moose power?

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
:bail :***:

I hope this ain't Jsnap or Zippy in disguise, since he loves trolling any post regarding our tried & true brotherhood Moose. That fell'r makes Brittany Spears look like an angel

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
:bail :***:

I hope this ain't Jsnap or Zippy in disguise, since he loves trolling any post regarding our tried & true brotherhood Moose. That fell'r makes Brittany Spears look like an angel

I agree. Maybe some actual build pictures from the "bench racers" would be nice. Seems everyone and their grandmother recently is churning out "top secret" performance IDI's but none of them can be held accounted for. Well, other than the actual documentation of the hypermax build. Although that was years ago...still have a set of pictures of it!

farm_boy1692

Reaction score
I agree. Maybe some actual build pictures from the "bench racers" would be nice. Seems everyone and their grandmother recently is churning out "top secret" performance IDI's but none of them can be held accounted for. Well, other than the actual documentation of the hypermax build. Although that was years ago...still have a set of pictures of it!

i would include some pics but the truck was wreaked before we could get any taken its been a bout 1 1/2 2 years now and he still hasent recovered fully yet

farm_boy1692

Reaction score
cookoo :drunk: cookoo :bs

I shouldnt even be reacting to this BS. Thedieselstop.com would Love to hear your plans though, you'll have much better luck finding extreme IDI's over there

this isnt BS thats the plans are and will be no mater what idi engine or idit eninge i have so you can take it as it is and leave it alone and when i get it built there will be plenty of pic on here and powerstroke nation to rub in your face and ill still make the power safely just to prove you wrong

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hay ive got sumthin to share for you guys i had a buddie of that had a 1986 f259 6.9 i dont remember how big his turbo was but it was putin out any where between 20 and 32 psi i had custom cut low comp pistions some head work done and a pump off a 93 that was turnded up 3 whole flats and two on the torqe screw and that truck was putin out over 400 hp at the rear tires with around 700 ft lb tq and the engine rebulib was only a 30 over. the high horse in these are posible but its like some one on here said everyengine is different some cant do this some could go way past.

No offense intended, but that is hard to believe. Chris's truck is built almost exactly as you describe, but he has a Moose pump (much more fuel than a turned up '93 IP) and a Hypermax turbo. Search here for "diesel4me2" and you can read all you want about his truck and it's build. Now, look at the IDI FAQ section. There are dyno results from multiple IDI's. Look at Chris's numbers.

Like I said, no offense intended, but you can not post something like that on OB and have it just accepted. Got any dyno sheets, photos, or any evidence to back up a 400HP IDI? Without those things, it is very hard to just accept that as a fact.

Respectfully,

Heath

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
also i wana see him put the 7.3 heads on his 6.9.....

and the cummins injectors i highly doubt will work. cummins are direct injected. way different spray pattern.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Little off the subject but along the same lines.

I fired my baby moose up yesterday. It ran fast, smooth, smooth, smooth, and did I mention it was smooth. Reved it up only a few rpms, but it was very smooth. Now, I have not had a chance to get it tuned, but the garage is about 60ish degrees and it works really well. No problems to report yet, I am still putting a few things together and fixing a bird nest of wiring.

SWS

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
farm boy, was your buddys 400/700 combo modified any beyond the huge boost and cranked pump?? and was it a daily driver/long haul puller, or like a sled or strip truck? and is that what you plan to do to yours??

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id like to add that i think that anything is possible, but i do have to agree with the other guys farm boy. makin that much power with an idi is a lot harder than one would think. ill be honest, if you read my whole thread, i came in here expectin to be able to build a one-off, blown idi combo and lay down 400/800. i now know, ill be puttin down bout half of that, but its ok. its not the numbers im after, its the uniqueness of my build with the reliability it will have if i do it right. i too played with the idea of a twin turbo 6.9.

also farmboy, in regards to your post, #111: "this isnt BS thats the plans are and will be no mater what idi engine or idit eninge i have so you can take it as it is and leave it alone and when i get it built there will be plenty of pic on here and powerstroke nation to rub in your face and ill still make the power safely just to prove you wrong," i dont mind you defendin yourself, i would love you to prove everybody wrong. thats how innovations are developed. (everything i was ever told said 31x10.50 tires wouldnt fit on my explorer without cuttin or a lift. i had to do neither and they dont rub). but in doin so, at least in my threads, you will be respectful of others. i dont allow disrespect or ****** matches. if you dont believe me, read the whole thread.

in fact, you should read the whole thread anyways. there is a lot of information that has been posted here that you might find quite useful. ;Sweet

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little off the subject but along the same lines.

I fired my baby moose up yesterday. It ran fast, smooth, smooth, smooth, and did I mention it was smooth. Reved it up only a few rpms, but it was very smooth. Now, I have not had a chance to get it tuned, but the garage is about 60ish degrees and it works really well. No problems to report yet, I am still putting a few things together and fixing a bird nest of wiring.

SWS

what all have you done to your motor? and how did you get it so smooth? just from the IP and injectors, or a lot of other stuff too?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
The reason it runs so smooth is because of the IP and Injectors. Matching them within #50 is probably one of the biggest things. I have to rebuild my tester but that is another story.

The engine is a factory bore 6.9, with a baby moose and BB code E-bay injectors for the fuel, gasket matched intake, gasket matched intake ports, ported and polished (mostly in the pocket) exhaust, 7.3 rockers that have been cleaned up, valve job, Torque grind cam from Type4, ARP head studs, and thermal coating on the exhaust manifolds.

There are a few other things I have done like shimmed the oil pressure bypass valve, and put in new lifters but that is pretty much it for now.

There are threads on here about porting heads and a few vids I have posted on youtube under IDI heads or 6.9 heads or something like that.

I probably did not need the baby moose pump, but I needed a pump. Just putting it on made a difference in the way it started and idled. I have not been able to have it timed yet because I am still in the process of building things for the vehicle like the gauge pod and t-case shifter. After fixing some of that stuff, it will be good to go and I will have vids of it.

Shortly after that, I will start building the blower mount and inlet.

SWS

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so does the moose injection system just inherently generate a smoother runnin motor? and are the injectors all specd to 1600 psi exactly?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
A good calibrated IP and injectors will make it run really well. Now, with the other stuff:

1600 psi is too low. Mine are all 1950-2000psi. THat causes a good spray pattern. You do not want to run more than that or the IP starts to have problems with wear. Prior to sending the IP out, I set all of the pressures to match. It is kind of a pain...espically when the pressure leaks off. I will reset them again after I bebuild the tester (fix the 3 leaks) and put a few miles on these. There were probably only 1k miles on them when I started the rebuild.

I will post vids when I get it running right again. It is going to have a lot of custom stuff, which is taking some time. As soon as I get the "underhood" stuff done, I will put it on the road. I will do the door panels later.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling the air across the impeller would create a vacuum. That's like saying you could put that turbo on a bigger engine, and it will suck the air through, there is no benefit. If the turbo is maxed, it's maxed, you wouldn't want to over speed it would you?

There are a few reasons I would choose to run the 112 first.

1. Lets say that you will be running 10psi, the supercharger will be putting out air at 200 degrees.

wa= (24.7 x .85 x 1650 x 420) / (639.6 x 660) = 35lbs/min

That's effectively turning your 6.9l into a 9.66l engine, you need a bigger turbo.

2. The second reason is that the parasitic hp draw from the blower increases with pressure and rpm.

At it's max speed, at 10psi, the m112 draws 58hp:eek:!
Since it is a fixed displacement pump, it will flow almost the same amount of air at a given rpm no matter what pressure it is pushing. So, if you ran the blower first, here is what would happen. It would start pushing the air @10psi immediately into the turbo, and a couple of things will happen. First, the increased volume would go out the exhaust to the turbine aiding in spooling the turbo ( I would definitely up size turbine housing). The second thing that would happen, is when the turbo spools, it will need less pressure on the inlet to make the pressure ( max final pressure 20psi boost with the m112). To make 20 psi the blower would need to push only 7.35 psi (a pressure ratio of 1.5:1) that's 22.05 psia x 1.5 (turbo p/r) and you get 33.08psia- 14.7 = 18.375 psi boost, not exactly 20, but it's close enough for our reasons. That means the blower will only be drawing 45hp or less. In reality the blower would only be running a p/r of 1.3:1 4.6psi boost and drawing 38 hp max.

3. No matter what you do, if you use the blower as your final drive, or final compressor, the power draw will be there. If they will draw 58hp at 10 psi, how much do you think they will draw at 20psi?

I may have left something out, so I'll put it in another post if I did.
Also, in my first post I said I would use an m112, I meant m122.

An inter cooler will be necessary!

I think of the turbo blowing air into the supercharger like a turbo blowing air into an engine. The SC just like an engine has a fixed volume of air that goes through it per revolution. The more the air is compressed goin into it the more boost I'll gain. Idk. Its just my thinking. I'll just tinker with it both ways and see what happens. ;Sweet