leaking injectors after turning up the injection pump/ wont start

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I turned up the injection pump a flat and straight piped to give her some more power and you can definitely tell it has helped. That being said my foot has gotten a little heavier on the pedal haha. Truck wouldn't start in the morning so I replaced glowplugs because I knew I needed new ones anyways. That is when I noticed the injectors had been leaking and diesel had been collected and sitting on top of the glowplugs. After replacing the glowplugs truck started right up. Next day after replacing them, it wouldn't start.

Do any of you guys know how to stop the leaking from my injectors? Do I need to replace them because theyre getting old or can I replace the seals (they never leaked when the IP was at factory setting)? Do you think this is why my truck wont start because the diesel is leaking on my glowplugs? Or maybe faulty glowplug controller/relay which fried them?

Any advice would help! I haven't driven my truck in almost three weeks and I'm dying to drive it again!!!!!!

Truck is a 88 F350 7.3 non turbo.

Thank you!!!

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get them rebuilt or buy rebuilt ones from Conistoga Diesel, who is a member here under Agem.

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have thought that the injectors would be able to take the extra fuel especially because I didn't turn the IP up that much. only 4 of them are leaking, should I replace them all or just the four?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds more like the return lines/caps.
This is a item you should treat like brakes, if doing one side, do them both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm betting the return line caps and o rings are the reason you see the fuel in this area. Sounds like you are not sure what the return line is. Look at the injectors and see the small lines running from each injector. Those are plastic caps too. I suggest purchasing a GOOD return line kit from typ4 or Mel at Conestoga Diesel Injection of Pa. Get the Viton o rings because they last much longer than the general rubber types. If you moved ANY of those caps on the injectors when you replaced the glow plugs you have broken loose the o ring seal so now you have a leak. Please do not buy a cheap ebay return line kit. You will end up doing this job several times till you finally purchase a GOOD kit from these 2 members. I bet the line clamps are a green color too. If they are red then you need the later kit. The green is the early kit and the red is the later kit. DO NOT MIX AND MATCH these kits. They have different sizes of hose

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm betting the return line caps and o rings are the reason you see the fuel in this area. Sounds like you are not sure what the return line is. Look at the injectors and see the small lines running from each injector. Those are plastic caps too. I suggest purchasing a GOOD return line kit from typ4 or Mel at Conestoga Diesel Injection of Pa. Get the Viton o rings because they last much longer than the general rubber types. If you moved ANY of those caps on the injectors when you replaced the glow plugs you have broken loose the o ring seal so now you have a leak. Please do not buy a cheap ebay return line kit. You will end up doing this job several times till you finally purchase a GOOD kit from these 2 members. I bet the line clamps are a green color too. If they are red then you need the later kit. The green is the early kit and the red is the later kit. DO NOT MIX AND MATCH these kits. They have different sizes of hose

I didn't touch any of the injectors or the lines when replacing the glowplugs. do you think the leak could be from the increase of diesel from when I turned up the Injection pump?

gandalf

Reaction score
Conestoga Dieselowner is Agnem, not Agem. That was a typo, I'm sure.

Some times you don't even have to remove a return line, or even touch it. Sometimes you have only to look at one to make it start leaking. When it happens that way, it was probably ready to leak anyway, and the time is just coincidental. I don't think the slightly increased fuel input would cause the leak.

Order good kits from either source listed above. They are both members here, both in excellent standing.

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the truck started with some ether, that confirmed that the relay/controller is done. Finally got the truck back home with the leaking injectors and as you guys said, it does look like the return lines are soaked. I'm just going to replace all the injectors and return lines and orings. I know I should replace everything but the injection pump its self should be fine though right? Don't feel like spending 5-600 dollars on one plus injectors and return line kit.... I attached some pictures of the leak, just so you guys can help me confirm if this is the problem.

You must be registered for see images attach

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to replace all the injectors and return lines and orings. I know I should replace everything but the injection pump its self should be fine though right? Don't feel like spending 5-600 dollars on one plus injectors and return line kit.

the thing with ip's is,that they can sometimes fail when you install new injectors because the back to oem pop pressures does in a worn out ip.i dunno if this is super popular but it sure does happen.