need help please

fordf350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1986 6.9 started building up preasure in the radiator as soon as u started it and was flowingout the over flow and I thought is was headgascket so I put new ones on and started it last night and still the same thing happened, could it be a water pump? I don't know what to do please help, thanks a lot.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Mine dosent over flow but it does build pressure fast. In ten Of driving it at 185 degrees. I do need a compression test done. Idk of this truck has ever had much preventive maintaince. Most of the stuff I replaced was factory parts. I pretty sure my ip and heftier are stock and ip has not had anywork don't to it.I am starting to think head gasket because of the clouds of white smoke and lack of power.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
If it was a 7.3 id say cavitation but I don't think 6.9's have that issue it could be a waterpump

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
It dosent over heat or run real hot. It never goes over 190 and that's when I'm romping on it in the mud or deep snow. I can run three hrs on the hi way and it runs 160 ish. The coolant bright bright green and has to more rust color to it after I flushed the crap out it.

fordf350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking is water pump, as soon as I start it the coolant hoses are hard as a rock, or mayber the radiater is plugged,

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it bubbling air in the raditor? Any coolant in the oil, and oil in the coolant? Is the thermostat a ford or IH part?

Heath

fordf350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it over heated once for just a min then I shut it down, and no there is no fluids were they shouldn't be, and the heads were all redone, I think the antifreeze might bubble but I would have to check again,

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.9's are not well known for cavitation, but are certainly not immune. What kinds of tests did you perform prior to swapping out the headgasket to ensure you were doing the right thing? ;Really

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Mine use to get pretty hot but now it's mild heat. I changed the heater core and have no leaks. Might try the heater core it's was only $25 from a zone. Or a thermostat.

fordf350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a plugged heater core make me build up that much preasure to make my lines as hard as rock? And I don't know what thermostat I have. Why does it matter? Thanks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I don't know what thermostat I have. Why does it matter? Thanks

Aftermarket (anything other than Ford or International) thermostats for these IDI will not flow coolant correctly. That can lead to overheating/coolant issues. Ford part number is ETZ-8575-C. It opens at 192 degrees. Did you get your thermostat from Ford or IH during the headgasket job?

Heath