the box.
i got one that's in good shape if you want it I'll see if it has a part number on it also.