My friend's 1974 1310 Turbo IDI build!

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. I love the build. I live for the build. Once its done I'm bored. I'm not overly impressed with the idi. All the work I've done and it still gets schooled by a Cummins. I'm not here to start fights about idi vs. Cummins. Its just believe its a better design that I'll be happier with.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are happy with the rest of the truck I would say repower. I don't think it would be that difficult with the right donor vehicle. When I set out to do mine I've always kept in my back pocket that if I'm not happy with the power, I would find an alternative power plant... possibly of the inline 6 variety. The good news is that it's been so long since I really had a truck with balls my frame of reference is pretty skewed. It won't take much to outpace my grocery getter.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. I love the build. I live for the build. Once its done I'm bored. I'm not overly impressed with the idi. All the work I've done and it still gets schooled by a Cummins. I'm not here to start fights about idi vs. Cummins. Its just believe its a better design that I'll be happier with.
In that case, you may do better to sell the truck as is and start fresh. Personally, I think the IDI is a good engine, and so is the 6BT, and I'm not going to argue with someone who wants one over the other...they both have their places, and I've always been in awe over the 6BT's longevity. So, no negative judgment from me ;Sweet (honestly, I grew up ******* over a Dodge 12 valve; family events got me into Fords and the IDI world)

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good to see the finished product. A lot of people say the idi is doggy and they switch to the cummins. My next truck will be a cummins :D. But as always, I say run more fuel and install a whipple 2.3 supercharger on there. That is my answer to everything. Or else sell the project and start another one. Why not another project? Sounds like a good idea to me.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went back and checked your thread from the start... Did you rebuild this engine or just open her up and put new head gaskets and studs in?.... I didn't see anything about a cam or other power adders other than a performance IP and a stock ATS turbo. Did I miss something...I might not have checked far enough but seems like its running pretty good to me for what you built it from. Its a dam nice looking Truck.... I'm sorry you seem disappointed with the power the IDI is making. Good Job on this build. I will look forward to your next project...

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moose pump has been removed and is for sale. Theres a little more than 2k on it. The warranty is transferrable. I paid $720.+tax Ide like to recoop $550. My email is [email protected]. the engine, turbo and injectors are already sold.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
For me, I like the IDI for a few reasons.
1) Its cheap. I am broke like you read about and can get injectors and all the parts I could need on the cheap. Very few people think these things are gold and have a huge price on the parts.

2) They do make power, but not like the new stuff. I can tow anything, it just takes a while to get there.

3) I can run it on anything that burns. Since I am cheap, I can run for a while on oil...for free. And that is a good price to pay.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Cummins, but I picked up my engine for $400 bux and a set of used SBF headers. Try and do that with a running 4/6bt.

SWS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online