moose power?

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im told that this is the place to find the infamous moose pump and mels misters. what kinda pressure do these units deliver? also, just browsin, what is the typ4 cam? ive also been told bout connel exhaust valves. im not new to the IDIs in stock trim, though my hands-on experience, and knowledge of mod availability is almost non-existant. doesnt stop me from havin a sick plan in the works though. ;Sweet

any help or advice is appreciated. :)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest starting at this thread for info on the Moose Pump: http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18713

Short version is, it's a high performance pump with a modified timing curve and very high build quality. I'm not running one yet, but I plan to...there are a number of testimonials in threads on this forum from very satisfied customers. You don't have a signature on here, so I don't know if you have a turbocharger on your engine or not...if you don't, you pretty much need one to utilize a Moose Pump safely, and an intercooler is also strongly recommended.

Hope this helps some...good luck, and welcome aboard!

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why is a turbo almost needed? and would you say 16 to 18 lbs of uncooled boost is feasable? pendin head studs and fire-rings of course.

and thank you. i can be found on ford truck enthusiasts as 460/5. the plan is to trade a truck of mine for his 84 f250 with a 6.9 in it. it will be my first diesel, but one ive wanted for the better part of 2 and a half years.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I can say with 99% certainty that other members will back me up in saying 16-18psi of non cooled boost would melt your engine down, even if you could get it up that high in the first place. Don't get me wrong 16-18psi is attainable but you need to really know how to tune your turbocharger with your engine and fuel input to get it there. You really need to have seen a moose pump work in a truck to see just exactly how fast the EGT's climb when you get into full boost and the pedals on the floor. Personally I think the intercooler is just as important as the turbocharger is when you're going to be using a moose pump.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
why is a turbo almost needed? and would you say 16 to 18 lbs of uncooled boost is feasable? pendin head studs and fire-rings of course.

You need more air for more fuel, thus the turbo. Also, the higher the boost the higher the intake air charge temperature, causing higher exhaust gas temps. An intercooler helps cool the intake charge, thus reducing egts. Not to mention, burning more fuel permits higher egt's (as long as you are burning it, not just rolling coal). I think you'll find fire rings scarce for these engines (if they even exist) because of the pre-cup is part of the sealing surface. Not saying it can't be done, just sayin...

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. ill spill the beans on my plan. just dont steal it! lol.

i want to put an 8-71 blower on a 6.9, and back it with a moose fuel system (and a mechanical fuel shut-off, should one ever be found again). the motor will be freshly rebuilt, with the connel exhaust valves (now that i know where to find them) and post 1986 rockers. slightly stiffer valve springs, and the best torque cam i can find. and all will be vented through headers.

my consern of the EGTs is only if im at risk burnin up the valves or meltin somethin down. i dont have a turbo turbine to take care of back there. also, while yes, compressed air gets hot, ill be drawin ambient, outside air that wont be overly warmed by the heat that turbos tend to collect.

now that you know my plans, dont steal em! lol.

or maybe ive finally gone off my rocker??

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blowers build heat also but I dont think its like turbos. Blowers draw more power since there belt driven also. It would be a neat project though.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
or maybe ive finally gone off my rocker??

It would be a COMPLETE waste of money. A moose pump would simply melt your pistons to a liquid form....and I am not kidding.

I have seen a youtube clip of the moose truck gettin some and it smokes just as much as my truck does with the pump bumped up....without a turbo in my truck:eek:

Yes, non intercooled boost is warm, sometimes downright hot, but it IS more air afterall.

Excessive fuel in the cylinders is jsut that. It will wash down your cylinder walls, and cause premature ring wear. Then the excess soot will get into your oil and start working against your engines bearing surfaces, and your rings will soot up and you will lose compression among many things.

I HIGHLY suggest getting a turbo first!

I am in the process now of talking with some members on building the ULTIMATE engine. I have stumbled across a COMPLETE IDI turbo (factory) and I am going to tear it down, rebuild it from the ground up, bigger compressor wheel, compressor bigger housing, torquer cam, matched injectors, shaved pistons, studs and to start, a maxed out factory 1992.5 - 1994.5 IDI turbo pump WITH the torque screw. I am also looking around at intercoolers for good measure.

Even WITH all that, I would SERIOUSLY doubt I could run a turned up moose pump....I fear it could deliver more fuel that I could burn.

BUT, as I always say....it's your truck, and you are free to do with it what you want. But, if you insist on running a moose pump on a N/A engine, I will send you a cheque and a box right now.....so you can send me that pump when one of your pistons melts and destroys the engine. :sly

You are on the right track though for a good working NA idi engine.

A 6.9 with the torquer cam, COLD AIR INTAKE (cowl induction maybe?:sly) matched injectors, TRUE DUAL EXHAUST and the upgraded 7.3 valve train....you could have one hell of a performer.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Compressed air will build heat. How much heat depends on inlet temperatures, how much compression is going on (18 PSI in a cylinder that has a compression ratio of 21.5:1 is a LOT) and the rate of each compression.

But again, a less colder air is better than a LOT of hot air for power in an NA engine, but if you are running a turbo with no intercooler, a lot of hot air is better than too much fuel on a NA motor.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If you really want a good quality, HONNEST built moose pump, contact Mel on here. Ask him who Jsnap is, hell....ask ICANFIXALL if you REALLY want the full story. This guy is so full of crap everytime he burps it smells like someone farted.

I have ALWAYS found mel to be a stand up guy, and those who bought his product seemed REALLY happy with the pumps, with NO problems to date IIRC.....one pump had a problem and was backed by Mel Himself if that's the story I remember right.

I should also ask...do you have a pyrometer in mind for your build? I would REALLY consider getting one.

Before I get too far....Mel's username is Agnem. He is planning the IDI rally this year and is EXTREMELY busy, so be patient in waiting for a reply!

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Why would you want a SC on a diesel?? Turbo boost is almost free power, and with the amount of exhaust a diesel puts out, it makes no sense to run a SC. Get creative with turbos, and call it good.

my $.02

PZ

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Just Google Conestoga Diesel in Conestoga PA and get Joel and tell him to build you a pump he builds the (Mooses) but dont go asking him for a moose pump cause he may refer you to Mel out of respect then hold on to your wallet.. Then Google Delta Cams in Washington State and tell them what your working with and what you want to do and you will be a Happy IDI,er with alot more coin in your pocket.. Good luck

:Whatever:

You are worthless....

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Might want to check the hp requirements of an 8-71 sc as well, then look at your valve cover sticker...I think you'll be impressed!

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
There actually was a 6.9L diesel with a blower for sale on ebay a few years ago. From what I understood, it was making far less power than a turbo charger due to the power that was required to turn the blower. Although, I did hear about old Detroit diesels that ran blowers WITH turbochargers...maybe someone else on here knows more about that than me.

Also: Thanks mods for taking care of a little something. ;Sweet

Attachments

• 1b_12.jpg
    1b_12.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 14_12.jpg
    14_12.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 62_12.jpg
    62_12.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts