Moose Pump Review

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moose Pump Review / MPGs

This is going to be a long thread because I want to upload updates and MPG figures as they come in.

The first trip I took with the pump gave me 12 MPG.
This was in moderate to heavy rain, and I was hauling a$$ pretty much the whole way with the trailer behind me. Average speed was between 80 and 85, uh yeah not a good idea but the tuck performed. I think 12 was actually pretty decent considering....

Second trip returned 15.08 MPG with average speed held at 70 and still had the trailer behind me. This is my benchmark for what I expect my truck to return on this particular route at that speed. Generally, it will get 15-16 MPG towing on a good day and today was decent. Sunny, dry, and no wind at all. Traffic was not perfect, but not too bad either. Keep in mind, the 15-16 benchmark is what I would get on summer fuel.

My truck did smell blood with an older GMC on a few consecutive hills, so that likely did something to my MPGs. Caught him on a 6~7% hill. He was doing 70 and slowing down, I was holding 80 in 3rd with the TC locked. I need to train my truck some more not to do that.:rolleyes::rotflmao

Power is hard to say at this point because the transmission desperately needs to be reprogrammed for the larger fuel flow. Upshifting is too early and kickdown too late. However most of my cruising is done in overdrive now even with the trailer attached. 3% hills or less and no downshifting is needed. EGTs ran between 600 and 700 unless being aggressive on a hill. Climbing a 5% grade in 3rd resulted in about 650 EGT and completely smoke free operation (4 PSI boost). Smooth and steady all the way up.

Peak turbo boost is unchanged but that is no fault of the new pump. Either my turbo has a problem, or the gauge isn't reading properly. Given the added smoke at WOT, I'm leaning toward a defect in the turbo itself keeping me at the 12 PSI range. I can't think of anything that I can do about it right now so I will run it as is.

Next week will be another identical trip and another MPG update. If I can average 3 consecutive tanks in the ~15 MPG range we can call it confirmed that the moose delivers in terms of fuel economy at light throttle. I remember reading similar MPG claims posted here before and it would be nice if I can add my data to agree with the rest.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
what was your max egt, and what is it now?
what rpm do you see 12 psi?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EGTs seem to peak at 900. I drove up to the ski slopes last night and that seemed to be the general rule. However again, I didn't allow an overfueling event to happen. I only gave as much fuel as I thought was safe.

the 12 PSI is probably at 2800~3000. My tach won't read above 2500 for some reason so I can't say for sure other than to guess based on engine speed and torque converter slip.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Wow and you're not even running an intercooler are you? 900* is impressive without a cooler. I've put mine over 1000* with my intercooler hauling a 28ft enclosed trailer. My 088 will only push 12-13psi as well. I was really hoping to get it over 15psi being I could do that easy enough with stock internals. I'm not really sure why I cant get anything other than that out of it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have the 088 kit also and before the intercooler I could max my 15 psi gauge pretty easily. now I get 11ish max by 2200 and no smoke

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't have a heavy trailer like that to hook mine up to for a real test.

The best I can do to load it right now is one hill that is about 1 kilometer long (0.611 mile) that starts out at 5% and then ramps up to 10% at the top. On that hill I can probably hold about 75 at the top and thats where my EGTs hit 900. But the hill isn't really long enough to see how high it would go if the load were for longer.

The mountain climb was mostly between 800 and 900 but I was not flooring it, so it might be possible to get higher.

I do have a ram intake on the side of the rad if that makes much difference:dunno

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea I'm sure my intake system pulls in plenty of hot air from both the IC and the rad. Oh well, maybe I'll figure out something better in the future. I'm trying to figure out a different hood option anyway. Maybe I'll make a ram air box sealed to the hood or something.

With my truck it pushes the 13psi line with very little smoke by that point, but it only does that much boost in 5th so I'm going about 85mph by that time.
Also when I was hooked up to that 28ft race car trailer I floored it going up a pretty good hill, easy 10-13% grade about a mile long. I couldn't get it over 1050* iirc, and it was accelerating past 70mph in a 60 zone.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy crap, what does the trailer weigh?

Last I hit 12 PSI was around 80 up a 6% hill. I'm still fiddling with the timing as well so that will take some time to get it where I am happy with it.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
My tach won't read above 2500 for some reason so I can't say for sure other than to guess based on engine speed and torque converter slip.

Don't you love that even with the tach not working, your trans keeps going? ;Sweet

The Baumann to me is worth it just for that!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you can't get any more boost, is your exhaust restricted possibly? A stock type muffler is like putting a cork in the pipe.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I know for a fact I'm getting some sort of a leak out of the crossover pipe where it bolts to the drivers side manifold, and I cant figure out why. So I'm loosing some exhaust flow from that. Other than that though, I am currently running just the 3" down pipe so there's no restriction to that sucker. lol

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No plans for a dyno run and I have no numbers from before the pump rebuild so anything now would be meaningless.

My exhaust is 3" from turbo to tailpipe with a 4" flow through muffler. I don't think there are any leaks, but I haven't checked in a while.

And yes, the Baumann is an awesome setup. NO LIMP MODE - EVER!!;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More MPG results:

Front tank towing @ 70 average in light rain: 15.4 MPG
Rear tank empty @ Average 75: 17 MPG

Oh, and I think my pyro might be shot, the needle seems to be stiff for some reason. Will have to look into that this weekend.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
Great results David. With the modified timing in the pump, does it seem peppier? Do you seem to use less throttle to go the same speeds/or accel.? Just asking 'cause you have had similar exp. and numbers in the past as I have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online