NMB2 drive video with gauges

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thought that I had to is that these engines are strong as hell. We just need those good gaskets that can hold and we would more easily be able to be in the 7.3 PSD range. We just have to get those gaskets with fire rings!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Been watching this thread off and on. My take is this. You want something so you attempt to build it. Going as far as this build you can't take anything for granted like a block or head surface finish. Everything must be measured and corrected if its out of spec. Look back at what happened to doc with his flywheel and engine. Who would have thought to check if the flywheel was drilled off center for the pressure plate. Not one of us. Then finding out his block had a low corner causing the compression to get into the cooling system but only when towing... These are areas that need to be checked and done by someone that knows what they are looking for. All engines are made with a variable factory spec. So maybe your engine is at the limits of a spec on the crank bores and the crank is stiff turning in the bearings. But it pass's inspection so its sent out to the line... Blue printing an engine brings al the specs back to what the engineers designed plus.. It reduces internal drag to all the moving parts. Reduce friction and you increase your hp. Thats not saying you have more than the factory specs. It just means you have more useable hp that was lost due to friction. I can't really state why this head gasket let go but high boost is a factor. I will question if the deck was trued or the heads were checked for flatness too. Was that particular gasket dropped or damaged in any way. Was the torque wrench really correct and did the studs get tightened and loosened the required 5 times. Also using engine oil is not the desired lube per ARP. Read about the torque differance between lube oil and the ARP lube. Its 30 lbs differance in torque. Use theirs and torque to 100 lbs... Use 30 wt oil and torque to 130 lbs... Now do this 5 times...:eek: Are your arms tired yet...:sly I'm impressed and send out my feelings that htis build was and is a great thing. If its shared with all thats great too but. If someone chooses not to share I respect that too. I personally share everything I have done so others can see what can be done. I have no reputation to uphold here. I simpley post what works and what doesn't work and I back up what I post. I know I put my neck on the block too when I post something that seems way out there too. Would I build an engine and push 30 + lbs of boost... Nope... I'm just not going to run that close to the edge. I do aplude those that can. Look at top fuel engines and clutches. Now its 8000 hp and a multi disc clutch pack but thats only part of the overal picture. Clutch engagement timing and traction add into this too. Those engines are on kill for less than 4 seconds. Yes, it would be a great ride once but rebuilding it after 4 seconds or strip time... :eek:cookoo:dunno Sounds crazy but its not.. The superchargers require 10% of the hp to turn them to make the boost... Thats 800 hp taken off the crank right there. What would we give to have an 800 hp idi. Go over to Utube and look for a top fuel injector viedo spraying fuel into the engine at idle and full rpm. Its impressive to say the least.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Sounds like he found out what the problem was, Hope he can get it back together for his Dyno Day!

Posted by NMB2 on PSN:

I can now say 100% without a doubt that the gasket, nor the torque wrench, nor the boost was to blame. I am to blame.

I missed something, and so did everybody else that looked at my pictures throughout the build process, which is sad because it was very obvious. It is going to be corrected today and thank god nothing else happened.

And no, I'm not telling you what it was, don't ask me repeatedly, don't PM me about it, don't be a whiner that NMB2 is keeping secrets again. Myself and the two others involved in repairing me for the dyno are aware of the issue, and it will stay within our circle.

The ONLY reason I am sharing this, instead of just marking it up to a gasket failure is because I care enough to let people know that I didn't reach the "gasket limit"

Take it for what it is.

Looks like he wants us to guess,...

Ron and I were talking about it today, and thinking that he may have forgot the dowel pins? :dunno Something that would easily be over looked, especially if you had head studs to hold the head from sliding off during assembly.

You must be registered for see images

If so that would be an easy fix! ;Sweet

Last edited:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Hmm.. to bad He wont fess up to what the mistake was. We all make them. But it might help Someone else in the future.

In the last pix, You can see some oil running into the valley.

As others have speculated, maybe He didn't stretch the studs??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... I see two reasons for a gasket failure after reading whats posted just above. Missing dowl alignment pins and oil leaking past a gasket.. Any oil on any surface will create a wicking action. Once thats started it will leak no matter how tight the fasteners are. Surfaces must be clean. No I actually see a third issues with this 6.9 head gasket. The lower corners where the coolant grommet fits is way too thin between that and the fire ring. The fix.... Well maybe I shouldn't tell anyone but there is a fix...:angel::rotflmao

Use a 7.3 head gasket and drill out the coolant passage so you have more material to help with gasket blowout... Really a simple fix. The 7.3 head gaskets do not have that lower corner coolant passage in them and I really don't understand why... I do know both 6.9 and 7.3 head gaskets are drilled the same and the cylinder firering is the same size. Just the coolant passage is missing on the 7.3...:sly

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
NMB2 said:
As for people guessing dowell pins, those wouldnt cause a head gasket failure,and was not the reason for mine. The oil residue in my valley wasnt from a gasket.

:dunno

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is what happened

alright, well I've been told about a few pretty bad stories. People forgetting to torque rod bolts, put pistons in, and many other crap far worse than my mistake.

The reason nobody found the pics is because I deleted it last night.

Watching everyone try to guess is getting painful and probably irritating to others, so f*ck it.

I put that piston in 180* out. I don't know when it happened or how, because I have pics of it installed properly, but it happened. This caused the gasket to get HAMMERED. Im surprised it lasted 1200miles.

I took pics, you can see the path the combustion took , as it was coked onto my cylinder... about a 3/4" wide path from where the pre-cup fired, straight down into the gasket, no spreading.

That being said, a few things I have to look forward to, is probably better cold start ability. I bought a block heater to install this go around.

Less smoke at cold start, and once warm, and I cant imagine the engine running smoother, but I cant imagine that it wont.

Also, probably more power!

I will post pictures later.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
"Watching everyone try to guess is getting painful and probably irritating to others, so f*ck it."

you think?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taken from his thread....still not sure how this makes sense though...

alright, well I've been told about a few pretty bad stories. People forgetting to torque rod bolts, put pistons in, and many other crap far worse than my mistake.

The reason nobody found the pics is because I deleted it last night.

Watching everyone try to guess is getting painful and probably irritating to others, so f*ck it.

I put that piston in 180* out. I don't know when it happened or how, because I have pics of it installed properly, but it happened. This caused the gasket to get HAMMERED. Im surprised it lasted 1200miles.

I took pics, you can see the path the combustion took , as it was coked onto my cylinder... about a 3/4" wide path from where the pre-cup fired, straight down into the gasket, no spreading.

That being said, a few things I have to look forward to, is probably better cold start ability. I bought a block heater to install this go around.

Less smoke at cold start, and once warm, and I cant imagine the engine running smoother, but I cant imagine that it wont.

Also, probably more power!

I will post pictures later.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No shame in making a mistake and no one will think less of you for it man. Herd some real bad stories here from some pretty good home mechanics., I'm glad you found it. Hopefully the piston wasn't hurt. . This is the right time to fix it not halfway between Ft. Lewis and the East Coast.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I cant wait to see this get fixed! But I just have to ask why he has to be such a **** about it all. O well, cant wait to see it get on the rollers.