Now I have the OBS hydroboost pedal!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I had previously believed that on an OBS hydro conversion that the pedals vac and hydro were the same. It now appears that this is not true.
Vacuum and hydro pedals are indeed different for OBS trucks, just like they are for the bricks.

I bought a hydro/master assembly from an '88 FSuperDuty. It appears now that I need a different pedal. Do I need the OBS FSuperDuty pedal or will a brick FSuperDuty pedal be the same? I know where 3 brick FSuperDutys are, but haven't been able to locate a OBS FSuperDuty.
The hydro and master will work. The pedal assembly (pedal plus bracket) is different. Whether you can take a brick hydro pedal and bolt it in place in an OBS vacuum bracket and have a homemade setup that is equal to the factory hydro one, that I do not know. But if you already have the pedals, or can get them cheap, what's stopping you from trying? Worst case scenario it don't fit, then you put everything back together how it was and list the brick hydro pedal in the marketplace for someone with a brick or bull to buy off you.

Also if I'm reading correctly I should not use the FSuperDuty master but use my current F350 master with the hydro conversion.
You are reading it wrong. For a complete bolt-on affair you use the hydro booster, the hydro master, and the hydro pedal. If locating the hydro pedal proves futile, AND you do not want to modify your vacuum pedal, AND you are able to move the hydro booster 3/4" lower on the firewall (would involve drilling new holes at the very least), only then should you use the vacuum master. In other words match hydro master to hydro pedal, and vacuum master to vacuum pedal.

I know I need to get the pump reservoir with the 2 returns, but do I need an FSuperDuty PS pump? I only ask because someone told me, and I have no idea if this person is credible at all just someone who was putting in their 2 cents while I was at the parts counter, that the pump outputs were different and I needed a different pump.
The person is correct, to a point - IIRC it was in '89 when Ford switched the pump discharge fitting design from internal rubber o-ring to external teflon seal. This affected all vehicles using the C2 pump, from F-Superduty down to passenger cars. Pump itself is the same tho, and fittings do swap over. We're talking about the same fitting you remove to swap reservoirs btw. But I'd say don't worry about it, just buy new pressure lines for an F-Superduty of you model year and it will be a bolt-on affair on both the pump side and up at the booster.

Also I seem to see mixed answers on wether or not I would need a different proportioning valve. Also, my local dealer who I buy from told me the double return inlet reservoir is obsolete, and they are usually really good. Someone set me straight. I'm trying to get the right combination together.
Personally I would use the vacuum valve on the hydro master. They should swap over w/o problem. Or you can just run whatever is on the hydro master now. Doubt you'll notice much of a difference either way, especially if your RABS is still operational.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now we are talking about moving a pedal assembly 3/8" higher on fire wall, then a different pin, I'm not certain but now we ARE changing things other than FIRE WALL.

Bottom line, physics dictates that a pedal and the pushrod PIN that is MOVED closer to the pedal hinge itself will provide greater leverage and less travel than a pin position lower on the pedal arm. Moving the entire assembly up and using a 3/8 modified pushrod does not mean you will get the same leverage....
All I was saying is it wouldn't have been too hard to design the OBS pedal bracket so that it does in fact work with both the hydro and the vacuum booster. And while you are correct on the mechanical leverage difference due to the pedals, you completely forgot the hydraulic "leverage" due to the masters - a pedal with less mechanical advantage (and thus longer stroke) will simply use a master cylinder of smaller bore then the 1-5/16 monster the hydro pedal requires. Case in point, I'm using a 1-1/4" master with my factory vacuum pedal, and it works and feels great. Heck I'm sometimes even thinking of going back down to factory 1-1/8" bore size...

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hydro and master will work. The pedal assembly (pedal plus bracket) is different. Whether you can take a brick hydro pedal and bolt it in place in an OBS vacuum bracket and have a homemade setup that is equal to the factory hydro one, that I do not know. But if you already have the pedals, or can get them cheap, what's stopping you from trying? Worst case scenario it don't fit, then you put everything back together how it was and list the brick hydro pedal in the marketplace for someone with a brick or bull to buy off you.

I should have grabbed all that stuff when I was there. The problem is that it's 200 miles away, but I think now all I have is the pedal issue, which I can remedy. Thanks for the info.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course, there is still the option of removing the pin on the vac pedal and moving it up 3/4" and rewelding it in. Al suggested this to me way back when, and that would have been my alternative had Swervyjoe not found the hydroboost pedal for me. Not the hardest thing in the world to do, but still more of a hassle than simply bolting in a new pedal.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'm not crazy about modifying the pedal to that extent. At the same rate, I fail to see what is preventing one from simply moving the booster (and master) down the required 3/4" to line up with the vacuum pedal. I mean, all you really have to do is beat the studs out of the booster's mounting plate, drill another set of holes 3/4" above the factory ones, and then insert studs in new holes. If studs are too long to do that on the accumulator side just trim them down a bit first, IIRC they are 1/4" unnecessary long to begin with. If by any chance after moving the booster down part of the factory hole for its snout in the firewall becomes open and you can see thru it, cut a piece of sheetmetal and RTV it in place to close it off - you can sandwich the strip's bottom edge between the booster and the firewall, and if you still thing that's not enough (ever tried separating to parts glued with Ultra Grey?) by all means put a pair of sheetmetal screws along the top edge of the strip as well. You can dab some RTV in the old holes of the booster's mounting plate too after all is tightened in place, just in case. Spray with rattlecan of your choice, and no one will be able to tell the difference. Then reuse your factory master cylinder, proportioning valve and all, just slot its mounting holes away from the bore by 1/16" each. Heck you won't even have to disconnect the brake lines, meaning no bleeding the system needed (we all know how lovely that experience can get).

And that's all it takes. Four new 3/8" or 7/16" holes, possibly a strip of sheetmetal, some RTV, and half an hour with a Dremel (or even a small round file). No welder. Just basic tools and skills to use them. And no part of firewall or pedal assembly is compromised in strength in the process.

kawamatt

Reaction score
You are reading it wrong. For a complete bolt-on affair you use the hydro booster, the hydro master, and the hydro pedal. If locating the hydro pedal proves futile, AND you do not want to modify your vacuum pedal, AND you are able to move the hydro booster 3/4" lower on the firewall (would involve drilling new holes at the very least), only then should you use the vacuum master. In other words match hydro master to hydro pedal, and vacuum master to vacuum pedal.
Hold on now. Switch to hydroboost brake assist from vacuum brake assist should not be thought to require a new master cylinder. The point of this thread is to discuss the retrofit of the "assist" part of the braking system. I would hesitate to advise someone to change the stock master cylinder (which has been designed by Ford based on the front caliper size and rear wheel cylinder size) without also advising to change out the front and rear brake calipers/cylinders to match the displacement of the new master cylinder. Changing the master cylinder without changing the associated "downstream hardware" could result in either a too hard or too soft pedal or too long or too short pedal travel, based on which way you were to size it.

Also, for OBS trucks, it is a fact that the F-Super Duty master cylinder does not have a provision for the cruise control brake pressure switch. How do you switch and keep your cruise?

Again, the point of the hydroboost swap is not to alter the hydraulic design of the closed brake circuit (thats a whole other can of worms), it is to simply replace (upgrade depending on who you ask) the power brake assist function.

...you completely forgot the hydraulic "leverage" due to the masters - a pedal with less mechanical advantage (and thus longer stroke) will simply use a master cylinder of smaller bore then the 1-5/16 monster the hydro pedal requires.
So the rest of the braking hardware (calipers/wheel cylinders) has no affect on sizing of the master cylinder then? Have to remember that while the F-Super Duty has a larger bore master cylinder, it also has larger brakes for increased GVWR. You size the brakes for the GVWR, then size the master to provide the required volume to the brakes, then design the power assist system to provide the proper pressure into the master cylinder.

All the anecdotal stories posted by folks post-hydroboost swap about how the brakes are so much better is misleading. The brakes aren't any better than before (unless you modified the brakes). Its only easier to impart more force into the hydraulic brake system (via the master cylinder) with the hydroboost setup; result, you don't have to push on the pedal as hard as before to achieve the same braking force at the wheels.

kawamatt

Reaction score
Of course, there is still the option of removing the pin on the vac pedal and moving it up 3/4" and rewelding it in. Al suggested this to me way back when, and that would have been my alternative had Swervyjoe not found the hydroboost pedal for me. Not the hardest thing in the world to do, but still more of a hassle than simply bolting in a new pedal.

Yep, just like this guy did. Doesn't seem to difficult. Allows the use of an off the shelf hydroboost unit (no mounting plate drilling or firewall butchering required) and achieves the proper operating angle and leverage on the pushrod into the hydroboost unit.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196241

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold on now. Switch to hydroboost brake assist from vacuum brake assist should not be thought to require a new master cylinder. The point of this thread is to discuss the retrofit of the "assist" part of the braking system. I would hesitate to advise someone to change the stock master cylinder (which has been designed by Ford based on the front caliper size and rear wheel cylinder size) without also advising to change out the front and rear brake calipers/cylinders to match the displacement of the new master cylinder. Changing the master cylinder without changing the associated "downstream hardware" could result in either a too hard or too soft pedal or too long or too short pedal travel, based on which way you were to size it.
You hold on! You are forgetting that moving the pushrod pin higher up on the pedal changes its leverage. For instance assuming 2" travel down at the pedal pad (completely random number used for illustration purposes only), a pedal with its pushrod pin closer to the pedal pivot will provide the master with shorter stroke but with higher force as compared to a pedal with its pin further away from the pivot. Thus while the large master pushes out more fluid volume per length of stroke the shorter stroke provided by the pedal will partially make up for it. At the same time the loss of hydraulic advantage due to the larger bore is made up for by the increased force applied by the pushrod. In simple terms:
a) if you keep your vacuum master but switch to hydro pedal you will end up with softer pedal with more travel to it
b) if you switch to hydro master but keep the vacuum pedal you will end up with hard pedal with very little travel
c) if you switch both master and pedal together the negative effects of each of them will mostly cancel one another

Also, for OBS trucks, it is a fact that the F-Super Duty master cylinder does not have a provision for the cruise control brake pressure switch. How do you switch and keep your cruise?
Fact you say? In whose personal reality? Surely not in mine, or in these folks' for that matter:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...43aZ8kn47?itemIdentifier=532395_429915_0_5520

Again, the point of the hydroboost swap is not to alter the hydraulic design of the closed brake circuit (thats a whole other can of worms), it is to simply replace (upgrade depending on who you ask) the power brake assist function.
Which would be true if the dang Ford engineers did their job right and made the hydro line up with the vacuum pedal. You know, just like how GM did. For some 30 years in a row! But no, someone decided to be a *****. So we end up with this dang mess.

So the rest of the braking hardware (calipers/wheel cylinders) has no affect on sizing of the master cylinder then? Have to remember that while the F-Super Duty has a larger bore master cylinder, it also has larger brakes for increased GVWR. You size the brakes for the GVWR, then size the master to provide the required volume to the brakes, then design the power assist system to provide the proper pressure into the master cylinder.
Sure it has an effect. That's why people who use the full hydro swap (master + booster + pedal) report having somewhat reduced pedal travel, cause even with its matched pedal the master still pushes out slightly more fluid than the calipers and wheel cylinders are designed for. Yes that leads to the loss of some hydro-mechanical advantage. But since the hydrobooster dang near doubles the assist force applied to the master, the overall feel for the pedal is better.

All the anecdotal stories posted by folks post-hydroboost swap about how the brakes are so much better is misleading. The brakes aren't any better than before (unless you modified the brakes). Its only easier to impart more force into the hydraulic brake system (via the master cylinder) with the hydroboost setup; result, you don't have to push on the pedal as hard as before to achieve the same braking force at the wheels.
That actually goes both ways. Lemme ask you this, do you know what pedal force you're capable of? I know mine around 175 lbs measured at the pad. In a panic stop I'm gonna put that force down regardless of what booster I have. And if truck is lightly loaded either booster will cause the wheels to lock up (and RABS to kick in, if present and active). But when you're loaded heavy it takes lots more clamping force at the wheel brakes to cause the same lockup. That force is caused by line pressure, so if your line pressure is higher the clamping force will also be higher. That's the real advantage of the hydroboost system, it allows you to turn the same pedal force you always apply into higher line pressure and thus higher clamping force at the wheel brakes. Which really is only good if you have enough traction to use it. But if you're loaded so heavy traction is guaranteed either way, then hydroboost will indeed stop the truck faster cause of the higher clamping force it's capable of.

Yep, just like this guy did. Doesn't seem to difficult. Allows the use of an off the shelf hydroboost unit (no mounting plate drilling or firewall butchering required) and achieves the proper operating angle and leverage on the pushrod into the hydroboost unit.
Wait, did I see you mention pedal leverage? So you were aware of its effects, yet you conveniently left it out of the discussion about effects of master size. Why is that? Do you not realize the hydrobooster really doesn't care about the leverage that's pushing on it, and that said leverage is there only cause of the master size? Consider this - myself and at least one more person here are running factory vacuum pedals and masters with hydroboost between them - and both trucks stop ridiculously good with that setup. The catch is we don't use Ford hydroboosters - our boosters of choice require spacing out about 2" from the firewall, and the resulting adapters allowed us to line up the boosters to the vacuum pedal pin. Which is the situation you were describing at first - factory hydraulic circuits, factory mechanical linkage to actuate them, just stronger assist between the two. And it's the same thing that will happen of someone simply moves a Ford hydrobooster down 3/4" to line it up with their vacuum pedal and then reuse their vacuum master as well. But the moment you swap in the hydro pedal, even if it's only so the Ford hydrobooster don't bind, you will need to increase the size of the master to compensate for the reduced stroke of the pedal. Because like you said the wheel brakes require a fixed amount of fluid, and said amount of fluid depends on BOTH the bore AND the stroke of the master.

kawamatt

Reaction score
Here we go!

You are forgetting that moving the pushrod pin higher up on the pedal changes its leverage.
See post 38. That's the whole point of this thread.

a) if you keep your vacuum master but switch to hydro pedal you will end up with softer pedal with more travel to it
b) if you switch to hydro master but keep the vacuum pedal you will end up with hard pedal with very little travel
c) if you switch both master and pedal together the negative effects of each of them will mostly cancel one another
No, your right. scenario a) would be the result. What seems to be more common (anecdotally) is scenario b) though. I'd agree with scenario c) as written but also must take into account the downstream effect. The pedal travel matches up with the master, but without changing the rest of the brake hardware, your still going to have a short pedal travel due to the increased bore size of the super duty master.

I know mine around 175 lbs measured at the pad. In a panic stop I'm gonna put that force down regardless of what booster I have. And if truck is lightly loaded either booster will cause the wheels to lock up (and RABS to kick in, if present and active). But when you're loaded heavy it takes lots more clamping force at the wheel brakes to cause the same lockup. That force is caused by line pressure, so if your line pressure is higher the clamping force will also be higher. That's the real advantage of the hydroboost system, it allows you to turn the same pedal force you always apply into higher line pressure and thus higher clamping force at the wheel brakes. Which really is only good if you have enough traction to use it. But if you're loaded so heavy traction is guaranteed either way, then hydroboost will indeed stop the truck faster cause of the higher clamping force it's capable of.
Agreed. This is what I meant by anecdotal reports of better braking with only a booster change. You can get more line pressure with less pedal pressure.

Do you not realize the hydrobooster really doesn't care about the leverage that's pushing on it, and that said leverage is there only cause of the master size?
I don't agree with the first part. The hydroboost unit (Ford at least) was designed to provide adequate pedal feel and proper spool travel with the stock (F-Super Duty) pedal pivot point. So, maybe the hydroboost doesn't care (its a mechanical part), but you would because more or less leverage is going to effect the travel and force you can impart (and thats imparted back on your foot) on the internal spool valve. Check out this diagram of what happens when you push the pedal.
You must be registered for see images attach

Consider this - myself and at least one more person here are running factory vacuum pedals and masters with hydroboost between them - and both trucks stop ridiculously good with that setup. The catch is we don't use Ford hydroboosters - our boosters of choice require spacing out about 2" from the firewall, and the resulting adapters allowed us to line up the boosters to the vacuum pedal pin.
That's great news and I hope it continues to work for you.

Which is the situation you were describing at first - factory hydraulic circuits, factory mechanical linkage to actuate them, just stronger assist between the two. And it's the same thing that will happen of someone simply moves a Ford hydrobooster down 3/4" to line it up with their vacuum pedal and then reuse their vacuum master as well. But the moment you swap in the hydro pedal, even if it's only so the Ford hydrobooster don't bind, you will need to increase the size of the master to compensate for the reduced stroke of the pedal. Because like you said the wheel brakes require a fixed amount of fluid, and said amount of fluid depends on BOTH the bore AND the stroke of the master.
Your exactly right. The only thing that would be technically wrong with moving the booster down and keeping the same pedal pivot would be the amount of force you can impart to the booster spool valve itself. As you push on the pedal (which moves the spool valve) the booster pushes back at you. So with less leverage at the pedal pivot you can't shift the spool as much with the same given input force (your foot).

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, your right. scenario a) would be the result. What seems to be more common (anecdotally) is scenario b) though. I'd agree with scenario c) as written but also must take into account the downstream effect. The pedal travel matches up with the master, but without changing the rest of the brake hardware, your still going to have a short pedal travel due to the increased bore size of the super duty master.
Interestingly enough we do have a member here running configuration A. He was debating switching to the hydro master, told him not to touch it, all he's gonna gain out of it is reduced pedal travel, but he's gonna pay for it by reduced line pressure (as compared to what he's capable of now).
Configuration B blows any way you look at it. I feel sorry for anyone running that.
Configuration C, yes, you are correct there, and I did mention that further down in my post. I actually did a quick search last night, and there may be a solution to that - if configuration A has too much pedal travel at the footpad, and C has too much flow and thus too little pedal travel at the foot pad, maybe a master if a size between the two will balance the system out? The vacuum master is 1-1/8" bore, the hydro is 1-5/16", what if one uses a 1-1/4" instead? A factory master for a late OBS stroker (with the shorter wheelbase), will fit the bill there.

I don't agree with the first part. The hydroboost unit (Ford at least) was designed to provide adequate pedal feel and proper spool travel with the stock (F-Super Duty) pedal pivot point. So, maybe the hydroboost doesn't care (its a mechanical part), but you would because more or less leverage is going to effect the travel and force you can impart (and thats imparted back on your foot) on the internal spool valve. Check out this diagram of what happens when you push the pedal.
You must be registered for see images attach
This actually applies to most hydroboost units, not just F-Superduty ones. Well, the newer dual-valve GM units may be somewhat different (haven't dissected one of those yet), but the '70s all the way up well into the '90s are done like that. What I find fascinating is that in case of GM trucks the pedal does not change between vacuum and hydro booster, and in some cases the master is a bolt-on affair as well. Not only that, but the higher GVW 1-ton trucks actually run a 1-5/16" master, while using the same size rear wheel cylinders as what Ford powers thru a 1-1/8" master. Anyways you're right in that with the vacuum pedal the force applied on booster's pushrod is less than what the correct F-Superduty pedal can provide, resulting in somewhat less assist, but on the other hand if the factory master is retained then its hydraulic advantage will make up for the lower assist while still providing the spool valve with proper travel. Btw this is all considering matched F-Superduty master booster and pedal are installed in a 1-ton or smaller truck, comparing the F-Superduty and the vacuum setups in their factory applications is impossible due to the different wheel-end brake components.

Your exactly right. The only thing that would be technically wrong with moving the booster down and keeping the same pedal pivot would be the amount of force you can impart to the booster spool valve itself. As you push on the pedal (which moves the spool valve) the booster pushes back at you. So with less leverage at the pedal pivot you can't shift the spool as much with the same given input force (your foot).
But the force the booster pushes back at you with is also a function of the resistance provided by the wheel brakes thru line pressure and the master cylinder. Given identical wheel brakes clamping force and thus line pressure, the smaller master will impart less resistance on the booster, thus the booster will push back at the pedal with reduced force. So while this configuration (we can call it D, vacuum master and pedal with a hydro between them moved to where it lines up properly with the pedal) is still nor 100% ideal for our trucks, it may actually be more correct then your typical full matched hydro swap (configuration C from above). Either way tho, as long as the resulting line pressure is higher per amount of force applied at the pedal pad than what the factory system is capable of, and the driver is happy with their pedal feel (both stiffness and travel), then both ways will be considered an improvement.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

'93 f250 vac to hydro swap,f250 aluminum master (holes reamed to fit) oem ps pump with f-super res.oem vac brake pedal.
i have gained massive stopping power,but the brake pedal firmed up massively as well.
so i wouldn't say it's misleading.vac was outright dangerous on my truck when loaded.she was soft and mushy.now it's extremely safe.the pressure going to the wheel cylinders and calipers is massively greater,even though my pedal is massively firmer.
i can't wait to have my cake and eat it too.i had been hoping for this for so long.

now to look into moving the hydro down.i could use more room for my cowl induction anyway.this may be the best option for me.
good discussion guys.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of pure curiosity, how big is your master, 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" bore? Should be cast on the bottom of the bore.

kawamatt

Reaction score
This is a really good discussion. Lets see if we can put in some numbers to help understand better.

Initial Conditions:
12" pedal length
3.5" vacuum pedal pivot to pin length
2.75" hydro pedal pivot to pin length
1.125" F250 master cylinder bore diameter
1.3125" FSuperDuty master cylinder bore diameter
0.994in^2 F250 master cylinder bore area (Pi*r^2)
1.353in^2 FSuperDuty master cylinder bore area (Pi*r^2)

Assumed Conditions:
4" arbitrary pedal movement

So, by choosing the arbitrary 4" of pedal movement, using the ratio of the levers we can determine that pin on the vacuum pedal moves 1.166" (12"/4"=3.5"/X)
Through the same method, we can determine the hydroboost pin moves 0.917" (12"/4"=2.75"/X)

If we assume all pedal pin movement is directly translated to MC piston movement:
1.159in^3 F250 master cylinder volume flow (F250 master cylinder bore area*vacuum pedal pin movement)
1.240in^3 FSuperDuty master cylinder volume flow (FSuperDuty master cylinder bore area*hydroboost pedal pin movement)

All the above would be for a stock F250 and stock FSuperDuty with both having equal amounts of pedal pad travel imparted on them. The FSuperDuty has more volume flow as expected since (we assume) the braking hardware is of a larger size.

Lets see what happens when we start changing things.
First could be swapping in the hydroboost pedal assembly to the F250 while keeping the stock 1.125" master cylinder. We can work backwards to figure out the pedal movement required to achieve the original required flow.
5.091" pedal movement required (12"/(2.75"/(1.159in^3/0.994in^2)))
So with a hydroboost pedal and vacuum master cylinder, to get the same flow you will have to push 5.091"/4"=1.27 times further or ~5" instead of 4" in our example.
We can check all that work by just taking the ratio of the pedal pivots, 3.5"/2.75"=1.27

What I am unsure about is how that extra 1" that you would have to push the pedal to achieve the same flow would feel. Is the force multiplication of the hydrobooster linear? I am thinking its going to be alot easier to get a required flow by pushing through 5" than it would 4". This is why the pedal seems easier to push with a hydroboost? I am unsure.

So how about going with the FSuperDuty master cylinder and vacuum pedal? Lets assume we know we need the same flow calculated earlier, 1.159in^3 to stop the truck (given unchanged wheel brake hardware). How much pedal move would we need? We start by dividing the required flow by the FSuperDuty bore area size (1.159in^3/1.353in^2)=0.857" which is the required pin movement.
Then pedal movement is calculated by (12"/(3.5"/0.857")=2.938" pedal pad movement.
So with the super duty master and vacuum pedal, there is (2.938"/4") a 0.734 ratio of pedal movement to flow delivered when compared to stock. So a smaller pedal movement. This combo seems like a recipe for disaster. Opinions?

Lets finally look at a situation where you replace the master and pedal on the F250. Again, we know we want 1.159in^3 of flow out of the master to stop the truck (given our unchanged wheel brake hardware). How much pedal travel will be required? Same as previous, divide the required flow by the FSuperDuty bore area (1.159in^3/1.353in^2)=0.857" which is same required pin movement as previous example.
Pedal movement is then calculated by (12"/(2.75"/0.857")=3.74"
Thats damn close to the 4" that we originally specified!

So all of that doesn't take into account how the pedal is actually going to feel. I have no idea what the typical line pressures are nor what the force multiplication of the vacuum booster or hydro booster are. If we knew those things, we could actually calculate force on the pedal.

kawamatt

Reaction score
'93 f250 vac to hydro swap,f250 aluminum master (holes reamed to fit) oem ps pump with f-super res.oem vac brake pedal.
i have gained massive stopping power,but the brake pedal firmed up massively as well.
so i wouldn't say it's misleading.vac was outright dangerous on my truck when loaded.she was soft and mushy.now it's extremely safe.the pressure going to the wheel cylinders and calipers is massively greater,even though my pedal is massively firmer.
i can't wait to have my cake and eat it too.i had been hoping for this for so long.

now to look into moving the hydro down.i could use more room for my cowl induction anyway.this may be the best option for me.
good discussion guys.

I guess this would be the 4th option along with the three right above. Not changing anything but the brake assist. It would seem, based on geometry, that the pedal movement required to achieve required flow from the master cylinder to stop the truck would be unchanged. The only thing I can think of that would explain why the pedal got so much harder is that hydro booster has a different linear ramp rate of force multiplication. I.E. the slope of force vs. pedal travel is less than the vacuum powered assist (so you have to push harder to get the same flow).

You say the truck is much safer now, but I wonder if the safety you've gained is offset by the increased pedal effort? What if someone small (wife, teenager, old fart) was driving your truck? If they couldn't mash down on the pedal like you can, they won't have as much stopping power. Do you think your vacuum booster was failing and thats why the pedal was mushy? What does mushy mean in this instance? Would it go to the floor?

I would be super interested to see how you felt about the system if you were to only swap the hydro pedal in. If you only move the hydro unit down, the pedal is still going to be massively hard. This doesn't seem that safe to me?:dunno

You know, this whole question of the different pedals is starting to make some sense. It would explain why the lever arms are different between hydro and vacuum assist. Its possibly because Ford was just re-actively designing the pedal to conform to the force multiplication factor provided by the respective boosters. I don't think Ford designed either booster. The hydro boost is probably a Bendix design. No idea what supplier designed the vacuum booster. Could it have been easier for Ford to just change the pedal than have the supplier re-engineer the valving in the booster assemblies?

Last edited: