NMB2 drive video with gauges

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may ask why I'm putting his stuff here...well Justin is a friend of mine and I think he deserves a lot of credit for actually putting his money where his mouth is, after we've had so many armchair builders over the years...myself included...unfortunately. Anyway I hope we can keep the personal stuff to a minimum and as folks that enjoy these IDIs and generally love mechanical things and out of the box thinking appreciated it. Anyway with no further rambling from me....Justin with a daylight drive...boost and pyro gauge. Note the quick spool time and the max absolute boost pressure.
http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/NMB2/OBS CrewCab DRW/?action=view&current=MVI_3105.mp4

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never thought I'd see that kind of response with the boost on an IDI. Really Justin and a few others have figured out that once we fixed the head gasket and headbolt issues the big 3 aftermarket turbo kits really won't let us test the limits of our IDIs simply because they can't get to 20psi without choking themselves efficiency wise. So far he's one of only 2 people I know of (the other being that Navy guy from Va. Beach) to go so far as to build custom manifolds to take a better turbo. Other people have had different approaches to getting a better turbo on there, but I like the idea of building a bolt on kit better than the remote mounts. Whenever I build an engine, that ATS 088 will not be the turbo it gets, nor will it get a stock DB2 pump.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never thought I'd see that kind of response with the boost on an IDI. Really Justin and a few others have figured out that once we fixed the head gasket and headbolt issues the big 3 aftermarket turbo kits really won't let us test the limits of our IDIs simply because they can't get to 20psi without choking themselves efficiency wise. So far he's one of only 2 people I know of (the other being that Navy guy from Va. Beach) to go so far as to build custom manifolds to take a better turbo. Other people have had different approaches to getting a better turbo on there, but I like the idea of building a bolt on kit better than the remote mounts. Whenever I build an engine, that ATS 088 will not be the turbo it gets, nor will it get a stock DB2 pump.

Ya those turbos really help it breathe better!! Turbos are definitely one of the achilles of these engines for sure and I'm glad both Justins did those builds. They run really well. That cam seems to help a lot too. Also, with those remote mounts the guy named Pedro 8149 had a remote PSD turbo that boosts pretty quickly. Iirc he hits 20+ psi with is. Not too bad...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i can't even see anything. clean the lense of the cammera first of all.:dunno

i could see the needle move ont he bottom gauge. could not read what the boost was.:confused:

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can't even see anything. clean the lense of the cammera first of all.:dunno

i could see the needle move ont he bottom gauge. could not read what the boost was.:confused:

Around 26psi should be over 30 with water/**** injection.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats pretty impressive. None of my turbo'ed trucks would come close to boosting that fast or that far. Now to see how well this build holds up...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I am curious to see what the truck will do with the correct amount of fuel. You can see the boost and EGT just hit a wall and stop. that is due to not enough fuel. I wonder if he is looking to even MORE pump upgrades

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Wow his boost gauge makes mine look like a sun dial... with the 088 it moves at about the same speed LOL

;Sweet I wonder how that truck would act with a load on it. I'm assuming he has 3.55's to be able to hit 100mph :)eek:). With a 4.10 swap and a big ol' fifth wheel--I'll bet it would be impressive :sly

wmoguy

Reaction score
You guys should drive a Powerstroke w chip if you thing that spools fast

or a bombed Cummins.. :sly

what was max PSI shown in the video? My screen must suck (oir my reading glasses do) as I couldn't tell what it produced?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin