My WMO Experience

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not take two buckets, one with a lid, and cut say " hole in the lid and slap it on. Then cut a similar hole in bottom of the second bucket. Rest the second one on the lid with the hole cut out of it. Put your bed sheet sievee in the top bucket and pout in 5 gallons and walk away....

You can do that :)

Better mouse trap!

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more like 10-30 microns. This at least gets big dirt n twigs or whatever might have fallen into the drain container when the oil was dropped.
I think the sheet is better than the cotton t-shirt others use. That's because the sheet isn't elastic like the shirt is. But hey, I think it's worth doing this as the big stuff will clog a filter in nothing flat

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
mine is a 55 gallon drum with material strecthed over it filter 10 gallon at a time... but I mix my oil and fuel first ..
1) to thin it to filter better
2) it was argued that the dirt in the oil(and other stuff) doesn't let lose until its mixed with diesel or gas..
also I have about 10 magnets in the bottom of my barrel to catch metal particals then I pump it into my holding tank through a 10 micron factory spin on filter then a house filter (1 micron) then a fram g-12 filter (for any water) this way I know I wont clog my filters from my wmo.. now algee is another thing my tank had a lot so I went through a fram g-12 a day for a week... filter in my truck is a fram g-12 after selector valve then my eletric pump then the factory 10 micron... so I will alway clog the $2 filter befor the 12 dollar one or my injection pump.

SuperDuty335

Reaction score
Has anyone seen sub-micron filters? The following website advertises a 1/10th micron filter: www. hydrogenappliances. com Typing error?

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mankypro,
I read in a journey to forever article (WVO) biodiesel some people use old blue jeans to first filter out impurities in the oil. Your thoughts on this. Can you help me with plans for either WVO or WMO set up on my 1990 F-350 N/A
7.3L truck. Diesel here is $4.50 a gallon. Thank you. gsgIDI

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I'm new to this as well, I'm making everything up as I go! I'm thinking of using some sort of cotton material to pre-filter into my drums to save money on filters...

So just read up, my advice is worthless as I'm new to this as well.

Mankypro,
I read in a journey to forever article (WVO) biodiesel some people use old blue jeans to first filter out impurities in the oil. Your thoughts on this. Can you help me with plans for either WVO or WMO set up on my 1990 F-350 N/A
7.3L truck. Diesel here is $4.50 a gallon. Thank you. gsgIDI

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gsgIDI what type of plans do you need? The nice thing about wmo is that you really don't need plans. Filter the oil really well. Make sure there's no water in the wmo. Start with 25% wmo/75%diesel then work your way to a mixture that suits your truck and climate. Also do the mixture adjustment again when it's cold. Options would be a remote filter for the tank that uses wmo and a heating system for the fluid should you so desire. You don't have to change seals or tank switches because of using wmo but you should change them if you use wvo. But there is an important thing you need to make sure of. Your injectors and injection pump should be in good working order and injection timing should be properly set for your needs.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.. now algee is another thing my tank had a lot so I went through a fram g-12 a day for a week... filter in my truck is a fram g-12 after selector valve then my eletric pump then the factory 10 micron... so I will alway clog the $2 filter befor the 12 dollar one or my injection pump.

After a side-of-the-road and get log-chained home by a milk-truck fiasco, due to clumps of dead "algae" clogging the screen in my piston-lift-pump, I started using one of those cheapie plastic see-thru inline Fram-G15-type filters ahead of the lift-pump.

Sometimes I can go three months; sometimes one day, before the fuel-pressure gauge starts dropping.

I did a bunch of research on the situation; then I ordered FOUR of these :

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com:8080/mpeCart/details.faces?productId=41103601&Go.x=18&Go.y=19

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/qlmarine/fuel-filter-22269-52931.html

note : click on "more details"

I got the middle-sized ones.

Here is a very informative article of the problem and the magnetic fuel decontaminators, identical to the ones I have ordered (not here yet) :

http://www.morison.com.au/4x4_3.htm

If you "google" algae in fuel, a whole host of articles will come up on the subject; and, in almost 100% of the testimonials of those who actually had a fuel disease infestation problem, generous applications of so-called algaecides were of little or no effect on the situation.

One thing of note that I have learned :

Many is the fuel-stop and filling-station that has been :angel: wrongly accused of dispensing a bad tank of fuel into someone's tank.

What actually happens is that something happens to create a mass kill of the organisms living inside the fuel-tank, causing them to clump together in gelitanous globs:puke: ; then, after running the tank down to the dregs, the blissfully-ignorant truck owner sticks the high-volume nozzle in the tank and commenses to really stir things up; then, about two miles down the road, the engine shuts down for lack of fuel; the filter has clogged.

:dunno Not being able to see inside any portion of the fuel-system, not even in the filter, the driver immediately jumps to the conclusion that the fuel they just bought is contaminated and full of crud.

They will then proceed to whine:mad: and tell anyone that will listen that the fuel down at such-and-such truck-stop is no good.-cuss

Not one driver that hears the complaint will ever buy fuel at that place again, NEVER, not in a million years; all because living organisms lurk within the dark confines of diesel-fuel tanks.:eek:

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Pretty sure a liter of acetone in an empty tank over night every few weeks would do the job of keeping the botton of the tanks pretty clean?

After a side-of-the-road and get log-chained home by a milk-truck fiasco, due to clumps of dead "algae" clogging the screen in my piston-lift-pump, I started using one of those cheapie plastic see-thru inline Fram-G15-type filters ahead of the lift-pump.

Sometimes I can go three months; sometimes one day, before the fuel-pressure gauge starts dropping.

I did a bunch of research on the situation; then I ordered FOUR of these :

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com:8080/mpeCart/details.faces?productId=41103601&Go.x=18&Go.y=19

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/qlmarine/fuel-filter-22269-52931.html

note : click on "more details"

I got the middle-sized ones.

Here is a very informative article of the problem and the magnetic fuel decontaminators, identical to the ones I have ordered (not here yet) :

http://www.morison.com.au/4x4_3.htm

If you "google" algae in fuel, a whole host of articles will come up on the subject; and, in almost 100% of the testimonials of those who actually had a fuel disease infestation problem, generous applications of so-called algaecides were of little or no effect on the situation.

One thing of note that I have learned :

Many is the fuel-stop and filling-station that has been :angel: wrongly accused of dispensing a bad tank of fuel into someone's tank.

What actually happens is that something happens to create a mass kill of the organisms living inside the fuel-tank, causing them to clump together in gelitanous globs:puke: ; then, after running the tank down to the dregs, the blissfully-ignorant truck owner sticks the high-volume nozzle in the tank and commenses to really stir things up; then, about two miles down the road, the engine shuts down for lack of fuel; the filter has clogged.

:dunno Not being able to see inside any portion of the fuel-system, not even in the filter, the driver immediately jumps to the conclusion that the fuel they just bought is contaminated and full of crud.

They will then proceed to whine:mad: and tell anyone that will listen that the fuel down at such-and-such truck-stop is no good.-cuss

Not one driver that hears the complaint will ever buy fuel at that place again, NEVER, not in a million years; all because living organisms lurk within the dark confines of diesel-fuel tanks.:eek:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Pretty sure a liter of acetone in an empty tank over night every few weeks would do the job of keeping the botton of the tanks pretty clean?

Yeah I'm sure it would, but how hard would it be to get a liter of acetone out of a tank that is supposed to hold 15+gallons (that would be like 1/40'th of a tank, not very much, would probably be real hard to get out).

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
just toss diesel or wmo in - acetone will burn along with it - I believe it's a large component in injector cleaners...

Yeah I'm sure it would, but how hard would it be to get a liter of acetone out of a tank that is supposed to hold 15+gallons (that would be like 1/40'th of a tank, not very much, would probably be real hard to get out).

FordGuy100

Reaction score
just toss diesel or wmo in - acetone will burn along with it - I believe it's a large component in injector cleaners...

I suppose. I would probably only do it on a larger tank though, not the stock 15-16 or whatever they are tanks. 1 liter of acetone = about 33 ounces, and I only hear people say put in an ounce per gallon, so that my thought.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 oz per gallon should be acceptable. An electric fuel pump connected to that tank would solve the problem. after flushing tank, add liquid back in tank then pump it out again removing most of the solvent.