Moms Crew Cab too DANGEROUS to Drive. Help!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
It is usually a pretty simple fix to get the wobble to go away. Rotate the tires and get over the idea that a steering stabilizer is the last thing you should do. These trucks should not be without a stabilizer in my experience, especially with a ttb front end. A straight axle is a whole different animal, but I run them on there to. Put it on there and it will likely go away. New shocks help to though. You will bang your head against the wall without the stabilizer.

I dissagree. If they were meant to be on there, then the factory would have put them on. All they do is cover up the problem

MJlogan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dissagree. If they were meant to be on there, then the factory would have put them on. All they do is cover up the problem

100% agree. Stabilizers are band aids. If everything is right they are un necessary.

Toe it out a few turns and drive it. Bet you anything it goes away. This is not by any means the correct fix, but i have done this to get by for a while on a few vehicles that suffered death wobble.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno, U.joints, trackbar and ball joints, sounds to me like it's treat this as a complete tear down and review/replace bad parts time to me.

Take and find a level spot, preferably cement or tarmac, maybe jack the truck up level and do some critical measuring plumb lines from the axles center lines L to R and F to R measure for square? may be an idea to remove tyres to get this as accurate as possible make sure both sides are equal, front to rear, also make sure axles are centered correctly L to R once your sure of the trucks position as it should be SQUARE then start the isolation of parts.

Pull front drive shaft?
Pull the axles in the front diff, 1 at a time-test without axles?

Basically start removing removable parts to isolate what causes the issue one part at a time.

If after removing drive shaft and axles your still having the problem, move on to things like shackle bushings all 4, and the track bar too. pull and check for the squishy bushing?

If none of the above? Try Ball joints, tight,but no binding in any direction of travel? Replace if needed.

Isolate one part/system at a time. That is my best recommendation.

Good luck

EDIT...another thing...Check for cracks along frame or any suspension mounting location or loose rivets too.

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score

Brackets for my stabilizer say Ford right on em. Got a buddy with a one owner F350 IDI and factory stabilizer. :dunno Maybe the factory did find them necessary.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brackets for my stabilizer say Ford right on em. Got a buddy with a one owner F350 IDI and factory stabilizer. :dunno Maybe the factory did find them necessary.

Yes stabilizers can mask a given problem. Yes Ford offered them Yes they also are useful on a perfectly good steering system to help dampen sudden impacts be it a rut or rock, curb etc so the steering box does not have to take the brunt of the impact. Like shocks dampening out impacts on the wheel/suspension so does stabilizers on the steering system.

The key is to have a good working steering system prior to installing one or remove it to diagnose a problem.;Sweet

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

Yes, they were an option for people thinking they needed them. I have NEVER owned a truck w one and guess what.... I dont have DW or bump steer because my S#!+ is tight like it should be

DragRag

Reaction score
I disagree. If they were meant to be on there, then the factory would have put them on. All they do is cover up the problem.

And my answer to that is....

Well we will agree to disagree then. I know to many of these trucks that have these problems. I had one start with a whole 35k miles on it, and no wear on any of the front end parts that would justify replacement. I have a fleet of these trucks, not just one or two that is now approaching 20 trucks. it is know that the geometry on these ttb front ends is not great and is marginal. Imagine the cost saving over 100,000 trucks if they skip the stabilizer. Anyone hear should know that manufacturers have cost saving steps to make there business more profitable even if it means some warranty work in the future, they save more then they spend in the long run. These types of things are done all the time, and are a known business practice to make money. Manged risk is what i believe they call it. Put the stabilizer on it, it should be there anyway.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Guys guys, calm down. I'm hoping to get some time this week to mess with this truck a bit, while at the same time start working on my brown truck and maybe with any luck I'll have both of them fixed before spring. lol

I must be honest, we bought this truck from the original owner, it had around 65k miles on it when we bought it, and it in fact did have a factory steering stabilizer on it. It was not until we took the truck in for a front end rebuild at 100k that we stopped putting the steering stabilizer on. It sorta walked off at the alignment shop and we just never put it back on.

JPdrvinmylfawy

Reaction score
Dont worry about it drag, i guess hes on his pedastool again. When he thinks he is right we all know no matter what we or the masses say he is right and we are wrong

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
steering dampners are a band-aid yes. I'll take a band-aid than having death wobble oscillate to the point where the steering shaft to the pitman arm sheers off. I've seen that happen more than once in a F450. if I can go home in one piece, it beats the hell out of a out-of-control truck and a bodybag.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
steering dampners are a band-aid yes. I'll take a band-aid than having death wobble oscillate to the point where the steering shaft to the pitman arm sheers off. I've seen that happen more than once in a F450. if I can go home in one piece, it beats the hell out of a out-of-control truck and a bodybag.

True that! I got your message btw. lol ;Sweet

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Yes, they were an option for people thinking they needed them. I have NEVER owned a truck w one and guess what.... I dont have DW or bump steer because my S#!+ is tight like it should be

Just because ford didn't put a stabilizer on every thing does not mean they are not a good idea. We have all added stuff to our trucks that the factory didn't offer and we think they are good ideas. I mean obviously they didn't offer 35" tall tires so you must not need them right:dunno Just slow down and think for a bit but a stabilizer has one job to do and that is to help control sudden shocks or impacts on the steering so even if all your stuff is tight it could still benefit from a stabilizer when hitting potholes and what not.

I also do not beleive its death wobble if it is doing it still at 10mph that is not enough speed to cause the front end to oscilate. This leaves me with 2 thoughts 1 a tire is getting ready to fall off be it lug nuts or bearings and 2 is he might have over exagerrated the 10 mph trying to show how bad it has gotten

Black dawg

Reaction score
have we checked out the front end parts yet?
every dw problem Ive delt with was caused by the tires.
One particular truck (o4 dodge 3500 4x4 6inch lift 37 bfg at) started wobbling after the lift and tires. No parts were loose (30k) and 2 (customers orders) big fancy dampers were added. The dampers didnt help at all. we found that putting caster at 0deg the wobble was reduced to almost non existant. I told him from the begining that the tires were at fault, but he didnt find out till about a year later when he needed bigger tires. caster was put back to normal and no death wobble (even without his fancy-ass look at me steering shocks) with 38 inch radial swampers. none of my vehicles have dampers as they are way too easy to damage, causing all kinds of other cool problems.