OFFICIAL Red Head Steering Box Group Buy Thread

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking we should have 16 at least by end of day, but I could be wrong. I've been stirring interest on PowerstrokeArmy, Powerstroke.org, compD, and a couple Facebook groups I'm on.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I think summit sells steering shafts. I would do it now but there kind of pricy and my rag and u joint are in good shape. does anyone know why ford put a rag joint at the bottom of the shaft vs a u joint.

The trucks that I have replaced the rag joint with a u joint, have noise and vibration transfer into the cab, through the shaft and wheel. I dont know that it would be (the noise anyway) noticeable in most of these trucks though.

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure we should at least have 16 now. Cutty72 on the ORG joined in and just purchased his. Looks like ORG mods just deleted my threads about the group buy, though. Some vendors get upset about us getting deals.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
The trucks that I have replaced the rag joint with a u joint, have noise and vibration transfer into the cab, through the shaft and wheel. I dont know that it would be (the noise anyway) noticeable in most of these trucks though.
I guess that would be the reason for the rag joint vs u joint.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I got mine in the mail today. Return reciet is in with the paging slip on the outside of the box, so cut it open carefully. Remember not to destroy the box so you can use it to ship it back. They give you specific bleeding instruction which you should follow exactly because in my experience if you get air in these the pump can get noisy and sometimes it never goes away. Remember to keep it full while bleeding to keep from re introducing air, especially on first startup KEEP IT FULL.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Look what the mailman brought today. FAST SHIPPING!

There's still time!! Looks like $30 off list at this point!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    723 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Here are some torque specs from the 1993 FORD service manual.
rag joint 30-42 ft lbs
streering gear to frame 54-66 ft lbs
pressure and return lines 20-30 ft lbs
pitman arm nut 170-228 ft lbs
pitman arm puller ford part number T64P-3590-F

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I just got a follow up call from Red Head because I left them a message Monday to make sure I got my order in. I asked him while he was on the phone about fluid recommendations. He said to use DEXTRON 3. He said it handles the heat better and DID NOT recommend power steering fluid, which surprised me, but they are the experts and its easily obtained and cheap.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
As of 7:26PM Eastern/ 4:26PM Pacific time:

We have placed 20 orders!

Good work Oilburners. Enjoy that $30 savings. Hopefully in the next few weeks we get some progress reports of steering box installs and (hopefully) better steering trucks!

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well swapped in my spare box...seems tighter.still has the wierd over centre kerpkunk feeling.....replaced a 2 pc return line from cooler to filter with 1 pc.

Me thinks the issue lays in king pins and bearings....

Ugh...D60 kp...ooooo...nasty.

Well ifn had $$ woulda got one.

Way to go OB ;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully in the next few weeks we get some progress reports of steering box installs and (hopefully) better steering trucks!

back when i installed my red head in chip truck,it took me a week to unlearn how to stop over steering out of the corners lol!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not received a reseat yet on all the price break downs. this is what they charged me according to the withdrawals on my card a total of $436, one charge for $421 and another charge for $15, so that sounds more accurate. I cant wait to get the core $ back and the discount. :D I think it should be here tomorrow. :D