motor hum

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess anything is possible at this point however it will have to wait for tommorows daylight. Noises can be such a pain to locate. I do appreciate all the responses and hope I find something soon......

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I give, after several hours today looking I still end up at the same spot. The noise is the loudest at the oil cooler. Particularly at the front of the cooler. Maybe its time to take it to an experienced deisel mechanic or someone with deisel knowledge for a listen. Which leads me to another Question. I am from South Jersey next to Atco Raceway. Anyone know of a good location to take this thing?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
could it be your fuel pump and the sound is traveling through the frame to that area where you hear it the most?

The new fuel pump I just put on is extremely noisy..... but then again you said it changes pitch with RPM's...

I would put money on the power steering pump. Does it make almost a whine sound... and sometimes more pronounced when turning or braking???

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that as well but after an earlier suggestion I removed the surp belt and ran motor. Sound is still just as loud.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You have a noisey pump. Some are whiners some don't whine at all.:dunno
Some will whine when cold or the oil is nasty. Nature of the beast.:D

My 01 would whine when it was cold.Synthetic oil fixed it.;Sweet
The 97 I used at work whined consantly since new. That thing still whines with 197k miles on it.:D

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I hope you are right. I can live with a noise that may not result in further damage. This is my first deisel truck and with all the new sounds they make Ill just add this one to the list.

Thanks for everyone input. Look forward to future post.