Need Traction Bars

FOXY005

Reaction score
I spent a week on the beach in North Carolina and in the loose
sand where it started to bog I experienced a lot of rear wheel hop / axel wrap.

Can't seen to find a source for a set of traction bars that fit the "03" 2500, which I figured would really help with the wheel hop. I even tried the Dodge Dealer Parts Dept. and they had no listing for a OEM set, I thought that way I would have no warraty headaches.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Note: currently running stock 265 BFG's aired down to 20 PSI on the sand.

BigSix

Reaction score
I've thought about a set of standard old fashioned traction bars too. If not for the tire hop, for the launch shudder when towing heavy. I've seen them for both under and over axles so I know they're available. Might give the local performance shop a call if the 4X4 shop doesn't come through...
The other thing is a good set of shock absorbers might help alot. The stockers do very little to control the axle. They're just enough to give a smooth test drive around the block. Then they're shot. I'm waiting for Bilsteins to became available for the '03 4X2.

FOXY005

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

I will try the local speed shops, they may be able to help with the traction bars.
The 4x4 places only list traction bars for "02" models, and the shocks may also help stop the wheel hop

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is nazerth pa? I would be able to give you a hand fabbing some up if you can not find a set that you like... I am close to pittsburg,pa.....
I would say three rod ends and some dom tubing couple small brackets sand you are ready to go...

FOXY005

Reaction score
Nazareth, PA is about 15 miles from the New Jersey border in NorthEast PA.
Thanks for the offer if I cant find any off the shelf I may have to modify a set or fabricate a set.
I have a buddy that is into metal work and welding so if I have to go that route I should be OK.

Last edited:

FOXY005

Reaction score
Yeah I am aware of the warrany Issues with the new frame, thats why I went to the Dodge Parts Dept. first to see if they had an OEM set.

Unfortunately the guy in the Parts Dept. acted like he had never heard of traction bars, and could find no listing for them.

BigSix

Reaction score
"DONT weld, cut, or drill your frame...just a heads up."

Better duck that one...:moon:
That was spread around when the 3rd gens came out. You can drill or weld to the frame as long as you comply with the guidelines spelled out in the technical service write up. Drilling or welding to the frame has always had the same warranty implications. If the frame fails due to your handywork, you're on your own. This is true for all manufacturers of any make vehicle. You can weld or drill the frame. I drilled mine to install my Reese 15k hitch. It's holding up great and the dealership I bought it from gave it a thumbs up.:D

One mo thing... I wouldn't recommend the ladder type traction bars. There have been some frame issues even with C channel frames using them with the high torque of the Cummins. Good old fashioned traction bars like "Lakewoods" I think they're called would be a better bet as they put the load on the springs and spring perches and not the side of the frame.

Last edited:

Kyle Graham

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a set in the prototype phase if you go onto the vendor section you can see the set I just finished for the second Generation trucks I hope to have pics of new set for the third gen's by 22nd of April.

FOXY005

Reaction score
Very interesting, They look pretty good & beefy.
How do the fasten up, Are they a bolt on set with no drilling or welding?
And is all the needed hardware included?

scrappy

Reaction score
traction bars

Kyle;
How are those bars coming? How much are you asking for them, and do you drill the frame? (I know the frame can be drilled if it is in a specific area)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle