NMB2 drive video with gauges

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks very impressive, i know its not easy to be the camera man and the driver but it was hard to read the gauge. I cant wait to see this thing on a real dyno to see what kind of numbers it puts down. ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks looks looks....sounds.....lets wait and see some real #'s and applaud that out of the box approach!

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously? You better not be talking about a 7.3 with a stock turbo, with just a chip they're still much laggier than that, I know, I own two of them and regularly maintain 3 more... That thing spools as quick as, if not a little bit quicker than my Cummins, and it has enough fuel to push the poor stock H1C w/14cm housing past the limits of my 35 psi boost guage.

pennsylvaniabo: A HX35 is very comparable to what the aftermarket put on these engines, too small. That S362 would probably run very nicely on even a very mildly modified engine, yes, there's lots of air available there, but, it's not like you have to push the turbo to it's limit, and a nice clean running diesel that still makes good power is not a bad thing.

What about an H1C or a stock PSD turbo....there has got to be a better solution than $1500 for a turbo. I really do not want to spend 2-3 grand to max out an IDI, and only be hitting low HP.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have wondered about the obs stroker turbo, as they can make pretty good power with no intercooler. What turbo is used on the obs trucks?

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think anyone can take a PSD and plug in a chip, it takes a bit of talent to get an IDI to this point.

Basically, i like an underdog, and i think its freaking sick that it spools like that....

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
It seems like most places I go it is a group of us traveling together. Some of the guys have strokes, and some have cummins. I have a hard time keeping up at times, and they always beat my mpg by quite a bit. Generally I am lucky to break 12, while the stroke will do 14ish, and the lowest I have seen the dodge was 16. My setup is a couple grand heavier, but gets no better mpg without the extra weight.

Location is another factor to put into that. On a trip to Nebraska to pick up some irrigation pipe, my boss' Dodge (07' I think) was averaging 15mpg on the way down empty. On the way back with a good load of pipe, he was getting about 12mpg. (1200 miles round trip). The aluminum isn't too heavy, but the wind resistance drags you down with a load like the one I attached. LOL (Note, the pic below is of the trash pipe headed to the aluminum plant.)

On the other hand, the 2001 F250 with a V10 in the other truck was getting 9mpg down empty and 7mpg loaded on the way back... :puke: Our 96' powerstroke did its same old same old 15-16mpg towing a similar load... cookoo

Anyway, back on topic. VERY impressed with the videos from NMB2. Hope to see a dyno video sometime soon! ;Sweet

Attachments

• image(1).jpg
    image(1).jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about an H1C or a stock PSD turbo....there has got to be a better solution than $1500 for a turbo. I really do not want to spend 2-3 grand to max out an IDI, and only be hitting low HP.

Why not? You're going to spend that kind of money on anything but a bone stock rebuild where you do ALL the work anyway. You might as well go all out and have something you really like at the end of things. There are probably some cheaper turbos that would get the job done and one can snag these turbos at considerably less than 1500 if you are willing to buy used or think outside the box about where to get them. The main thing that's going to determine your cost is the extent of your ability to fabricate stuff like manifolds, uppipes etc. Personally I'd have to pay somebody to build these for me, I'd have to pay for all the machine work etc, but I could assemble the internal hard parts myself and put everything together. I'd just pay Justin to make the manifolds and pipes and I have access to a real good shop to do the work on an engine stand...the guy that runs the shop is a good friend and he'd help me with general engine stuff if I got stuck, but Id be on my own with the diesel specific stuff. I'm not rich so I'd have to buy stuff a little at a time and pay as I go...just like I do with any big project. Compared to a fresh rebuild and a out of the box new turbo kit...I just don't think it's that much more money.
http://www.youtube.com/user/CrawlinB2?blend=8&ob=5
Edit...maybe in this video you can see the gauge a little better

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just added a video to the previous post...you all might be able to see the gauges better with the backlighting.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not? You're going to spend that kind of money on anything but a bone stock rebuild where you do ALL the work anyway. You might as well go all out and have something you really like at the end of things. There are probably some cheaper turbos that would get the job done and one can snag these turbos at considerably less than 1500 if you are willing to buy used or think outside the box about where to get them. The main thing that's going to determine your cost is the extent of your ability to fabricate stuff like manifolds, uppipes etc. Personally I'd have to pay somebody to build these for me, I'd have to pay for all the machine work etc, but I could assemble the internal hard parts myself and put everything together. I'd just pay Justin to make the manifolds and pipes and I have access to a real good shop to do the work on an engine stand...the guy that runs the shop is a good friend and he'd help me with general engine stuff if I got stuck, but Id be on my own with the diesel specific stuff. I'm not rich so I'd have to buy stuff a little at a time and pay as I go...just like I do with any big project. Compared to a fresh rebuild and a out of the box new turbo kit...I just don't think it's that much more money.
http://www.youtube.com/user/CrawlinB2?blend=8&ob=5
Edit...maybe in this video you can see the gauge a little better

I guess i am looking at it like this. Till i build up an IDI with stock internals, add high performance pump, inj, studs, gaskets, cam, and turbo....I have really reached the end until you start getting more indepth and considerbly more investment.

Compare to say swapping in a cummins or dt360....you have a similar investment of 2-3k but from there your upgrade options are almost unlimited from inj, to pumps, to turbo, etc.....

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I don't think anybody has swapped in a cummins or dt360 for only 2-3k. It usually runs more along the lines of 5-7k.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I don't think anybody has swapped in a cummins or dt360 for only 2-3k. It usually runs more along the lines of 5-7k.

yep......can't be done for 2-3k period. (the engine alone should cost you that much)

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I really like what NMB2 has done and I think it is great to see someone having fun with getting more power out of an IDI. Some people are in the situation financially and have the time to play and I think that is great ;Sweet

For those interested I have some round about numbers of what it cost my brother to wrap up a Cummins swap. He took his time and made a lot of the parts himself it turned out really nice. I'm pretty jealous (mostly because they don't have glow plugs! :rotflmao), but when my IDI dies it will get another IDI :love:

$900- 91 non intercooled running Dodge with blown transmission and 250k miles.
+$1000 Sold the entire Dodge to someone wanting the axles.
$1200 95 F350 crew cab 4x4 with a blown 460
$600 (don't quote me here lol.) 47RH to BW1356 adapter
$3000 to rebuild and upgrade the 46RH Dodge auto.
~$600 in nickle and dime things to wrap up the conversion and make the truck reliable/dependable.

Round about total $5300 for everything including the Ford. I think it would have been far less expensive and better at the same time if he would have went a different route with the trans and adapter... Overall the truck is really clean, reliable and nice and is almost identical to my IDI other than the auto and Cummins for about the same cost of what I paid for mine.

Last edited:

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
pretty awesome stuff there my only concern is egt's when towing he can hit 1050 empty which is totaly fine but load it down im afraid he may be driving by the pyro.... although once the water **** injection is on that may be a non issue

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

yep......can't be done for 2-3k period. (the engine alone should cost you that much)

If you look in the right places, you can find a running dodge WITH a cummins for 500-1000. And I know of 2 DT360s for under 1000.

So a swap can be done for under 3k, but you have to be thrifty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online