My WMO Experience

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm figuring if you're letting your fuel tanks sit that full for that long you'd be using PRI-D or thier fungicides anyway.

From what I have read on the marine forums, none of that stuff works.

Never tried it myself, just repeating what I have read.

It is not so much the sitting full that creates the problem as simply an accumulation over years of warm/cold/warm cycles, high humidity, and darkness.

I would lay odds that probably 75% of the more-than-8-year-old trucks, that have never had the fuel tanks off, have an infestation to some degree.

I am also installing four of these (not all on one truck) :

https://www.simpsonsupplies.co.uk/D...ARATORS/FUEL_SEPERATOR_1_2___20_UNF_1721.html

It is a sediment/water seperator that has an easily removable CLEAR glass bowl, thus one can see what is going on with their fuel.

We Americans have gotten used to the disposable hands-off attitude about handling our fuel; whereas, the Britishers, Aussies, and New Zealanders have been perfecting means of super-cleaning their fuel, prior to it's entering the filter element.

As expensive as fuel has become, I think we should follow suit.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that looks like a combo of the 7.3 filter and my tractor fuel bowl. does it have a filter built in? i didnt see any so i assume it uses the weight of the debree and water itself to seperate out..

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks like a combo of the 7.3 filter and my tractor fuel bowl. does it have a filter built in? i didnt see any so i assume it uses the weight of the debree and water itself to seperate out..

Made by LUCAS, that particular one has no filter-element.

You can't see in the picture, but it has a fluted plastic "umbrella" that the incoming fuel spreads over on it's way downward into the glass bowl.

The bowl itself creates a false-bottom with a nickel-sized hole in it's center.

The bottom of the glass bowl is about a half-inch above the bottom aluminum cover, thus creating a reservoir of sorts for seperated water to collect.

In the bottom aluminum cover, there is an orientable/aimable drain for bleeding off the water.

LUCAS does offer units that are similar glass-bottomed, except with the replaceable LUCAS/CAV filter-cartridge; several can be seen here :

https://www.simpsonsupplies.co.uk/DIESEL_FUEL_PARTS/COMPLETE_FILTER_ASSEMBLIES/

I prefer the non-filter unit, as it keeps the debris and water-seperation operation away from the filter-cartridge.

Once installed, I can see inside the bowl and determine when it needs draining, or removed and cleaned.

The earlier vehicles, especially tractors, had tool-less removable glass sediment-bowls with screened outlets; these worked wonderfully in pre-filtering out any big trash ahead of the filter.

A sediment-bowl can be inspected, removed, dumped, rinsed, and re-installed, without any cash-cost whatsoever, other than the trifling amount of fuel in the bowl.

Our consumer/house-wife oriented enclosed disposable canister-type filters can't be seen inside and are next to impossible to cut apart in a manner allowing element inspection without the act of canister-cutting disturbing the evidence.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice i like the first one, i am all about re-usibility and against propiatary parts that you have to go somewhere specail for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online