LOOK OUT Air Hog 1.0 fuel system

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Insulating the lines I think is big. I can really see a difference in fuel temp on warmer days. For instance not too many days ago outside temp was upper 80's, the fuel temp made it up to 120 degrees. Other days when the temp is in 50's I'm lucky if I get 90 degrees on fuel side.
Another little I noticed, I bet you don't travel too many gravel or dirt roads, pretty clean underneath. (Highway envy:hail:D)

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Ya no dirt for me lol only when I got to my parents house in missouri another thing I want to really figure out is a good fuel temp gauge.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the cheap side, I used one of those little automotive temp indoor/outdoor put the sensor on the fuel line after the stock filter. Works pretty good.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of exactly what I'm using.

Thats kinda funny I didn't think I would find it.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 43

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temp control is one of the issues with both heat exchangers and certainly exhaust wrapping. This is a reason 12V heaters are a good choice. With your thermometers, you can control oil temps a little easier if it gets too high, just shut them off or install a thermostat like in a hot water heater, they're designed to work together anyway. Input your perfect temp to mix and the thermostat takes over. You could even mark the thermo for mix ratio's, this way you can find perfect settings on the fly.

On the heat exchangers, you can always install a flow limiter to control hot water circulation, I think one of those vacuum operated chingases that controls our heaters would work nicely, especially if it could be set up for mid-ranges as well as just off/on. Since some of you are using manual controls, same thing could be done for the flow limiters, simplest- just a cable controlled valve into the cab.... like one of these:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/15830/10002/-1?parentProductId=762888

They can be used to shift fuel valves too. Daisy chaining a supply and return valve can double the duty of a single pull, or, if a rocker system is used, can control both tanks systems simultaneously. Of course, the more complex will require heavier cables to move all 4 valves at once in the fuel system. Five pulls mounted under dash might enhance the interior too. Red handles for front tank, blue handles for rear tank, green handle for water heater control, or all same color with labels.... you get the drift.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
My trip into work today showed me something these napa pumps really really hate thick fuel im going to insulate my exhaust coil and see if I can get some more heat into it and I might even do a second coil out of half inch copper and put it directly infront of the napa pump because the 3/8 coil has to go probably 5 feet before it hits the pump I might look into a 12v heated filter too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online