Motorcraft/Beru Glow Plugs-YOU HAVE TO ASK !!!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I replaced autolites with MCs about a year ago. Half were dead, but none were swollen thankfully and none broke. Somewhere on the board here is a picture of the autolites. I have changed phones since then so I can't easily post it in this message.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
A lot of these parts guys don't tell you that there is other/ better parts available, YOU HAVE TO ASK !!!

There's a reason: Most people want the cheapest parts.

The clerks are probably trained not to try to push the better quality stuff since it underminds selling the junk. Also, they probably want to avoid angering certain customers who might feel pressured to buy the better product if told it's better.

Some clerks just list off every option though. It just depends who you get.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The counter clown is trained to move what's in the store. There is a huge chance that the clown has no idea what an idi even is.

One at an oreillys told me metric thread nut steel brake lines don't exist because they didn't have any. Napa had them.

Napa is generally superior but O'Reilly can get a lot of Motorcraft parts overnight or in a few days.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cannot buy metric brake lines in napa ca.
Napa auto said "?what?" We do not have a listing. The others same story

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The one in Arkansas I went to had a rotating rack of short brake lines with attached nuts right in the store, SAE and Metric. What I got worked like a charm for replacing a proportioning valve on an old Dodge. I had to make custom adapter lines to match up with the different thread sizes on the new valve.

BrassBandit

Reaction score
I just recently went to Orielys auto parts for glow plugs for my 1989 f350 idi. The guy behind the counter said he had 8 in stock and that they were AUTOLITE's. I took them home and installed them. The truck started once. Then the whole GP relay clicking thing started and NO start. Started reading online about AUTOLITE GP's. Proceeded to Remove the autolites and ordered MOTORCRAFT at Oriely's. A lot of these parts guys don't tell you that there is other/ better parts available, YOU HAVE TO ASK !!! This has become regular practice for me (Although I didn't with the glow plugs), because I initially though Autolite was connected to FORD , which I found out recently, They are not-Autolite is owned by FRAM. The autolite/ford connection ended years ago, from what I've read. Never knew that.

Anyways, I got my Motorcraft GP's @ $3 more each, installed them and now she fires right up, every time. I also installed a new voltage regulator and once again, asked if they offered a better one. The first one was Chinese made for $19, he went in back and brought out a motorcraft for $23, 3 times as heavy as the Chinese one. You have to ask !!!-inferior parts suck.

All I got out of this is you didn't do your due diligence before handing over you're money. Expecting a parts person to know which part is best in every application is ridiculous. It's called personal accountability, do your research before parting with your money or the only one you can blame when you get screwed is yourself.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cnc honestly say working in any retail field auto parts store etc a person can not know everything I've been to places that people have owned a idi or diesel n still forget certain things, even on gassers both domestic n across the pond.

Research helps but alot of times you have old timers mixed with young learner's/people refreshing there skills if u don't use something all the time it tends to be lost in the mix

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Napa, Autozone, O' Reillies and CarQuest(that seems to be semi-independent) within 2 miles of my work.

O' Reillies has the Motorcraft ZD-9A glow plugs in stock. Nobody else does - Napa and CarQuest can get them(for higher prices), and Autozone doesn't even have them available.
Also, Autozone doesn't have the 331 U-joint that seems to fit multiple locations on all my IDI rigs. Everyone else tends to keep them in stock.

At this point I'm almost thinking about making up a cheat sheet to keep in the truck(and post) - with oil/air/fuel filter P/Ns(including various turbo air boxes), glow plugs, U-joints, etc etc. Tons of common replacement parts that are hard to find sometimes.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
At this point I'm almost thinking about making up a cheat sheet to keep in the truck(and post) - with oil/air/fuel filter P/Ns(including various turbo air boxes), glow plugs, U-joints, etc etc. Tons of common replacement parts that are hard to find sometimes.

I’ve done exactly that. I have a document that I have access to from my phone/tablet, since they are synced, that has oil weight and capacity, air, oil, and fuel filter part numbers, wiper size and tire size. Doesn’t matter where I am or which vehicle I am driving, I have the information at my fingertips. It comes in really handy on the older vehicles, since the books and some computer look up (like the filter and wiper computers at Walmart) only go back so far.....

Black dawg

Reaction score
I've got a Napa, Autozone, O' Reillies and CarQuest(that seems to be semi-independent) within 2 miles of my work.

O' Reillies has the Motorcraft ZD-9A glow plugs in stock. Nobody else does - Napa and CarQuest can get them(for higher prices), and Autozone doesn't even have them available.
Also, Autozone doesn't have the 331 U-joint that seems to fit multiple locations on all my IDI rigs. Everyone else tends to keep them in stock.

Instead of using that 331 joint (junk,) try 5-178x (greasable) or 5-1350 (non grease) spicer joints. Your napa should stock them.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve done exactly that. I have a document that I have access to from my phone/tablet, since they are synced, that has oil weight and capacity, air, oil, and fuel filter part numbers, wiper size and tire size. Doesn’t matter where I am or which vehicle I am driving, I have the information at my fingertips. It comes in really handy on the older vehicles, since the books and some computer look up (like the filter and wiper computers at Walmart) only go back so far.....

On the oil.weight n speaking of walmart.check this picture out they have 10w30 diesel oil n then the 15w40 didnt think you could use 10w30 in a diesel. Also i used this delvac 1300 figured I try it out since i seen a post here.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
10w30 is used in some of the newer PSD’s. I actually use 5w40 full synthetic Delo in my 6.0. That the silver jug Chevron Delo

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I mean, motorcraft ain't gonna put something out there if they don't recommend it. Lol
10w30 is used in some of the newer PSD’s. I actually use 5w40 full synthetic Delo in my 6.0. That the silver jug Chevron Delo
The xsp? That's what I just got. Oreilly has a sale. And Chevron has a rebate online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online