Kerosene...?

noddaz

Reaction score
I guy I work with has 5 gallons of kerosene he needs to get rid of.

If I dump 1 gallon at a time into a nearly full tank will it hurt anything? I remember people mixing kerosene with their diesel in the winter to keep it from jelling. So I don't think it will hurt anything. But I might as well ask...

Scott

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
kerosene=diesel diesel=kerosene. Might be "dry" (ie not have lube in it for the pump and stuff depending on the formulation) but it will work. The diesel will counteract any of that. Biggest thing is if it's dyed fuel. If you live in a area where they love to dip tanks for "profit" then be careful. Shouldn't have a problem other wise if you don't see that around often

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Diesel and Kerosene are not the same. Similar but different. Kerosene is more refined, lighter in viscosity and has less BTUs per gallon.

There are guys that run on straight kerosene so dumping 5 gallons in with a tank should be fine.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kero is a drier fuel compared to #2, but with today's formulation it doesn't make much of a difference. i'd put in the whole five on the next fillup and a couple quarts of ATF if you want to feel better. otherwise, in my book, as long as I have 50% diesel in the tank, it's going in and getting burned.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Funny but all the opinions above are the same. Just run it and don't feel its going to harm the engine at all but do run something to lube it up some. When kerosene comes off the refractory tower it comes off higher up than diesel so its lighter. White gas comes of higher up than the pump grade gas too. It all distills at different levels on the tower. The higher up it comes off the cleaner and finer it is. The material off the bottom is usually not worth keeping but it can be refined more down to a black tar that will freeze at 450 degrees.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man , it won't hurt a thing . I've run kero, JP-4, JP-8(same thing as JP-4, but with antifreeze), B-100, 3-4 gallons of straight canola oil mixed with diesel, and filtered used motor oil. These old idi's are tuff as nails. Definitely not a newer Dirtymax or 6.0 Powersmoke. Just watch you egt's, get'em hot and these old 7.3 WILL lift a head.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any scale of 'dryness' when it comes to different fuels? We all read how this fuel is dryer than that one but having a quantitative value as a point if reference would be helpful.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most here will agree adding 1 or 2 quarts of atf oil will be enough lube in t tank full of kerosene

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any scale of 'dryness' when it comes to different fuels? We all read how this fuel is dryer than that one but having a quantitative value as a point if reference would be helpful.
the answer you are looking for is probably way above most members pay grade here.
I will give you my "calibration" take it for what it is... a best guess at that.
1) the "fuel" must pour easily at room temperature. water pours easily at room temp. if it passes that test, go to #2.
2) wetness to dryness is gauged by dipping your fingers in and rubbing your fingers together. if it is "slippery" or "oily" then it is wet.
if it feels like it has no lubricating value, ie like water, then it is dry. if you are in a colder climate and are concerned about the fuel being
too "dry", then add ATF or two stroke oil to make it "wetter"
3) if the fuel doesn't pour easily at room temp, use less of it in your tank so the other fuels can break it down easier. you will need to experiment on a much smaller scale to determine what works for you.
4) if these guidelines don't answer your questions, you'll need someone who has a PHD in Chemistry to be able to give you the numbers you need. bottom line, mixing fuels is not an exact science but more of a guessumation and experimentation of what works for you in your situation and climate. your results will vary.

noddaz

Reaction score
Ok, so if I dump 2.5 gallons in each tank to top off each tank, no harm done. I like free fuel. Thank you all once again for good information without drama.

Scott

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if I dump 2.5 gallons in each tank to top off each tank, no harm done. I like free fuel. Thank you all once again for good information without drama.

Scott
you won't go wrong by throwing the whole thing into one tank and filling it up from there.
why? the filling with regular #2 will mix things up better.
good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online