Black dawg

Reaction score
was
e4od
4.10 10.25 and 44

now is
low first gear t-19(from a 460 truck)
3.54 d70 and 44

was a lot of work for 1.5 days including removal of parts from parts truck and putting it back together to make it mobile.

truck is a whole different truck now. feels like a real truck with out the fn e4od.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual swap was one of the best upgrades I ever made to my beast, and I have the same 4 speed setup except mine is a T18 out of an F150.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here I thought the title was about my diesel... :)

It could use some new tin, I will admit it

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here I thought the title was about my diesel... :)

It could use some new tin, I will admit it

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Isn't the difference between manual and auto incredible? I don't think anyone can realize the gains of a manual untill they have seen and felt the difference in the same vehicle. I have swapped out a 700r4 for a sm465 in an '85 K5 blazer. Not IDI equipped, but the biggest performance/economy gains I have ever seen for only changing one thing about the vehicle being worked on. I lost 3 sec on my 0-60 times and gained 2mpg's despite losing OD.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I will point out about the T-18 and T-19 :

For reasons known only to Ford engineers, stupid as it was, the T-19 4-speed diesels came factory-original with a 1st gear that was higher than 1st in an old three-on-the-column. cookoo

That was always my biggest :mad: gripe :mad: about my old 6.9/T-19 combo.

My old gas-burner K-20 Chevy had a "bulldog" low that was something in the sevens; whereas the T-19 was probably in the threes.

Many is the time I have smelled my clutch on account of this, trying to launch big gooseneck trailers.

Sometimes, it even required a little nudge from a tractor or such, just to get moving when the trailer wheels were in a low spot.

Were I swapping in a T-19, I would make certain that it had the "granny" gears. ;Sweet

Black dawg

Reaction score
Isn't the difference between manual and auto incredible? I don't think anyone can realize the gains of a manual untill they have seen and felt the difference in the same vehicle. I have swapped out a 700r4 for a sm465 in an '85 K5 blazer. Not IDI equipped, but the biggest performance/economy gains I have ever seen for only changing one thing about the vehicle being worked on. I lost 3 sec on my 0-60 times and gained 2mpg's despite losing OD.

Ive never swapped in a manual without an engine swap(bigger better) at the same time. Im really happy with how it turned out. The only thing that didnt bolt in was the pedal assembly because the donor truck was an 85, but I got the pedals swapped into the 89 bracket with some modification.

Black dawg

Reaction score
One thing I will point out about the T-18 and T-19 :

For reasons known only to Ford engineers, stupid as it was, the T-19 4-speed diesels came factory-original with a 1st gear that was higher than 1st in an old three-on-the-column. cookoo

That was always my biggest :mad: gripe :mad: about my old 6.9/T-19 combo.

My old gas-burner K-20 Chevy had a "bulldog" low that was something in the sevens; whereas the T-19 was probably in the threes.

Many is the time I have smelled my clutch on account of this, trying to launch big gooseneck trailers.

Sometimes, it even required a little nudge from a tractor or such, just to get moving when the trailer wheels were in a low spot.

Were I swapping in a T-19, I would make certain that it had the "granny" gears. ;Sweet

460 4x4 t-19 83-86
6.32 3.09 1.68 1

diesel t-19
4.02 2.41 1.41 1

Ive had several 6.9s with a t-19 and thought the ratios were stupid, I had no idea that this other t-19 existed.

I like the way it works, 1st is nice and low, and second is still low enough for starting off.

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason a gasser T-18 or even a NP435 wouldn't work behind the diesel? I've probably got like 8-10 T-18's and NP435's sitting in my garage.LOL I've got a couple 2wd 460 T-19's too but they have the crappy 4.02 1st gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online