New insight in IDI burning WMO - need high compression or turbo

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, when I settled and filtered I blended with gasoline to get most pollutants out of suspension, then leave them to drop at the bottom, and take the fuel from the top.
I have no experience with a centrifuge, and I'm curious what things you think you can't get out of the WMO when centrifuging?

about mineral and synthetic, where mineral leaves almost no residue in the pot, synthetic will give you quite some plastic like residue in the pot, almost 4 or 5 times as much as mineral does.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
well, when I settled and filtered I blended with gasoline to get most pollutants out of suspension, then leave them to drop at the bottom, and take the fuel from the top.
I have no experience with a centrifuge, and I'm curious what things you think you can't get out of the WMO when centrifuging?

about mineral and synthetic, where mineral leaves almost no residue in the pot, synthetic will give you quite some plastic like residue in the pot, almost 4 or 5 times as much as mineral does.
When I had my centrifuge running and using it I always liked to have barrels of WMO setting & settling for 1-2-3 months if possible, especially in hot weather. Then I pumped approximately the top 3/4 barrel out and ran it thru the centrifuge. NEVER get all the total black out even if I ran it thru 2-3 times, but every time I ran it thru there was a little more stuff got out.

As far as things that I worry about not getting out..... I'm not sure. I've always watched for things like antifreeze, but usually it can be seen, even the different colored antifreeze. Yet I kinda wonder about things that might be in solution in antifreeze or other things, things we can't see that may have broken down out of stuff like antifreeze or something.

Maybe I just kinda think too much.....I think that's called "I'M OVER THINKING TOO MUCH!!" LOL LOL

Mixing with gas then let settle I think is a very good idea too.

Synthetic oil........This all you been speaking of about it hav gotten me wondering what Synthetic Oils are made out of????? Tonight I'm going to get on internet and search for answers!!!!

Tomorrow I'll post results & I'll bet my post will state that it's made from:
1. PLASTIC MILK JUGS
2. PLASTIC SODA-POP BOTTLES
3. PLASTIC BREAD WRAPPERS
4. PLASTIC SEAT COVERS
5. PLASTIC TAILITE LENSE
6. PLASTIC SHOPPING CARTS
7. PLASTIC CELL PHONE CASES
8. PLASTIC......
9. PLASTIC................
10. PLASTIC....................
11. PLAS..........
12. PL.................
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that's still the case, but when they started with synthetic, the base oil was still mineral.
also, there is this "oil" dude on YT, and he really explains a lot of things quite good, the problem; I forgot his name, I didn't liked the person. his subject was good though.

And the black, the black, I wonder if there will be anyone anytime anywhere who will get the black out of (diesel) engine oils!!??????
That is soot, carbon, so will burn as well in the end, but it seems pretty hard and abrasive, so I assume bad for the Injector pump and injectors.
But I heard people say that when you run WMO, you better also count the usure of the pump and injectors, and put a budget aside to maintain or replace them???

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Back in the 1960’s and early 1970’s I remember when we could go into a store that sold automotive stuff. Over in the oil section there was the different brands of oils.
Then there would be a section of recycled/used oil sold about 2/3 the price of new oils.
I bought a gallon once. It definitely wasn’t near as clean as new oil, but was very cleaned up.
Wish my centrifuge would clean mine that clean!
I’ve always wondered about those used/cleaned up oils. How really clean it was.????

ut99dot1

Reaction score
Some update on this topic. The turbo really helps with burning the oil, ran 100% straight WMO for a long while without any downsides. Great power too.
One tip though; you can't crank up the fuel injection amount as high as with normal diesel, the WMO will start throwing out black smoke alot earlier.

Perfect, until one day, it froze overnight and I had to go somewhere, cranking the car 10min straight at 30F. Eventually it started but since then power is down (maybe from 80 to 60HP), and it smokes alot more. I think the nozzles are gummed up again. My turbo is electronically controlled so I can turn it off. Power tanks then, I would say only 25 of the 50 original horsepowers left. With the turbo it's still 100% drivable, it just severely annoys people when pulling away from traffic lights, accelerating before the turbo spools up, lol

ut99dot1

Reaction score
Update, fuel consumption doubled and car started to smoke alot. Pulled the injectors and below the heat shields was a THICK layer of black crud, which I had to chisel it out with a screw driver. In the injection cup some deposit of a yellow like sand, which I removed with brake cleaner. Cycled the car without the injectors blew out all of the crap, after reinstalling all was OK. Fuel consumption & power restored to normal.

The turbo didn't reduce the black deposits, it did allow me to drive alot further without the power loss being as apparent, leading to much more deposits once I finally pulled the injectors.
I'll try blending with RUG (5-10%) to see if it makes a difference.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what you see is the result of the synthetic oils, they are not leaving the same deposits as mineral oils.
synthetic oils leave much more ash, and plastic or rock(gravel) like deposits due to the synthetic part of it. I've seen that before in a WMO fired garage heater.

I hope you might manage with your new recepy, but I doubt it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you just putt-a-putt driving? Or do you really get on it from time to time? I'm guessing you need to get your exhaust temps up more regularly to "blow it out". I know it's a car, but maybe pull a small trailer up a hill or something.

ut99dot1

Reaction score
thanks for all the inputs, will do! Once the power decrease sets in again, will do that heavy towing, will be interesting in seeing if it clears things up or not =)

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With such little hp, I don't feel load is a problem, it's requiring full power just with normal driving. Water-m3th injection triggered on when full throttle might help keep it clean, as would a hotter thermostat.

Ester oil based synthetics(group 5) can struggle to burn in an engine due to their higher ignition point compared to mineral oil or diesel fuel.

Debbob

Reaction score
I have been running 2000 7,3 40,000 miles so far: 50% black diesel 50% diesel. Started smoking mixture might have been off some. water injection cleaned it up some . Propane solved the smoking issues. a 30lb tank last about 800 miles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online