need help please

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Does your coolant system build pressure if you remove the oil filler cap while running?

There aren't very many places here for exhaust gases to be getting into the coolant system that fast. One would be right through the cylinder wall, and secondly would be through the ports in the head somehow or head gasket failure. You had the head checked, you replaced the gasket, is there any place else other than the cylinder wall (cavitation).

Did you replace both head gaskets?

fordf350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I replaced both head gaskets and the heads were preasure checked, and the piston walls were fine and very clean, the truck only has 139000 on it.

fordf350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not getting fuel or water in my oil or any other way around everything is were it should be, my window dogs up sometimes when u try to use the heater

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Sounds like heater core. Mine did the same thing. My heater core looked very old and nasty. Does it smell like coolant in the cab and is the passenger side floor wet?

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Sounds like heater core. Mine did the same thing. My heater core looked very old and nasty. Does it smell like coolant in the cab and is the passenger side floor wet?

fordf350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It smells once in a great while but floor is dry, if the heater core is bad or plugged would it cause my hoses to build up preasure and be hard?

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Mine only smelled a lil bit at first just with the heat on then it got so I didnt want to drive it. It could cause the hoses to get hard from backing up the system. Mine was only $25 and took maybe ten mins.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the heater-core WILL fix the window-fogging/poor-heat problem; however, it WILL NOT fix the pressure problem.

The heater-hose system would simply by-pass, even when a cut-off valve completely closes off the flow.

Does it lose any coolant ??

I will relate my mysterious coolant situation that continues EVEN AFTER AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT ENGINE SWAP.

For years, with the original IDI 6.9, I could pull up to the pumps, shut the engine OFF, fuel the tanks, and then REMOVE the radiator-cap with no fear of losing a drop of coolant.

Then, just out of the blue, no matter even if the engine had sat cold and un-used for a week, or had been driven hard twenty minutes before, when I would loosen the cap, coolant under pressure would spray all over the place.

It was never low; and, the only coolant ever lost was that that sprayed from under the cap when loosened.

I tried and tested everything and never did figure out the cause.

I tried probably half-a-dozen replacement caps to no avail.

Then, I swapped the I-H IDI-6.9 for a 6BT Cummins; and, much to my surprise, still had the spewing radiator cap situation.

Still never a drop of coolant lost, no over-heating issues, no other problems whatsoever. :dunno

I ran the old original radiator for a few months after the Cummins swap; then, just because it was old and possibly ready to cause problems, I installed a brand-new radiator; still no change in the spewing problem.

I replaced the plain cap with one that has a pressure-release lever.

So long as I always lift the lever first, I can remove the cap anytime I please and no more pressure spewing coolant all over. ;Sweet

fordf350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I don't have any coolant leaks, its always full but when it running my hoses are hard, I prob have a bad engine,

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
How hard are your hoses? Which ones are hard? Can you pinch them any? If it's not overheating or leaking and you have decent heat I don't see the problem. Besides may e a heater core.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that Napa thermostat is part of your problem. It will cause problems in the futrue. Get it out and a Ford or IH thermostat in there.

Heath

We came to own the NightMoose because of a NAPA thermostat. Installed by a local garage a year before the truck overheated and ate the 300 six that was in it. ;Really