New to me f350 what to do

Hamweld

Reaction score
Well I attempted to start her up and the solenoid on the starter had a loose connection from the solenoid to the starter motor the battery side was ok the cable from the solenoid looks like it has been very hot I tightened the lug down on the solenoid I’m going to put it back together and try again. I went to my starter and alternator rebuilder and he didn’t have a new solenoid. Have been looking on the web and am curious is this a gear reduced starter?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 12

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes. They all are except for the terrible Delco-Remy starters that came out on the early 6.9s. That is a Mitubishi starter and it looks like the short style. There was a short and long style of Mitsubishi starters. On second thought, it looks more like the longer style starter. You know which it is. The long ones just barely have enough room between the adapter plater that it bolts to and the engine crossmember to come out.

Hamweld

Reaction score
Yes. They all are except for the terrible Delco-Remy starters that came out on the early 6.9s. That is a Mitubishi starter and it looks like the short style. There was a short and long style of Mitsubishi starters. On second thought, it looks more like the longer style starter. You know which it is. The long ones just barely have enough room between the adapter plater that it bolts to and the engine crossmember to come out.
It’s the long one I didn’t think I was going to get it out was already saying some choice words at that point.

Hamweld

Reaction score
Ok so I put a new solenoid on the starter it turns over but real slow for about 5 seconds with the battery charger on it I’ve been doing this now all day off and on just too see if anything changes but everything stays the same. I’ve questioned the battery connections but I’m more leaning toward a starter rebuild. Suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 13

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Lol. Fix that battery connection.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery connections will get hot if they are loose. Don't forget to check the engine block grounds as well. There will be one on each front, bottom corner of the engine block.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this,drivers side firewall?
I see an open fuel hose there. Was it like this when you found it, or is this just you working on it? Either way, it needs to be connected either to the separator (which is likely leaking by now), or simply bypass the separator entirely and upgrade to a newer style as others have said.

HKT Firearms

Reaction score
Check that air filter housing too. Critters love to nest in them things and block your precious air flow.

Hamweld

Reaction score
Air filter delete on this ol girl! I bypassed the tank got it going to a 5gal. Pail in the passenger floor. I’ll fix and check the grounds next

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 4

Hamweld

Reaction score
Once I get it to cheech I’ll address air cleaner although I don’t think she’s had clean air for a while now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 12

Hamweld

Reaction score
Ok I’ve replaced the starter with a powermaster 9051 I think. New battery cable connections on the battery side military style clamps and it still won’t cheech. When I did the negative connections they looked brown if not black looked like they were hot.I’m not giving up!!! This is where I’m at new sad/ negative cables or try a different battery from the motorhome which is a 1000 ccas brand new. Suggestions?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online