Moose Pump Review

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I tried getting my truck on a dyno last spring, had a date scheduled and everything. Week before the run I blow the motor when some retard kid pulles out in front of me.
I'm curious as to what my motor puts out though so I'm gonna try again this spring.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... how are your rebuilds better than one of the economy builds? I believe you when you say they are, but certainly there are corners that are cut to get the cost down to the el cheapo prices, corners your guy doesn't cut or extra steps he takes that make it more worthwhile.

You are correct, and there are corners that can, and are, cut by some others who do pump rebuilds. I would not have as much knowledge of this had it not been for one particular client who purchased a well known internet vendor's rebuild and then forwarded it to me directly for conversion into a Moose Pump. My builder commented to me that the pump was in excellent condition with the exception of what he considered the expected life to be. For example, advance piston wear is extremely common. During a rebuild, part of the proceedure is to insert the advance piston into the bore, and use a light to look for "leakage" around the piston. If any is found, then the bore has to be enlarged and a larger size piston installed. The process of checking for light leakage can vary from builder to builder. My guy likes to spend at least 10 minutes, studying this relationship of parts to ensure the highest precision fit. He has found through experience that if you just stick the piston in, shine the light down there, and look at it, that you will not see any leaks immediately. You have to go into it with the idea that it IS leaking, and then prove through exhaustive searching that it is not. He has spent 7 or 8 minutes looking before seeing the slightest trace of light that confirms that their is in fact a problem. Now, how bad a problem is this? Perhaps not enough for the advance piston to act up now, or this year, but 3 months from now, or 3 years from now, or 30,000 miles from now, that tiny leak may turn into something that starts to effect your fuel economy, power, and performance. So my builder will ensure that the advance piston to bore fit and finish will be good enough to last the full measure of what Stanadyne expected that pump to last when it was designed. This is just one example of one area where taking your time, and trying REALLY HARD to do the absolute best you can is what seperates a Moose product from the others. That's not to say that other builders are not just as good and just as carefull. But what it does say, is that there are some builders out there who are only interested in making sure the pump doesn't come back under warranty. They are not conscerned that 2 years from now you will be coming back to them for another pump. Of course fuel quality has a lot to do with how long your pump will last, regardless of who it is from, and certainly the fuels offered today are not as good as what we started out with, but with proper additives you can certainly get the full measure of service out of any pump. What that measure will be, is determined by who rebuilt it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOoooooooooooo so close!

Made a trip today without the trailer and got 19.5 MPG (averaging both directions on the identical route) with the cruise pretty much locked at 70 MPH the whole way.

Not any wind that I can tell, but there was light rain for most of the drive. Darn, maybe 20 next time. Although by then its likely going to involve a trailer haul because of the size of parts I need to move.

I also retarded the timing twice so far because it was too advanced. I lost a set of glow plugs because of it. Cold starts were done the last few times with the block heater instead of glow plugs. No ether!!!:backoff

Oh well, new set should be in the mail and a couple were weak before the pump went in.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16.8 MPG with a real mixed bag this time. There was some stop and go city driving, a 30 mile sprint at 85 MPH (same distance return at 55 MPH on a parallel route), and another 200 miles towing in overdrive at 60 MPH. This is the first time I reached 300 miles on the front tank when this kind of towing was involved. Very boring towing at 60 MPH but it does pay off. Was interesting to see the tach tracking below the 1500 mark for those conditions. On shorter hills I very gingerly feathered the throttle and allowed speed to bleed off and RPM to drop as low as 1250 (roughly). Longer hills I simply geared down and let the turbo do its thing.

For fun, I just ran the numbers on my mom's 4cyl rav4 based on the last fillup and came up with 18.6 MPG for mostly city driving.LOL

Never did run the numbers for highway on that car but I think its in the low 20s but it does poorly for power above 70 MPH.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, they can have the keys to my truck when they pry them from my cold, dead hands:hail (but they have to catch me first)
Doesn't look like there will be many empty trips coming up in the near future though so that elusive 20 mark will have to wait.

Still liking the moose!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying me baby moose.

I still need to get the truck properly timed but for now, I think I've got it dialed in pretty close.

For the reasonable price Mel charges and for the quality of workmanship that goes along with it, I will always go through him from now on.

I just bought a jug of Stanadyne fuel additive to use in it, $27.00:eek:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying me baby moose.

I still need to get the truck properly timed but for now, I think I've got it dialed in pretty close.

For the reasonable price Mel charges and for the quality of workmanship that goes along with it, I will always go through him from now on.

I just bought a jug of Stanadyne fuel additive to use in it, $27.00:eek:

Thats less than what I paid, but it treats a large volume of fuel so the cost is easily absorbed. I bought three 1L bottles for $25, and each bottle lasts over a month at the rate I am burning the stuff. Seems like a fair price to me.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I still couldn't be happier with the truck running on moose power.

The weather is warming up and I had severall fillups over the last 3 weeks delivering 16, 17 and 18 MPG while towing between 60-65 MPH.

I've NEVER reached 18 MPG under these conditions before.

You must be registered for see images

Trailer is 20' long + the hitch boom and about 1500lbs empty so its not too big a deal to some of the things that oilburners are dragging around. However 18 MPG never happened with this thing attached before - EVER.

Today was also warmer outside and I figure its time to put the cooling fan back in the truck this weekend. Never a hint of overheating all day but when manouvering in the yard it started to climb a little. Would have been nice to be able to use the AC today too.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im still waiting for that 1 tank at 55 MPH David.
i know it's hard to slow down uh? lol.
man........just 1 tank.:D
you'll thank me latter.;)
good results out of the moose.thanks for the info.good stuff!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im still waiting for that 1 tank at 55 MPH David.
i know it's hard to slow down uh? lol.
man........just 1 tank.:D
you'll thank me latter.;)
good results out of the moose.thanks for the info.good stuff!

Well I am working on that and managed to get down to ~65 MPH from 70. At this rate I might have a 55 MPH test by the end of summer......4 years from now:rotflmao

Great numbers for a working truck. Looks good without the cap too.

I am half tempted to get (or make?) a bed cover after all this. Rain in the winter tends to rust out beds so this isn't a long term solution. However I am now getting beter MPGs towing this trailer than I used to get with that canopy and a load on top. A bet cover might get me even more.

I must say its much more fun to drive like this though. Better visibility and I'm getting better fuel economy. And it looks nice too..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point you really have me wondering if a set of Moose Misters could get you to 19MPG.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think he's already capable of hitting 20+.just fighting extra wind by driving over 55.
1 full tank test.......just 1 tank test.:D

im averaging 16 with my wind catching/heavy stake body and 3.84:1 actual gearing with avg speeds of 45-55.
all ya got to do is slow down just for one tank David to be able to say you've hit 20 mpg.;)

just think of it:
"iv hit 20 mpg while towing a trailer after installing 'the moose pump' " ;)

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point you really have me wondering if a set of Moose Misters could get you to 19MPG.

Believe me I would love to find out but I don't think I could justify the expense right now.

Typically I take an average of 25% fuel economy hit for dragging this trailer around. 19 MPG towing could put me very close to 25 MPG empty at 60-65 MPH. I don't care how much cummins flag waving there is out there, thats damn good MPGs no matter what diesel you are running.

At least my upgrades are paying off so far. This truck got 9 MPG empty at the same speed when I first bought itLOL

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think he's already capable of hitting 20+.just fighting extra wind by driving over 55.
1 full tank test.......just 1 tank test.:D

im averaging 16 with my wind catching/heavy stake body and 3.84:1 actual gearing with avg speeds of 45-55.
all ya got to do is slow down just for one tank David to be able to say you've hit 20 mpg.;)

just think of it:
"iv hit 20 mpg while towing a trailer after installing 'the moose pump' " ;)

May I have the strength to control myself.........:rotflmao

I'll be making the same trip in the middle of next week (identical load too).

Crud, I just realized thats below overdrive speed. RPMs would be in the 1500-1600 range in 3rd gear for that. I can't reprogram my transmission computer at the moment either. Thats gonna skew things a bit but I might still give it a try.