NMB2 drive video with gauges

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He said he's going to try to have it done before dyno day. I'm glad it was just a gasket. Coulda been a lot worse than that but I bet it was fun while it lasted at 38psi. :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It **** the head gasket out of the pass side lower corner.

Hmm...time to get a 6.9 Block machined for 9/16" studs I would suspect eh?

here...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thats one way of finding the failure point of a studded engine. Its always a little bumpy running in unkown territory.

wmoguy

Reaction score
That's a bummer. Hopefully it's just a gasket and away he goes with a replacement. 38psi is pretty impressive considering most consider low 20s "the danger zone".

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did say the tires lost traction at 24ish 4th gear. Now we know why the o ringing may be needed.

Hes not bummed , just trying to get it repaired before friday, gonna do both sides ,obviously.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Damn that's some power!!

Its likely not a total "apples to apples" comparison, but my Cummins when it just had a single charger was only running about 45psi. With Water ****, and all the goodies, & 45 psi it was a touch over 525 rwhp & 1400 ft lbs IIRC. I'd venture to say Justin's rig isn't too far below those #s.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its likely not a total "apples to apples" comparison, but my Cummins when it just had a single charger was only running about 45psi. With Water ****, and all the goodies, & 45 psi it was a touch over 525 rwhp & 1400 ft lbs IIRC. I'd venture to say Justin's rig isn't too far below those #s.

Considering that the cummins is direct injection and has an overall higher efficiency rate, the idi's are probly handicapped at the same boost and fuel levels....

wmoguy

Reaction score
Considering that the cummins is direct injection and has an overall higher efficiency rate, the idi's are probly handicapped at the same boost and fuel levels....

totally agree, thats why I said it wasn't a true apples to apples comparison. That said if I was a betting man I'd wager he's over 400rwhp and under 450.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ya or what ever Hypermax used...:sly

Look here too BTW he only used oil for a lube on the head studs and god only knows how many times he ran them up and then down and up to torque again...That is critical and unless your willing to throw out a set of brand new HG you pretty much gotta do them all up....undo the studs and re torque em over n over about five times if I recall what Gary says ARP says.

So looking further there could be more issues as that HG gets compressed and released. I would install a new HG once the fasteners are on their final torque JUST TO MAKE SURE...there is that little less chance of failure:sly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-XXVk_vwKw

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been oblivious for a coupe of days due to being under the weather and this happens? Well everything does have a limit I suppose. I sure hope he can get it done in time for dyno day. I wonder where the fail point was, the ARP studs or the headgaskets?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
next fail point? if it isn't the engine, the zf will have a blow out. or driveshaft, or axle, etc etc.

This is half the fun of this game. I was thrilled with the first 500hp engine I built. course It was tempered a little by having to find a better transmission :)

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ya or what ever Hypermax used...:sly

Look here too BTW he only used oil for a lube on the head studs and god only knows how many times he ran them up and then down and up to torque again...That is critical and unless your willing to throw out a set of brand new HG you pretty much gotta do them all up....undo the studs and re torque em over n over about five times if I recall what Gary says ARP says.

So looking further there could be more issues as that HG gets compressed and released. I would install a new HG once the fasteners are on their final torque JUST TO MAKE SURE...there is that little less chance of failure:sly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-XXVk_vwKw

I broke in my studs doing that about 7 or 8 times for good measure. Still blew the head gasket out.