Moose Pump Review

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is true,so very little can be seen in just one tank.too many variables.i have a good feeling about your next 10 consecutive fill ups though.;)

next up....Electric cooling fans David? :D
that 25 MPG mark when empty,could just be an e-fan or two away lol.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is true,so very little can be seen in just one tank.too many variables.i have a good feeling about your next 10 consecutive fill ups though.;)

next up....Electric cooling fans David? :D
that 25 MPG mark when empty,could just be an e-fan or two away lol.

*Sigh* Not sure if I'll have the time for that. As it is, I've started the search for some doors, fenders, box (or new box sides) to try and make the truck look a bit more presentable. Its been so good to me and our business over the last few years that it would be a shame to let it deteriorate any further. My Dad's GMC 3500 hardly even leaves town anymore with my truck doing all the towing. Most of our customers know us very well, but deep down I know this isn't the sort of vehicle you want to put a company name on. I might be starting college in the fall too, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have at that point.

dont experiment with alternative fuels do you?

I did add a mix of used ATF and WMO before I had the pump rebuilt. The thickest mix I ran was roughly 50% diesel, and the other half was a blend of those two oils. I had to be careful to start up and shut down on the straight diesel tank, otherwise it would sputter and complain a little when it first started. Obviously this problem was worse in the winter. I made no modifications what so ever to the truck when running the waste oils.

Other than having to be careful with coldstart, I never did have any real issues with it. However, the truck had a noticeable increase in low end torque and could pull harder for the same amount of turbo boost. I drove it up to the ski slopes like that once, and it would just lean into that hill even in overdrive on some of the easier portions. It was no more or less prone to smoke either. If anything, it would smoke a bit less.

As with the electric fans, I just didn't have the time to make a proper storage and filtration system for the waste oil. We got really busy with work and when the moose pump arrived, I figured it was best to just buy the clean fuel and not tempt fate. I used the old fuel tank out of the saturn for storage and put a compressor fitting on so I could use compressed air to push the oil out through a 10 micron filter. Even then, I just felt it wasn't enough to be safe long term.

But short answer is no; I never did do any consecutive MPG tests with the blended fuel. My feeling is that there was a noticeable improvement, but I just didn't run it long enough to say for sure.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't put swapping to e-fans off due to time constraints David.
the other night i replaced my rad after work (i got home at 5pm) and retrofitting the e-fans right back on and had her all back in action before it got dark.it's that easy.
took longer to hook up the hoses.trans lines and fill the rad again than it did the few mins to bolt the e-fans back on.
sure i had things retrofitted this time around.but the little fabricating of trimming some shroud and rigging up a custom hanger or two,doesn't take much longer.it's a simple job.
easier and much more enjoyable than say,changing all 4 shocks with rusted bolts,swapping in a different set of seats,or repacking front wheel bearings for some examples.
it's like a 1.5 - 2 for difficulty level on a scale of 1-10,with front wheel u-joints or ball joint replacement being a 10 if this helps.very easy.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to investigate further into that mystery dead glow plug/smoke puff today since I suspected they were related. It turned out to be right on the front (closest to the alternator - I think thats the number 1 cylinder...too lazy to look it up right nowLOL) so it was easy to pull the injector and see what it did on the pop tester. It starts ******* at 1700 but its a lazy, steady stream of liquid instead of mist:puke:.

Hold it steady at 1500 and it leaks. Not very much, but it still leaks:puke:

Push it hard enough and it does atomize the fuel, but there were several visible strands coming out instead of the usual crisp snap of fuel atoms that I want to see (yes, my eyes are good enough to see fuel atoms:rotflmao).

So I rummage through my old set of delphi injectors and the first one seems to shoot ok. Put it in the truck and nope - makes an audible knock, and the truck smokes when reved up. Pull it out and try another one. This one spits clean and short right at 1900 PSI (steady stream pulses between 1700-1800). Put it in and it seems to run well. The knock soon fades and I observe the exhaust smoke in direct sunlight to see if its cleared up at all.

There was still the slightest intermittent grey puff, but when the high idle/cold advance drops, it becomes steady.....hmm.....

The truck behaves on the test drive and pulls well. When I get back, I park it so that the tailpipe shoots across the rays of the sun again and I eyeball it to look for any signs of smoke. I have pretty good eyesight (when I'm not spending most of the day on forums or electronics PDF datasheets:rolleyes:) and I can't detect anything. Just the heat distortion venting off and a smooth idle. There is still a slight audible tick, but it could be there just because I was looking for it.

I'm hoping for another towing run tomorrow, or the day after. I find it hard to believe that I would to better than before, but it will be interesting to see if this changes anything. The horrible spray of the injector makes me think it could have been the reason for killing that glow plug (had a spare and replaced that too). The smoke rolling on slightly after the cold advance kicked off also makes me wonder if I shouldn't be at a slightly more advanced timing as well. Previously I thought my glow plug failures were related to the timing being too advanced, but at least on this hole, it seems to have been from the injector. I won't change anything yet, but am open to any ideas.:hail
Sux not being able to time it properly-cuss

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I took the trip today with trailer in tow.

Distance (corrected for odometer error): 365.5km / 223.3 miles (22km was short driving during the week including 3 cold starts)
Fuel consumed: 43L / 11.36 US gallons

= ~19.6 MPG:mad:-cuss (that 0.4 MPG is mocking me....:backoff)
Well if nothing else, it shows consistency for the previous fillups. Maybe I'll skip breakfast and leave one of the tanks empty next time:rolleyes:LOL

The trailer was empty for half the trip this time, It was also a bit windy for some of the way, and I tempted the AC a few times.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two more runs.

First tank:

50.67L for 313.89 km (corrected for odometer error)

50.67 / 3.875 = ~13.08 US gallons

313.89 x 0.611 = ~191.79 miles

Works out to 14.33 MPG

This tank saw a lot of everything (got my new bucket seats with this fillup among other things;Sweet). Drove up a local mountain, did some 70 MPH cruising but at least half of this was short trips of 10 miles or less in stop an go traffic. The number doesn't surprise me at all. There was some towing of our boat but again, that was a fairly short distance.

Second tank (today):

38.55L for 328.75 km

38.55 / 3.875 = ~10.18 US gallons

328.75 x 0.611 = ~200.87 miles

Works out to 19.73 MPG

This second tank was my usual 200 mile drive with trailer in tow and the cruise set at 55 as much as I could. I fueled up after the first run of this post, drove the 200.87 miles, then fueled up when I got back into town so it was an all hot run. The trailer was empty for the trip home however (100 miles).

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two more runs (and they hurt)

First one was a 55 MPH towing run that netted 17.5 MPG
Second one was lots of short trips in town, some brief sprints on the highway (with steep hill in the way) and some towing of our boat again in stop and go city traffic.

...............11.84 MPG (yowch!). Although this one is a one tank average of only 62 miles

The 17.5 MPG maintains the consecutive fillup on the front tank to avoide change over error but I figured I'd post the 11.8 number anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle