My 85 Chevy K20 7.3l IDI project (bowtie bound)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he could get away with it if he does a full front clip swap? It didn't sound like he was doing just the hood... :dunno
the rest of the front clip is not a big challenge. how the hood meets up with the cab is going to be the challenge. but then again, there's many things I have yet to learn.;Sweet

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is probably the only chevy I've ever wanted lol. Those crew cabs look great lifted on 40s.

Tex_50613

Reaction score
welcome to the site;Sweet
i don't mean to ruin your day, but you will have your work cut out for you on swapping over the hoods. 81-87(C&K)/91(R&V) have majorly different hood & cowl compared to 73-80. the early truck has the hood that goes all the way to the windshield whereas the 81 and up uses a removable cowl piece. where it gets really interesting to fab up is the hood hinges. I've seen it done but not without a ton of fab work. nice pics tho;Sweet

well I'm swapping the entire font clip which is a bolt and go operation which I have done atleast 9 times so far, take everything from the firewall out on the 85 off which includes un-plugging wiring harness for the headlights and front markers from the firewall side of the fuse panel and taking off the windshield cowl and firewall hinges since the 73-80's hood hinges are entirely mounted to the front fenders, the fenders bolt on without any modification and the harness from the 73-80 will plug directly in and work (past a 87 I'm un sure about but before 87 it does)

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front clip os bolt on, as stated. No real tricks to chevys. Only fiference it 2 or 4 headlights. I have doen swaps on countless chevys to go from early.mid 70s to 80s ear front clips. My favorite is the 89 1 ton clip that was also used on later burbs.

Tex_50613

Reaction score
here's the back side of the tailgate since I hadn't had any pics to post up for ya
You must be registered for see images attach

the back don't look as good as the outside cause I plan on hurculinering it then getting a aluminum tread plate tailgate protector

Last edited:

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love these old square body chevys. it will be my next build from the frame up...

Probally be a 12 valve cummins powerplant with a 5 speed tho. Plan on keeping my 7.3 as the work truck till its built.

Last edited:

Tex_50613

Reaction score
finally got the box in paint tonight

Tex_50613

Reaction score
got the cab gutted and started in on sheet metal

also scrapped out a 74 C-65 today and kept a couple goodies for my truck :)

and a set of Senior West Coast Mirrors, which the option sheet say it's sposto have

here's the option sheet in my glovebox

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
very nice work. ! ditto the 73-87 chev trucks are my faves trucks and you can pick up a fuel pump at 711 LOL

and the gauge cluster is kick ass did not know they had one with a diesel tac on air pressure

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Hey thats pretty interesting. A factory cluster with a tachometer was somewhat rare during those years, but I've never seen one with the fuel gauge and the tack together like that--pretty cool ;Sweet

Tex_50613

Reaction score
Hey thats pretty interesting. A factory cluster with a tachometer was somewhat rare during those years, but I've never seen one with the fuel gauge and the tack together like that--pretty cool ;Sweet

I think that's cause it's for a medium duty truck (c-60/c-65) and a air pressure gauge is where the fuel gauge would be in a normal tack cluster, here's a couple shots of the cluster after I got it all dis-assembled, cleaned up, and re-assembled earlier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online