Lamest thread yet...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Ok, I don't have a transmission falling out of the truck or hauling my house down the street (yet). This is pretty tame stuff.

I changed my wheels finally from steel to the factory alcoas. No problem there but discovered that the alcoas are 7 inches wide and the stock steel wheels are only 6. And that is not the problem, just an observation. I tried to install the factory hub caps that I have been saving for years (Thanks, 6nebraska IDIs!) and found that they will not fit on the wheels when using the 1 1/16 lug nuts that came off of the steelies :eek: I have never heard anyone talk about changing lug nuts, too, and have only seen the smaller stock nuts on Chebbies.

Love to hear any razzing for being such a clueless noob, or stories of similar head scratching.

gandalf

Reaction score
The lugnuts on my '92 CC Duallie look to be about 7/8th inch. Those are on steel wheels.

I remember asking Calvin a question about something, probably brake shoes, and part of his answer was to ask which lugnuts I had. There are apparently two sizes. I couldn't begin to tell you what determines the size on any given truck. Is it CC, duallie, year of build, the day of the week, or just random? I don't know. But there are two size lugnuts.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What an idjit.
I had to come on here to be told that it was normal for the factory lug nuts on mine to be what amounted to an interference fit. Neighbor offered to loan me his 4-way so I could "spin" them off. That wasn't going to happen. An hour with the impact wrench and my wienie compressor did the trick and straight into the trash they went. Took a trip to three stores to get 32 new ones and the little ones are working just fine on there.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I hate the small nuts. Maybe its just me, but they fought all the way off and all the way back on again when I changed out my wheels, so I changed them out for the big ones. I have a set of Alcoas to put on eventually, so that is good info. I think I'll just leave the caps off and stay with the big nuts.

gandalf

Reaction score
I have a question now about your 1 1/16 lugnuts. The leading edge, the edge which meets the steel wheel, is it a cone shape, a beveled edge? I believe that mine, at 7/8th inch, are not. I think they have a separate section which quits turning when it meets the wheel. I think the two types may not be as interchangeable as they would appear to be.

So, check and compare the two sizes. If the leading edge is the same, you should be okay. I may well be wrong about all this, but there is a faint bell ringing. If there is no confirmation from anybody, I can take a picture in the morning if you'd like.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
I hate the small nuts. Maybe its just me, but they fought all the way off and all the way back on again when I changed out my wheels, so I changed them out for the big ones. I have a set of Alcoas to put on eventually, so that is good info. I think I'll just leave the caps off and stay with the big nuts.

Can't go wrong with big nuts.:angel:

But I still want to put the caps on the wheels, so I guess I'll make a trip to the pick-n-pull.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score