My friend's 1974 1310 Turbo IDI build!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I really Appreciate all the feedback. The trucks been running awesome. Mel and I were shooting emails almost daily. I wish I could shrink to the size of an atom and go in his head just to learn more. He has probably forgotten more than I'll know. The egts still climb but I'm not intercooled. I can control them at this point BC I drive it everyday I really don't even look at the pyro. I was chugging up some nasty hills last night and I was scared at first but in third hear maybe half throttle I was able to keep it at or under 1000. This is a che by 1 ton ext. Cab 4wd. And the trailer weighs about 3500. Good load Ide say. My biggest problem was a bit of the tail wagging the dog as they say.
You must be registered for see images

This is what I tell people, and what I mean when I say that you do have to re-learn how to drive your truck a bit with a performance pump. A few customers have bad reactions to getting one of these. There is a bit of panic sometimes and a lot of phone calls. After a while, what I've been telling them starts to sink in, and they become quite happy with it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know its a little taboo around here but I have been thinking about electric fans. I have a hard time believing there is not an acceptable alternative electric fan. I have seen very few folks try them though.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jon jacukovicz has them on his 6.9 powered scout. Two giant spall fans. Keep it cool wheeling all day. I prefer the factory fan. One less think to worry about.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
f250xlt uses windstar fans and he swears by them. I too think electric fans are a must-especially if your crossing water!
I have electric fans on my 93 mustang-twin contour fans and they are amazing. They pull almost 35 amps at startup though, but at full song both are pulling about 12 total.
Key thing is to oversize all components by at least 1.5 times. Peace of mind. Im running 12 awg power wire, 50 amp breaker, 60 amp relays, and double grounds.
I was running "recommended" size before, i think the relay pigtail wires were 18 or something...that didnt last long..

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
f250xlt uses windstar fans and he swears by them. I too think electric fans are a must-especially if your crossing water!
This post reminded me to update his thread with some of my findings regarding Windstar fans...

Brandon, my clutch fan was causing my truck to overheat even while idling. Locking it to the water pump solved that problem, but then I started worrying about the pump shaft shearing LOL There's always something to be paranoid about, but dual e-fans at least give me better MPG, while their individual power supplies and manual controls provide some sort of "plan B" option as well.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhat lacking in power? That clutch fan will make a noticeable difference in that when it locks up, if old one was loose and freewheeled more than it should have the new one will make the engine appear a bit doggier. Tho I'm thinking the problem is more related to what you're burning in that thing LOL

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got some options. All include losing the idi.
Sell truck to fund next truck which will be Cummins powered
Repower this truck with a Cummins
Sell everything. Have it made into $1 bills and fill a kiddy pool with the money.

Any opinions?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Option #3 sounds best indeed LOL Really tho, doing all the work to stuff an IDI in there just to pull it out for a Fummins, seems quite counter-productive to me. I'd say sell truck as is, apply funds to next project.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got some options. All include losing the idi.
Sell truck to fund next truck which will be Cummins powered
Repower this truck with a Cummins
Sell everything. Have it made into $1 bills and fill a kiddy pool with the money.

Any opinions?
If you're certain you want to lose the IDI, I'd vote for repowering this truck. You've done so much work to the truck in addition to the drivetrain, it's for all intents and purposes new...IMHO you're better off sticking with what you've got and what you've put so much blood, sweat, and money into, unless you're in the mood to do another frame-up rebuild. Either way, post pics ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin