No fuel at rear return line?

soggybottom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been having hard starting issues, and decided to install clear lines at my return lines to see whats going on.

I started with the line from filter head to passenger front injector cap. There were no air bubbles, and the line stayed full of fuel with the truck off. I then did the line from the rear driver injector cap to the connector where all the lines return to the tank. This line has no fuel even with the truck running. Does this mean one of my driver side injector caps or lines must be leaking?

Truck starts excellent when warm, or if it has been sitting for only an hour or two. Glow plugs are new and working, but I have to crank for 10 to 20 seconds after the truck sits overnight or all day at work. When the truck does start it runs very rough and smokes a lot for a minute or two.

Thanks.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any leaking return lines? Sounds like what mine did before putting the kit on from type4 (Russ) ;Sweet:sly

It made a world of difference.

soggybottom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the return lines and caps with a delphi kit off of amazon. I see no leaks, but the caps seem really loose on the injectors. Am I correct in thinking the leak must be on the driver side?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caps should press down and CLICK into place when installed correctly...and be snug and difficult to move....

the small spring clamps are far superior to the gear style...don't know what you have..

Sounds to me like you have an air intrusion problem somewhere....

soggybottom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The caps clicked in place, but if I barely touch one of the return lines between the injectors, the caps will move. They have a lot of wiggle to them. The kit came with the stock spring style hose clamps.

I know it would only mask the problem, but would installing an electric fuel pump help with this?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The caps clicked in place, but if I barely touch one of the return lines between the injectors, the caps will move. They have a lot of wiggle to them. The kit came with the stock spring style hose clamps.

I know it would only mask the problem, but would installing an electric fuel pump help with this?

It can help...but it means removing the stock lift pump from the system...

You don't want to pump into the stock lift pump in case that pump diaphragm ruptures and then fuel would end up pouring into the crankcase.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
If you're not getting returned fuel from one side... then it's got to be going somewhere. There's ALOT of fuel returned, so it would be a major leak.

Now, did you check the insides of the new caps to see if they had casting faults before you put them on? If you didn't, and there was a ridge, it will cut the o-ring. (there's always AT LEAST one that's like that) Did you grease the orings before you slid the caps over them? Did you cut the lines between the caps to exactly the correct length? (too long and it will push the cap off center and it will leak)

soggybottom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned all burrs off of the caps before installing, and made sure to grease the o rings. The lines were cut the same length as the previous lines. None of the caps appear to be leaking.

soggybottom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen pictures of other trucks return setups, and mine seems different. Others I have seen have a return line from the injection pump to the front injector on the drivers side. My line from the injection pump goes to the rear of the motor where it connects to a tee with a return line from the rear injector on the drivers side. I don't know if this matters or not.

It seems like in order for there to be no fuel in the rear line from the drivers side injector that i should have a massive leak somewhere, but there are no fuel leaks at all.

Is the return excess from the injectors, or does it come from the injection pump?

soggybottom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put clear line on again. Here is what I have:

You must be registered for see images attach

Clear line from filter to right side caps. Clear line from IP to junction at rear of motor. Clear line from junction at rear to driver side caps.

I turned the key and the line at the filter filled with fuel. I then started the truck and the line at the IP filled with fuel, but the line to the driver side caps did not fill with fuel. It has maybe a half inch of fuel in it with the truck running.

When I turn the truck off the rear line has no fuel in it at all. The line at the IP has a few large air bubbles that go into the pump but there is still fuel in the IP line. And the line at the filter stays full, and has no bubbles at all.

Anyone have any ideas? All new lines, caps, and viton o rings. Also an electric lift pump.

Thanks