leaking oilcoller after new gaskets installed

oldoiler

Reaction score
leaking oilcooler after new gaskets installed

I recently installed a used replacment 6.9l engine in my 1986 f250. I have been plagued by a number of setbacks which continue to keep me from using this truck. the latest is that I discovered that my oilcooler is leaking! It is leaking at the front cooler-to-block area, not the endcaps. The joint surfaces were carefully cleaned prior to installation and I replaced these gaskets with new ones purchased directly from navistar. The bolts were torqued to factory specs given in service manual. Any suggestions how to remedy this leak. I don't want to pull this engine again.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you use RTV on the gasket? If not, that may be the problem. Is it oil or coolant that is leaking?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Yeah, first make sure it's leaking from where you believe it is leaking from. Next step i'd say is to get new gaskets for it and put some rtv on them and reinstall. I have done mine without RTV twice and it was just fine. But your block might be slightly different for whatever reason and RTV might fix it.

oldoiler

Reaction score
leaks with rtv used

I applied a thin coat of red(ish orange) high temp rtv to the gaskets before installing them. The leaks appears in the form of a steady drip of lube oil coming out of the area between the front oil cooler mount and the block on the underside. The oil cooler end cap is not leaking. There is no water in oil or oil in cooling water. I tried over torquing in lower mounting bolts with no decrease in dripping afterward.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes with some things, making them too tight will cause more leaking than leaving them loose. I'm afraid you'll have to pull that part and clean both mating surfaces really well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online