My WMO Experience

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Well, not quite WMO, but I had a gallon of 15w40 Rotella that had been left in my garage by the previous owner and I really had no idea what was in there, looked clean, so I poured it in my front 16 gallon tank with about 10 gallons of regular diesel.

I had tossed about 2 quarts of straight filtered WVO in a few days prior - in 16 gallons of diesel.

Now, I am noticing that the engine seems to run quieter, and there is DEFINITELY more power when I stomp on the accelerator. There is also a ********* cloud of smoke coming form the tailpipe if I really goose it - something which I'd not noticed before.

I'm about to start my use of WMO in earnest this week, as I'm picking up a 240 gallon tote full of oil and I want to start filtering it down to 1 micron before blending it 50/50 with diesel. Temps here are in the 90's so I wasn't going to worry much about cutting the oil yet since it should flow fairly well in these temps.

In any case I wanted to ask about filtration. SHould I just go to the Home Despot and buy standard home filters? and pipe them in? Like a 10 micron followed by a 1? or do 5, then 1? Should I bother with water separation much? I think I've read about using a "Goldenrod" filter? Are these the separators that you see in glass housings on free standing fuel tanks?

I'd love any pointed advice I could get on this. Is there a cheaper way to go to find out if WMO is for me and my truck?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Whole house filters work very well, the golden rod You can get at any TSC I have one on My truck and it works well too.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been running WMO filtered only by a standard spin on 10 micron filter, and again by the filter on the truck for over 2 years. I probably save on average about $400 a month at present fuel prices. That's $9600 in two years. I just replaced my IP and injectors. Cost me about $800, so I only saved $8800 in two years. :rolleyes:

LOL

You can spend all kinds of time filtering that stuff, but I see no value in it.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
The biggest issue I have is having a source of WVO that I'm not familiar with, I want to start out cautiously filtering the stuff well, I may get more careless later :) I'm not even shade-tree mechanic level so doing the IP, injector replacement is not a trivial matter for me.

I was planning on using two 55 gallon drums to start, with a transfer tank style pump on the dirty oil drum, pipe it through copper/pvc fittings to a 10 micron house filter (Lowes), then through a 1 micron one, then to a goldenrod. I figured I might put a psi gauge one both sides of the filters with ball valves so I can regulate flow as to not blow out the filters. I'd maybe use a clamp on band style drum heater to get the oil to like 100'F coming out of the dirty tank. Then I'd drop it all in a 55 gallon clean drum.

Thoughts? Overengineered?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yes the link you have is the same golden rod filter you can get from TSC (tractor supply company) a walmart of the farming world. i would use the golden rod first since they are 15 or 10 mic depending on which cartridge you get.

after that i use the house water filter down to 1 mic. you can do it in steps but so far in my experiance if one is going to clog it has be the first 10 mic catching the crap. i have been thinking of adding another screen type filter before all of them that can be cleaned and re-used to catch the big stuff first.

i have thoght about pressure gages as well to see the clogged filter but i wouldent worry about blowing out the filters unless you have gear pump. i think they are rated for something like at least 100 psi (double check that).

discbrks

Reaction score
That doesn't sound over-engineered to me. That's real close to the ideas I have. My only difference is that I was planning on using a 120v pump instead of a hand pump.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Let me repeat my post from the other WMO thread. WVO and WMO should filter about the same.

Here is what I did:
From McMaster-Carr I ordered the following filterbags:
5162K37 Polyester Felt 50 micron Size1
5162K85 " " 10 micron Size 1
5162K76 " " 1 micron Size2.

The Size one bags are 7" diameter X 16 1/2 inches long.
The size 2 bag is 7 inches diameter X 32 inches long
I put the 50 micron bag inside the 10 micron bag, and then this inside the longer 1 micron bag.

I suspended the whole thing from a shopmate, but I have seen PVC pipe frames made for this. A 5 gallon bucket is placed under the bags.
I poured some WVO into the top of the filter and clean --filtered to 1 micron--oil came out the bottom, and into the bucket.
I was surprised at how quickly the oil came thru the filters.
Total cost for the three filters, including shipping was $21.18.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
My question is what are the relative merits of WVO and WMO and WATF.\Can anyone point to a brief list outlining pros and cons of each of these fuels?

By the way, An article in yesterday's Baltimore Sun pointed out that using WVO ( or any other non-approved fuel) runs afoul of FEDERAL law. Seems that ANYTHING you burn as a fuel is under their jurisdiction. This is in addition to the taxes that aren't paid. The article made some reference to getting a permit, filing monthly useage reports ( and paying the appropriate taxes), and getting a $1000 bond. What the bond was for, they did not say.

This sure is not the way to encourage citizens to seek alternatives to foreighn oil!

sassyrel

Reaction score
unless the laws just changed--it was not FEDERALLY illegal to run wmo, or wvo--you are able to run up to 400 gal of wvo per household member per qtr!!!!! tax free--tho the states see diff!!!!! and you can add your OWN wmo to your vehicles and be legal both state and fed--now about how much wmo you create--is another thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D i checked this out before i even went to the idi rally that the rest seen what i was doing!!!!!!!!! and mel thought it was funny i slept with my oil---now you may want to---for what it is worth!!!!!!!!!

sassyrel

Reaction score
My question is what are the relative merits of WVO and WMO and WATF.\Can anyone point to a brief list outlining pros and cons of each of these fuels?

By the way, An article in yesterday's Baltimore Sun pointed out that using WVO ( or any other non-approved fuel) runs afoul of FEDERAL law. Seems that ANYTHING you burn as a fuel is under their jurisdiction. This is in addition to the taxes that aren't paid. The article made some reference to getting a permit, filing monthly useage reports ( and paying the appropriate taxes), and getting a $1000 bond. What the bond was for, they did not say.

This sure is not the way to encourage citizens to seek alternatives to foreighn oil!
then again--i trust nearly NO media--at all!!! most of them are libs--and want your money--

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Michael,

Thank you for your solution. I was thinking of processing 55 gallon drums at a time, maybe even 420 gallon totes. So I was looking for something a bit more turn-key. The drums are free to me, my biggest cost will be the household whole house filter housing (about 30.00) and the 1 micron filter. They cost about the same as the goldenrod housing and filter. I may very well grab some of those socks as prefilters to save money on the other filters - dunno how I'd do it - will look into it. I just need something to get me off the ground. Suddenly the 900 mile drive to my country home looks like it's not that big a deal....

Thanks for all the ideas folks.

and the 30+6 makes is approximately a 85/15 blend...

Let me repeat my post from the other WMO thread. WVO and WMO should filter about the same.

Here is what I did:
From McMaster-Carr I ordered the following filterbags:
5162K37 Polyester Felt 50 micron Size1
5162K85 " " 10 micron Size 1
5162K76 " " 1 micron Size2.

The Size one bags are 7" diameter X 16 1/2 inches long.
The size 2 bag is 7 inches diameter X 32 inches long
I put the 50 micron bag inside the 10 micron bag, and then this inside the longer 1 micron bag.

I suspended the whole thing from a shopmate, but I have seen PVC pipe frames made for this. A 5 gallon bucket is placed under the bags.
I poured some WVO into the top of the filter and clean --filtered to 1 micron--oil came out the bottom, and into the bucket.
I was surprised at how quickly the oil came thru the filters.
Total cost for the three filters, including shipping was $21.18.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get old bed sheets for free from the local linen supply company from time to time. I also get plastic 5 gallon buckets with lids for free. What I did is I took a lid and cut a large hole in the top, basically leaving the ring. I then took a staple gun and tacked the sheet to the lid, ( so it hangs inside like a sock) and cut off extra sheet on the outside of the lid. I pour almost a half gallon worth of oil through that to strain the big crap. Now I'll get the other filter system set up soon.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ignore advice given by any "news" source. They make the stuff up to get people to watch (and sell advertising) not to inform.

WMO is an additive, which is exempt from taxes. You don't pay road taxes on your fuel injector cleaner do you? Now if you run 100% WMO then it isn't an "additive" anymore.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Why not take two buckets, one with a lid, and cut say " hole in the lid and slap it on. Then cut a similar hole in bottom of the second bucket. Rest the second one on the lid with the hole cut out of it. Put your bed sheet sievee in the top bucket and pout in 5 gallons and walk away....

I get old bed sheets for free from the local linen supply company from time to time. I also get plastic 5 gallon buckets with lids for free. What I did is I took a lid and cut a large hole in the top, basically leaving the ring. I then took a staple gun and tacked the sheet to the lid, ( so it hangs inside like a sock) and cut off extra sheet on the outside of the lid. I pour almost a half gallon worth of oil through that to strain the big crap. Now I'll get the other filter system set up soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online