Junkyard IDI ZF-5s galore!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Dash, engine, axles (D-60), trans.........ahhhh what the hell take the whole truck :rotflmao

No D-60's or I would have made the daughter help me pull one!!

I may take an SCA test strip kit with me and see if any of these motors was loved at one time. If it looks good I can take the whole caaboodle and have a builder motor to boot! (I'm leaning towards one of the 6.9s.)

As far as "Are the ZF's worth it?" I must admit I have never driven one with a diesel. I had one in '94 5.8L F-250 and loved it. My personal preference is for a manual in 99% of the cases I use my truck.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know you would want for a 4X4 version if you get them all.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Where are you located? I would love to have a 4x4 version .

Near Salt Lake City...

Funny thing about this is I had a small block ZF-5 4x4 listed in the local classifieds and I didn't get a single call on it. I finally gave it away to a guy that was building an Ultra-4 desert racer. He was stoked.

To pay for time and suffering would it be fair to ask $400 for a flywheel, ZF-5, and pedal assembly? Keep in mind these are unproven junkyard transmissions that may need some love.

If I get one it will be getting a minor rebuild before I throw it in the truck. I've found a few kits online for $250-$300. Seems the reverse and third gear syncros are the most prone to failure.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id buy all of them, and stick what you dont need on craigslist and make some cash

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
If you find any 83-86 diesel tachs snag those up! Quite a few guys on here looking for them.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Ok, so I took today off so I could get a start on pulling at least one of these. I just finished putting together the ultimate junkyard tool set, packing a cooler full of water, having a coffee, brushing up on my spanish, powering up with a breakfast burrito and getting my coveralls donned. Wish me luck!

Here we go...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I yanked one ina yard. Took 45 mins to have it on my wagon. Beat that. No jacks. Only power tool was my cordless impact

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2wd zf I could trade for a 4x4, even has the 5.?? first gear :sly

How close are you to Ohio?

and does anyone think that the ZF trans would hold up to 26K lbs of GCVW? I NEED an OD tranny for my MDT toterhome, and if a ZF-5 will take the abuse it seems the easiest way to get one.

WHat yoke is on the back of it, and is there a 1480 one available?

sorry to hijack.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be intersterd, $200 part at the pic n pull here.... Only seen one behind a slant nose 460 truck.. keep me posted... ALso curious if they have any large 16.5 tires, specifically a piar of 37's.... or a set of .. wait, larger than 37, and the ZF does me no good... Ah hell , lemme know whats shakin'.. got family in Murray and C-ville I can come see.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How close are you to Ohio?

and does anyone think that the ZF trans would hold up to 26K lbs of GCVW? I NEED an OD tranny for my MDT toterhome, and if a ZF-5 will take the abuse it seems the easiest way to get one.

WHat yoke is on the back of it, and is there a 1480 one available?

sorry to hijack.

Hey your truck is the S-Series from IH right? If that's the case a ZF is not going to be an easy swap because your engine already bolts to an SAE3 bellhousing (that is without the Ford Diesel to IH adapter plate). If you had said plate you could make the ZF5 work just fine and my guess is it would handle the weight especially if you were easy on it, cause I know a lot of these guys and PSD guys work their trucks hard and heavy. That having been said, personally I'd rather have a big truck tranny, or keep your current one and add a brownie, a project made easier by your long wheel base and the fact that you already have 1410 yokes.