Junkyard IDI ZF-5s galore!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Went to the local junkyard today with my daughter to look for a few things she needs to put her Willys together. We even actually found two Willys and most of the parts we needed!!

While concentrating on finding her partsI kept a keen eye out for IDI stuff. This yard usually has one or two in the yard. Today I found 6 seperate IDI trucks!! And that's not the best part! There were 3 4x4 ZF-5s complete, 1 2WD ZF-5 complete and two 6.9/T-19 combos complete!!

What the heck??? Is there a problem with the manual transmission trucks or something. None of these were wrecked, and none of them had a turbo.

I asked the guy how much it would cost me for a transmission, clutch, PP and flywheel. $150 or so. Add $100 for the transfer case.

Now I just need to decide how bad I want one... I figure I could pull the pedals and flywheel out of one of the 6.9s and the rest from a newer rig.

Is there any way to tell what kind of condition these are in? Or is it just taking a chance?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Come on up! We can use all the help we can find!

There is a small part of me that wants to grab all 4 of the ZF5s and sell them to IDI guys that need 'em.;Sweet

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holly s#%* 100 buck they ussaly go for 500 just the tranny here in ct

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow!!!

Just the kinda deal that I never come across.

And even if I did, I don't have the time to go get um.
It sure is a drag having to work, I can't wait to retire so I can play.

Nice find.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I asked the guy how much it would cost me for a transmission, clutch, PP and flywheel. $150 or so. Add $100 for the transfer case.

Now I just need to decide how bad I want one... I figure I could pull the pedals and flywheel out of one of the 6.9s and the rest from a newer rig.

/quote]
you want one really bad. it's that simple.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can grab them you should. You would certainly not lose money on them in the long haul as they are in high demand and no one is making any more. Pulling a tranny in the junkyard is no fun, but my dad and I did it with a T18 and a couple of jackstands (no jacks allowed). My guess is a ZF5 would be harder since it has the integral bellhousing. No cheating like we did with unbolting the bell.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
i would definetly buy one, i am in need of a 4x4 one my e4od is circling the drain and i'm gonna flush it!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
If you can grab them you should. You would certainly not lose money on them in the long haul as they are in high demand and no one is making any more. Pulling a tranny in the junkyard is no fun, but my dad and I did it with a T18 and a couple of jackstands (no jacks allowed). My guess is a ZF5 would be harder since it has the integral bellhousing. No cheating like we did with unbolting the bell.

I am contemplating how I can make this doable. Sort of thinking about welding up a stand/ramp with adjustable legs that we could slide under the truck. The transmission would drop onto the stand, then we could slide it down to the ground to pull it out from under the truck. :confused: Something like that.

I can't get back over there until next Wed, so i am crossing my finger that they don't get crushed. -cuss

Is there anything else on these trucks that shouldn't be allowed to be turned into lawn furniture??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger