New Electric Fuel Pump: Carter or Holley

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
What kind of pre-filter are people using? I already have a Posi Flo pump but it doesn't seem strong enough for much WMO use.

I don't do WMO, just diesel and the occaisonal gallon of veggy oil. I run the Perma Cool filter system on mine, click here and have had good luck so far after close to two years. I've changed it once in that time, last fall, will change again this fall. I have two new tanks, so I know they are clean, but I did have a possible filter clog. I'm not really sure what happened, but I'm now finding that my truck runs out of gas at about a little under 1/2 a tank on the fuel gauge on the front tank. Think I need to pull the sender out and "modify" it! :) At any rate, mine stopped running one day when I stopped for fuel, well, I shut it off for fuel, then it wouldn't start. I drug it home, then when I got it in the driveway, it fired right off. The fuel pump was running and I even jumped the oil pressure triggered relay to make sure it hadn't failed, but it wouldn't start. It wasn't hot or anything, but I changed the rear filter anyway, filled it with fuel additive, ran the pump and it fired right up and hasn't done it since. I did pull in to get fuel one day with near 1/2 in the front tank, almost a year later (just a couple of weeks ago) and it didn't want to start. Let it sit a few minutes and it fired right off. I am assuming it was out of fuel, or close enough to cause problems.

And the fuel sender was a used one I got from Darrin and hadn't been in there long the first time it happened. I suppose it could be broken now, but that doesn't explain the first go round either. I even pulled it after that to check it, it was fine! I just think the sender is showing fuller than it should because I can put 17 gallons or so of fuel in it with it reading 1/2 tank. It is a plastic tank though that they said held a little more fuel than the metal ones.

Anyway, more info than you wanted I'm sure, just didn't want you to search my old posts and think that I had for sure determined it was the Perma Cool filter, there are NO for sures on this truck! :)

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using that filter as a pre-filter for the fuel pump? Where do you have it mounted? My Posi-Flo has a little inline 70 micron filter right before the pump.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes, it is mounted just ahead of the fuel pump about 4 inches away. They are mounted behind a bedside tool box, just ahead of the rear wheels on the outside of the frame, sandwiched between the tool box, the frame and two pieces of heavy wall c-channel that are also used to space the toolbox 6 inches out from the frame.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just a cheapie parts store in-line filter before my pump, never had a lick of trouble.
I run a Carter P-4070(72 gph, 6 psi) on my 6.9 truck. Been on there nearly 4 years without so much as a hickup, and my local parts store has been selling them for deisel apps for years.
The big advantage of one of the Carters over a Holley is it's a brushless, wet motor, so there's no shaft seal to go bad, and the pump is cooled by the fuel.

I have my pump mounted on the framerail just ahead of where the tank selector valve would be, with the filter just ahead of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online