ITS HERE ITS HERE!!!!! EVERYONE WATCH!!!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Right now I would say its pointless to turn that many RPMs it doesn't look like it has the fuel to make any power at that range. Sure it ran up ok on his 2-3 shift but on the 3-4 shift were it takes more power after about 3500 it takes a while to climb and then actually stops climbing short of where it climbed to at the first shift. I bet if someone was racing him and shifted at normal redline he would get out ran waiting on the thing to rev higher. I'm all for modding things but there has to be some kind of improvement

yes it needs more fuel or more air or both i agree with you completely, i know if i had more fuel and air, and that rpm, then it would be one bad motor

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I was more of a Husqvarna on a Huffy kind of guy....but whatever ****** the neighbours off, eh?!

How are your neighbours taking this noise Dyoung lol :rotflmao.

Has anyone thought of a roller cam set? I got a lot of spare time in the dump truck, I actually wrote some ideas down on a piece of paper, but i stuck it in the ******* mag between the seats and forgot it there when I came home....I had a good excuse though, the driveshaft came loose and I had to tighten the yoke up on the power divider.

i also hot rod briggs and stratton motors, thats were it all started then i moved to idi's, well one day the neighboors was standing outside next to the road doing something and i was pulling out of the driveway, so i hammered it and rolled smoke all over them and ran up to 3800 rpmLOL but i know them real good so i know they didnt care, but there also use to me and stewart testing our racing mowers all evening so there use to the loud racket

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're referring to roller lifters, the IDI has 'em from the factory...if not, what exactly are you referring to?

I always thought a roller rocker-arm setup would be nice, but I have yet to see it offered...

That makes me wonder about somehting I haven't thought about where these things are concerned. What are the specs on an IDI cam? Do they run the roller lifters out of necessity due to a steep ramp or just for durability / longevity? :dunno

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yeppers you get a thumbs up from me on taking the chance and trying something new. I did that until I got the urge to try a different motor that would perform like I wanted and stay together. I didn't do it because I ran out of money trust me the cost on the Dodge was much higher than an engine rebuild for The Enterprise. I wanted a Cummins and had been thinking about one for a while then when the E blew up I thought I would just swap heads and be done but once I got into her it was much more and I said the heck with it - it wasn't worth it. I didn't feel the engine core design could do what I was asking and modding wasn't going to take it to that level so I went to a different design and was quite pleasantly surprised that it would do what I asked with out a problem. I also drove the 6 banger jsut as hard and at the same interval. Not saying that the IDI couldn't be made to survive but it was just time to play with something else.... I'm thinking the next one might be a Duramax..... I want to have one of each to play with over the years....

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Warning... Prepare for stupid question from IDI newbie :sly

Why were these motors governed so low to begin with? I mean, sure, there is a lot of iron moving around inside, but, like others on this thread have pointed out, alot of other motors have alot of moving mass internally. My first pickup was a '77 F250 with the 460 and I used to wind the **** outta that thing. Not to compare the 460 to an IDI, but I was assume (and we all know what assume means!) that the IDI would be more structurally capable of handling higher RPMs.

Given, the torque band is low on these engines, and the valves tend to float at higher RPMs, but I would think the structure of the engine should be able to handle some high-speed spinning.:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to see what this thing looks like on a Dyno. We already know that a stock engine maxes out the torque around 1600-1800, and the HP peaks at 3300. One must wonder how far down the chart the line would go on HP and torque 1000 RPM beyond that. One thing is for certain, and that is with no other changes being made, all your doing is spinning it faster, and lowering the numbers that really count. So once again, I say "why? And what's next?"

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Holy crap man! And to think everyone said I was over reving my brown trucks motor at 2800. lol Your old motor turning 4500rpm lasted longer during that video than my brand new motor in my brown truck did turning 2800. ROFL

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these engines arent really governed that low the 93 cummins my bro has is governed somewhere around 2800

But I bet it cuts fuel hard around 2400, or has a light 3200 spring. I had an old VE pump truck, and 2 p-pumps valves before coming to an IDI in my crew cab, and none of them would turn 2800 with a GSK installed.

Also, not to answer questions meant for Dyoung, if you plan on building a high rpm motor for sledpulling/dragging or so forth, on an untried setup, wouldn't you push it to the max before putting expensive items such as a turbo, ip or the like into it? Figure out where you want the motor to run RPM wise, figure out what it takes to hold together, then up the power in increments, and fix/tune any problem areas, until you get it where you want it.

All this talk about going all-out on the initial build is exactly that, talk. What does it take to get an IDI to hold together at 4500+ rpm? Only a few know, and they won't say. So it's up to individuals such as Dyoung to experiment and find it out, and actually share the information.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
well my motor is still running good, but i may tune it down for a while cause i dont want to be doing a motor swap right now in the winter, but next fall expect a motor build, cause im going to bust my ass to save all the money i can, i think the stock rods and crank will handle 4500 rpm i think there good, the pistons not so sure i will take some stuff to my machine shop buddy and see what he thinks, the compression of the new engine will be around 19to1 i will stud everything, i mean everything! heads, intake, exhuast manifolds, rods, mains, that way nothing will move, max rpm will probly be 4500, with twin turbos intercooled, and if agnem can do it then a "super duper moose ip" will some kind of huge injectors, thats my dreams any way, but im going to try to be building a engine about his time next year im really going to work my ass off this next spring and summer

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
the compression of the new engine will be around 19to1 i will stud everything, i mean everything! heads, intake, exhuast manifolds, rods, mains, that way nothing will move, max rpm will probly be 4500, with twin turbos intercooled, and if agnem can do it then a "super duper moose ip" will some kind of huge injectors, thats my dreams any way, but im going to try to be building a engine about his time next year im really going to work my ass off this next spring and summer

Now were talkn'!!!;Sweet:thumbsup:

what about a reground cam?:D

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to see what this thing looks like on a Dyno. We already know that a stock engine maxes out the torque around 1600-1800, and the HP peaks at 3300.

Mel- If anyone would know you would. Do these numbers remain constant after making a few mods like for instance, pump, turbo charger, intercooler assuming the mods are done correctly or might the horsepower curve change enough to have something to gain at say 4000 rpm?