Now I have the OBS hydroboost pedal!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have posted this to my previous hydroboost thread, but I keep getting those error messages and the system hangs up. Anyway, I have been in search of a hydroboost pedal from an OBS F-Superduty. I searched the internet, searched the yards around here, made calls, etc. Finally found one at a medium/heavy duty truck yard not too far from me. When I called, the guy says "I'll go out in the yard and check." He calls me back 1/2 hour later and says "I've got the exact part you are looking for - $350.00 plus tax :eek: I said" you do realize this is just a brake pedal we are talking about-no thanks". Anyway, I posted a WTB ad in the marketplace for the OBS pedal. Member SwervyJoe PM'd me and told me there was an OBS F-Superduty in a yard near him. Now, SwervyJoe doesn't know me from Adam, but he offered to go and pull the pedal for me and ship it too yet! So, I now have my OBS hydroboost pedal thanks to SwervyJoe graciously helping me out. Thanks again, Joe! Oilburners is the best diesel forum because it has the best members, and this experience is just one more of the many that occur here that back up that claim. Now to start the hydroboost install! Todd

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thanks SwervyJoe...that's awesome!

Second congrats on that pedal!

Third, can you provide measurements and photo's depicting differences between a Vacuum pedal and a Hydroboost pedal PLEASE?

I want to see and know the differences so I can plan out my Hydroboost swap on my OBS cab

Thanks

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al, the centerline of the pin on the vacuum pedal is 3-1/2 inches below the centerline of the pivot on the bracket. The hydroboost pedal pin is only 2-3/4 inches below the pivot, or 3/4 inch higher on the pedal. The pics below are from my other thread, and I think 94IDITurbo7.3 originally posted them. Todd
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what it going on with this thread, as the pics are not displaying properly and there are multiple error messages.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres an obs sd in u pull it by me. Next time I'm there I'll check. I wasn't aware anyone was looking....

So long as it's a std trans model I'd take a pedal only as there is no need for the bracket, if cheap enough.

I have a bracket and would swap the pedals...

Or I suppose I could just drill my current pedal and weld up the old hole too....ROFL

Anyway thanks for pics..it helps out immensely!

I believe that all SD Hydro vs. F350 vacuum and lower trucks have different pedals, and have always believed that! These are different systems requiring different parts...

Again thanks for pics!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The info I have is that the hydroboost pin is 3/4" closer to the pivot point than the vacuum petal.

I have a automatic hydroboost petal I'll be selling eventually if anyone's looking for one.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iv never felt it to be accurate with my right foot,but iv been told 92-96/97 9th gen (OBS) F-super duty trucks used the same exact brake pedals the f250hd/f350 pickups.
it feels too dang firm.it always has to me.never felt "right".if anyone can actually provide proof,it would be cool,but i seriously think 9th gen owners who hydroboost swap are SOL and stuck with a firm pedal.
iv ******* about this many times lmao.such a great mod with a **** poor con.the extra firm brake pedal.

click this link.then click hydroboost at the top.then scroll down to read this,along with pics:
http://www.obspowerstroke.com/
****UPDATE 2-23-07 ****

Well I ordered the Superduty pedal assembly from a Ford dealer in Chicago. This part is obsolete so the only way to get one is if a dealer happens to have one left over they haven't sent back. I got it for $63.00 which was a good deal considering. When you look up these pedal assemblies they are different part numbers for F250/F350 w/vacuum boosters and the Superduty with hydroboost.
Here is what they look like side by side out of the box and out of the truck :
If you look real closely at all the pictures you'll see that ..... THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL!!!

.......... end.

id like to know why 9th gen truck owners are SOL.why did brick's get a devoted more ergonomically correct devoted hydro pedal but us obs owners got the shaft?
thats the real question.
out of all the mods iv done to my truck with many of them also having pro's and cons to them,this one in particular has always pissed me off.lmao.
end rant.

Last edited:

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pedal shown came out a '95 F-Super Duty. I'm not sure what option bull nose owners have other than drilling and welding.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pedal shown came out a '95 F-Super Duty. I'm not sure what option bull nose owners have other than drilling and welding.

Bull nose drill & weld...or modify a OBS or Brick nose pedal to fit...

Brick Nose...have superduty rigs so can get correct pedal!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iv never felt it to be accurate with my right foot,but iv been told 92-96/97 9th gen (OBS) F-super duty trucks used the same exact brake pedals the f250hd/f350 pickups.
it feels too dang firm.it always has to me.never felt "right".if anyone can actually provide proof,it would be cool,but i seriously think 9th gen owners who hydroboost swap are SOL and stuck with a firm pedal.
iv ******* about this many times lmao.such a great mod with a **** poor con.the extra firm brake pedal.

id like to know why 9th gen truck owners are SOL.why did brick's get a devoted more ergonomically correct devoted hydro pedal but us obs owners got the shaft?
thats the real question.
I have access to both 1-ton and F-Superduty OBS trucks. I also have access to various tape measures, and I know how to use them. I was able to confirm for Todd a while back that the pedal pin on the F-Superduty is indeed 3/4" closer to the pivot than the vacuum-boosted one. So no, OBS owners didn't get the shaft from the factory, there is in fact a dedicated hydroboost pedal for the 9th gen. Regardless of what any manuals or parts listing may say. And it seems that the parts listing shows the same pedal for any and all OBS trucks, regardless of brake booster type - that guy you quoted fell a victim to that as well. The dealer will send out what the listings say, and if the listing is wrong then you get the wrong part. Only you'll be deeply convinced it's correct, and then you're chasing your tail trying to figure out why the "correct" part sucks just as bad as the one it replaced... When I get around to switching the vacuum over to hydro, I'll take the pics you need to show you the difference. But for now you'll just have to take my word for it, I'm not gonna pull parts from running trucks just to prove a point.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bull nose drill & weld...or modify a OBS or Brick nose pedal to fit...

Brick Nose...have superduty rigs so can get correct pedal!

I used the pedal out of an 89 SD; swaps right into to the bullnose pedal assembly. These were both manual pedal assemblies, but I would imagine the autos interchange as well.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to confirm for Todd a while back that the pedal pin on the F-Superduty is indeed 3/4" closer to the pivot than the vacuum-boosted one.
The pics I reposted in post 3 above tell the story. (Thanks 94IDITurbo7.3 for orginally posting them) I was going to move the pin on my existing pedal 3/4" closer to the pivot to replicate the factory hydroboost pedal so the hydroboost rod would properly line up with the pedal pin until Swervyjoe found this pedal and pulled it for me. I also measured the vacuum booster and hydrobooster rod locations in comparison to the 4 mounting studs, and this also confirms that the pedal pin location for the hydroboost needs to be 3/4" closer to the pivot. LCAM-01XA told me before that the mounting plate on the hydrobooster can be rotated 180 degrees by removing it and reinstalling it that way. I checked that out, but that still would not have located the hydrobooster to properly line the rod up with the vacuum booster pedal pin. Of course, you could find different mounting brackets (or make your own) and find a combination to produce the proper rod alignment. But that is way more complicated than just finding the OBS F-Superduty pedal, or relocating the pedal pin as previously described. I could take some pics (when I get my vacuum booster pedal out) of the two pedal assemblies side by side, but the pics will look like the pics posted above. By the way, I looked at the OBS hydroboost pedal assembly I have for the usual stamped in Ford part number or engineering number, and there aren't any! The pivot pin is also a bit different in appearance than the pivot pin on the vacuum booster pedal. I should be doing my install in the next couple of weeks, so if anybody has specific questions, or wants some pics of a specific item, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have access to both 1-ton and F-Superduty OBS trucks. I also have access to various tape measures, and I know how to use them. I was able to confirm for Todd a while back that the pedal pin on the F-Superduty is indeed 3/4" closer to the pivot than the vacuum-boosted one. So no, OBS owners didn't get the shaft from the factory, there is in fact a dedicated hydroboost pedal for the 9th gen.

thanks man! :hail

these are auto trucks or manual? or does that matter?

this is why i constantly ***** about this,because i just knew something was wrong here and hoped someday,just this would happen.someone with the two rigs side by side could measure and see a difference.
now to find one.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LCAM-01XA told me before that the mounting plate on the hydrobooster can be rotated 180 degrees by removing it and reinstalling it that way. I checked that out, but that still would not have located the hydrobooster to properly line the rod up with the vacuum booster pedal pin.

Ah, not quite - pretty sure I told you the mounting plates can be swapped, not that they can be rotated. Maybe they can be rotated too, but IIRC they are keyed so they don't spin on booster as the nut is tightened. No need to rotate the plate anyways when you can flip the whole booster over, it's a common practice for IIRC Mustangs when they use a big block with tall valve covers which come dangerously close to the hydroboost accumulator. Or maybe it wasn't Mustangs but some popular GM car (Nova?), idk anymore, but that's how they solve their clearance issue. The hydroboost itself don't cafe in what position it's mounted, just so long as the plate geometry is such that when all is put together the master reservoir sits mostly horizontal. Of course then you'll have to get creative with the pressure lines cause they will no longer fit as is.

these are auto trucks or manual? or does that matter?

this is why i constantly ***** about this,because i just knew something was wrong here and hoped someday,just this would happen.someone with the two rigs side by side could measure and see a difference.
now to find one.
Just as your luck would have it, both trucks I measured were E4OD-equipped.

Btw didn't I send you a PM about this whole mess already? I though I did as soon as I discovered the difference... Then again maybe I didn't get quite that far, lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online