My friend's 1974 1310 Turbo IDI build!

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mmmm...

You must be registered for see images

High density polyethylene for the tops of the rails. Should outlast a wood strip by 100 years.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. Shouldn't squeak either I wouldn't think. I would think that HDPE should probably have about the same "squish factor" (to use a technical material science term) as most woods.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plan is to put the flat bed on. Load some weight in it. Then bolt it down. I don't think it will squeak. It has a funny surface. Its not hard as glass its actually soft to the touch.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that has to do with the hardness of the material. I have used HDPE for several things over the years. It's a good material for a variety of things. The compression force should be pretty good. I don't believe it will cold flow like teflon does. May have to re-torque the bolts over time but you would have to do that with wood too.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the clutch master mounted today.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U will notice that's a metal master cylinder. My slave its also metal. After much searching i found advance auto parts sells metal ones. I have had the plastic ones give out. So i will only go metal.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, aluminum beats plastic any day when it comes to that application. What hydraulic line do you plan on using? IIRC some OBS F-series w/ ZF5 got a stainless steel jacketed line from the factory, can you maybe get your hands on one of those?

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, aluminum beats plastic any day when it comes to that application. What hydraulic line do you plan on using? IIRC some OBS F-series w/ ZF5 got a stainless steel jacketed line from the factory, can you maybe get your hands on one of those?

Great minds think alike. I ordered a new Stroker style steel line, the last foot is braided. Ide rather that over the nylon hose. I want to say that the master cyl and slave cyl are steel. Not aluminum. I'll stick a Magnet to it later

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now if only you could just glass the wrap, you'd never have to worry about it holding moisture in and rusting out the pipeworks. Actually don't they make some sort of resin or whatever for just that purpose?

And the clutch hydro components are likely aluminum, at least the master definitely looks like it - I've never seen such a smooth casting w/ steel or iron, whereas aluminum castings come out quite smooth, just like what you got there. Compare a steel/iron/whatever brakes master cylinder to an aluminum one, you'll see what I mean.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stainless downpipe and cross over. And yeah u were right on the parts being aluminum. I stuck a magnet to them. Still better than plastic i guess

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'll take an alu master & slave over steel ones any day - alu don't rust, and the hard-anodized stuff is pretty corrosion resistant as well. In comparison steel masters need good wiping off and painting before you even bench bleed them, else they'll develop surface rust in a matter of days in high humidity conditions. So IMHO you did good w/ those parts you got there, proceed to rewarding yourself w/ a cold one (or two, or more).