My old truck is coming back home

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in '19 or '20, I can't remember, I sold my '91 F350 7.3 2wd Dually because I picked up the '87 6.9. I sold it to my son's friend, and now he's looking to get a Cummins or something 4x4. He hardly drove it, but did some upgrades. Here's a pic before I sold it. He's telling me the TC is locking/unlocking on the E4OD when he gets off the throttle at 45-50. I need a little refresher as my brain is now in C-6 mode. TPS voltage,... I'm just forgetting what I learned over the years. The truck should be here tomorrow so I'll post an after pic.
You must be registered for see images attach

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned a lot on this one. One thing that I didn't care about up north but I do here is AC. I think there is a leak somewhere in the system I had it charged at a garage about 5 years ago, but it was gone in a week. So I'll definitely be asking some questions about that.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a nice blue bricknose :)

When it comes to a/c leaks, soapy water is your friend for finding leaks.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome, congratulations! I use the classic 2/55 AC system in my truck down in north west Florida, I replaced the manual regulators with elec to make it more efficient.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the voltage at idle with idle rpm set correctly should be .92-.98. As for the AC it's not super expensive to just replace every component especially since it's a R12 truck. My 84 blows 30-34 degree ac on a hot day it gets too cold in the cab. I bought every single component off rock auto (all 4 seasons parts) except the condenser as it was out of stock I went to Orilly for the condenser and the condenser makes all the difference the new ones you buy for your truck have more fins and cores which are needed to condense r134 back to liquid the original R12 condenser isn't efficient enough. Also get a red orifice tube for a post 94 ford just say a 1995 F series truck and ask for the red one its the r134 orifice. I always give the screw in the pressure switch half turn counter clockwise too.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in '19 or '20, I can't remember, I sold my '91 F350 7.3 2wd Dually because I picked up the '87 6.9. I sold it to my son's friend, and now he's looking to get a Cummins or something 4x4. He hardly drove it, but did some upgrades. Here's a pic before I sold it. He's telling me the TC is locking/unlocking on the E4OD when he gets off the throttle at 45-50. I need a little refresher as my brain is now in C-6 mode. TPS voltage,... I'm just forgetting what I learned over the years. The truck should be here tomorrow so I'll post an after pic.

That dually is clean.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the 91 finally got here Sat morning. Going over it I remembered a few things that I wanted to do but I had enough. Speedo cable , which I changed out this morning. I patched uo the top tank of the radiator, but it needs to be done professionally now. So as soon as I find someone that still repairs them I can get it on the road. AC needs to be checked for leaks. The guy put 265's up front, now it is like steering a tank. It still has the 215's that I put on in the back. I think I need a PS pump cause it buzzes real loud. Then there is the 4" straight pipe exhaust. It sounds cool, but lets see how long that lasts. The 7.3 in this truck is the best one I've ever seen. If it was anything else, I wouldn't have bought it back. If the air gets up and running I think I'll drive it for the summer . Maybe a hitch and brake controller. I think they look pretty good together.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did. Should be here Monday. But I have to hold off cause I need to replace a few other things first. Emptied the radiator today, and low and behold, oil in the coolant. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Ordered oil cooler seal kit today. Plus a 3G alt with plugs. All the little things I let go before I sold this I'm going to do now. It's a strong runner and I'm going to make it close to new. And the front tank sending unit I said I was going to replace for 12 yrs is finally getting done too.