Moose Pump Review

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My experience with my pump is that I have to feather it driving through town or I'll roll out smoke. Doesnt bother me any, a diesel is supposed to smoke a little and a little puff at takeoff is nothing in my opinion. I'm sure it ****** the tree huggers off but thats too bad.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do have to be more cafeful with it. Especially when it comes to cruising in high gear.
When I get the chance, I will have to reprogram the transmission to upshift later relative to throttle position.

For much of yesterday, I stayed in 3rd gear.

For light driving, I don't notice any smoke unless I tromp on it. Driving hard will throw more smoke but with a dodgy pyro, I won't be doing much of that.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
someone always mentions a dyno.
For a low rpm diesel I would think a dyno would be fairly worthless.
even for race cars a higher number on the dyno doesn't always equate to faster 1/4mile times.

Acceleration is greatly enhanced, fuel economy is as good if not better, and there is plenty more top end power.
Do you need a piece of paper telling you that there is more power?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone needs dyno #s t conclude that a Moose Pump or similar creates more power than a stock pump. Heath Sutton's truck had the highest dyno #s at the really with a DPS pump and they were similar to the Moose but not as well refined and developed. I want to say Heath got 185 Rwhp with DPS pump and stock BBs. I don't think anyone dyno'ed a Moose Pumped truck last year. I think before and after numbers woud just be some attempt to quantify the improvement. I want to dyno mine just cause I'm curious, but around these parts curiosity costs $70 per dyno run and I'm also a bit worried about breaking stuff. I'm sure my #s wouldn't be anything to write home about since I'm not running Moose or DPS fuel system components, just a moderately turned up 7.3 spec pump. If I got 150 WHP I'd probably consider that OK.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Why are people always worried about breaking stuff on a dyno? My truck gets worked harder than that pulling a camper through the mountains. It spent a lot more time riding the red line in the hills then on some rollers.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people worry. Maybe it's working the thing that hard with no load on it. Also I remember right before Darrin Tosh converted his truck to Cummins, he had a dyno run and blew a head gasket. True it was an old engine and was being pushed to 15 psi with propane. He had some of the best #s I have ever seen for an IDI. IIRC it was 215 HP at the wheels with the propane on. I don't know if it was the dyno run that did it, and Darrin himself has never offered an opinion. I don't know if he wants to weigh in now but he'd sure be welcome to. I'm even more curious about my truck because of running the B100 biodiesel in it. In theory, it should produce a little less power with that fuel because the amount of BTU/unit is lower with B100 than D2. On the other hand biodiesel has oxygen within the fuel itself from what I hear so that should give it a more complete burn. There is definitely way less black smoke for similar throttle levels and fuel settings, I know that.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah and your dyno numbers are also very good... I'd be really thrilled if I was anywhere close to that. Feels like a lot of power by the seat of my pants but then I have never driven a PSD or Cummins, just other IDIs and the 5.2 diesel at work, which is probably way down on power compared to any of our trucks, that's the way the boss wants it LOL.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cost wise, the thing about a Moose Pump is that it is really not much more than a standard pump rebuild (about $75). It's just that our rebuilds are better than most, and therefore not $300 internet jobbies, but more realistic rebuilds that go for about twice that much. Horesepower per dollar, it's an outstanding value.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without giving out any trade secrets on the Moose Pump.... how are your rebuilds better than one of the economy builds? I believe you when you say they are, but certainly there are corners that are cut to get the cost down to the el cheapo prices, corners your guy doesn't cut or extra steps he takes that make it more worthwhile. This could apply to his stock-ish rebuilds as well as to a Moose Pump. I agree the value is better on a Moose than a DPS pump because we know you're an honest guy for sure and that if we have a problem you'll pick up the phone. That alone has to be worth something.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people worry. Maybe it's working the thing that hard with no load on it. Also I remember right before Darrin Tosh converted his truck to Cummins, he had a dyno run and blew a head gasket. True it was an old engine and was being pushed to 15 psi with propane. He had some of the best #s I have ever seen for an IDI. IIRC it was 215 HP at the wheels with the propane on. I don't know if it was the dyno run that did it, and Darrin himself has never offered an opinion. I don't know if he wants to weigh in now but he'd sure be welcome to

Correct, Here are the dyno rsults:

First pull, no LPG
HP 183.15 Torque 325.45

2nd and 3rd pull with LPG

HP 205.35 Torque 362.64
HP 205.51 Torque 361.55

So 22.96 increase in HP
and 37.19 increase in Torque.

And it did take out a head gasket during the dyno runs. I knew it was getting week cause it had been loosing a little coolant for over a year, knowing it would go eventually, just kept driving it till it happened. Too bad it really didn't show up till 4 days later when I was heading to the IDI Rally pullin 5ver,...

Would I dyno the truck again? Yup! I have tried but the schedule has not worked out yet but may be able to this spring.

Somewhere I have it on video and on one of the pulls you can see a different puff of smoke come out of it, I should see if I can find that vid,...

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, Here are the dyno rsults:

First pull, no LPG
HP 183.15 Torque 325.45

2nd and 3rd pull with LPG

HP 205.35 Torque 362.64
HP 205.51 Torque 361.55

So 22.96 increase in HP
and 37.19 increase in Torque.

And it did take out a head gasket during the dyno runs. I knew it was getting week cause it had been loosing a little coolant for over a year, knowing it would go eventually, just kept driving it till it happened. Too bad it really didn't show up till 4 days later when I was heading to the IDI Rally pullin 5ver,...

Would I dyno the truck again? Yup! I have tried but the schedule has not worked out yet but may be able to this spring.

Somewhere I have it on video and on one of the pulls you can see a different puff of smoke come out of it, I should see if I can find that vid,...

For my own curiosity do you have any 0-60 #'s? Maybe video of the cluster 0-60, (if your speedo is accurate)?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just uploaded some videos of me 0-60, cold start, and shifting 1st-4th on youtube. I don't think I have the same power level as Big Ed with that dyno run. If anyone wants to see I'm jdkl81 over there.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just uploaded some videos of me 0-60, cold start, and shifting 1st-4th on youtube. I don't think I have the same power level as Big Ed with that dyno run. If anyone wants to see I'm jdkl81 over there.

Can't find yours, lay down a link! Here's 6.9 CCDually before i did the O/D.
Dually 0-60

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Why are people always worried about breaking stuff on a dyno? My truck gets worked harder than that pulling a camper through the mountains. It spent a lot more time riding the red line in the hills then on some rollers.

I have never worried about revving my engine, i wouldnt care to jump on the dyno and make a few 4500 rpm pulls:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online