Lincoln Mark 8 Electric Fan

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after looking at lots of topics, having my truck get hot while running the a/c in traffic this summer, buying a couple of Taurus fans and checking the fitment, today I got a Lincoln fan and started to mock some stuff up.

I went back and forth between one or two fans, and I guess I figured that the weak link is the end rush current demand on the alternator. Yes, I realize that I could upgrade my alternator, but I want to see how a single fan works with the existing charging system in place.

Its very rough right now, however, I really think there's lot of room for a clean installation. I trimmed the fan 1/2" all the way around to make the fan thinner to gain a little clearance as I'd like to be able to sneaky pete a serpentine belt on or off if necessary.

Please excuse the zip ties, just wanted to get it mounted and mocked up. It pushes lots of air, seemed to cool a hot radiator very quickly, and go my test wires very hot inside of 30 seconds (relay definitely in the works, maybe a smart controller too).

This fan is supposed to move the most air (in the neighborhood of 4500 cfm) with the least amount of current draw (supposedly less than 30 amps continuous).

Stay tuned, I apologize for the poor pics, I didn't even think about taking pics until I had already started and it was raining when I got the camera out.

Attachments

• 100_2437cc.JPG
    100_2437cc.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_2438cc.JPG
    100_2438cc.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_2439cc.JPG
    100_2439cc.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_2443cc.JPG
    100_2443cc.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 16

tenlug

Reaction score
If ya search Summit or Jegs there are variable speed fan controls. I think they start the fan at 60% then ramp up from there. This would reduce the start up spike, but won't reduce the running amps. I set up my 2 speed taurus fans with relays so the fans have to be running on low before they switch to hi. This was a PIA to wire. Should have used variable speed controls. By the way the start up spike with the taurus fan on hi is about 70 amps, running is about 32 amps. Steve

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. The Lincoln fans are two speed as well, and I am thinking I'll use two relays and do the "low to high" manual switch for some testing purposes, but I am definitely thinking about a Delta controller as they take care of the startup spikes and are relatively inexpensive.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your fitment looks very similar to mine. Don't worry about inrush current. Your battery will handle that. You will need to close off the rest of the rad, so that the fan can pull air across all of the fins.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mel, I spent a lot of time looking at your twin fan set up. If I was going to tow a lot in thin air, I would have mimicked your set up, but I would have definitely needed more alternator. I want to see how well a single Lincoln fan works pulling just the area that's covered by the shroud.

Stay tuned, and thanks for the heads up on the current draw.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
If you need to cover tue rest of the radiator, you can remove the Lincoln fan from the shroud and make brackets to bolt it into the stock shroud.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The mark 8 fan damn sure does draw 30 amps. It played hell on my old flareside when I did the conversion. So much so that I had to upgrade to a PSD alternator just to keep up with the load. Hindsight being 20/20 with that truck. I could have run it on low speed. On High, it never got the chance to warm up. The e-fan swap was definitely worth it IMHO. Easier belt change, easier to service other components, premium cooling ability and excellent flow. I'm interested in seeing more pics of this because one day I want to do this conversion....after I figure out why my factory alt gauge reads so low...and even lower with the AC kickin.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like in the summer when I park and shut down, I walk away and hear that fan whirring... it just sort of has a coolness factor. Kind of reminds me of a GG-1 or an E-44 sitting at Penn Station. Just a lot quieter. LOL

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like in the summer when I park and shut down, I walk away and hear that fan whirring... it just sort of has a coolness factor. Kind of reminds me of a GG-1 or an E-44 sitting at Penn Station. Just a lot quieter. LOL

That's funny Mel. My Grand National fan runs after the car shuts down and I like the fact that it helps with heat soaking, but it is notorious for killing the battery in a turbo Buick, so much so that most people unplug the relay.

I do like the locomotive analogy ;Sweet