Is this possable??

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possable for my oil cooler to leak water externally.. Been using coolant lately and my fears were maybe cavitation at first but it doesnt smoke at all or run any differant, still runs great.. I just noticed my oil cooler is wet thou, so im wondering if thats the problem.. However theres no water gettin g into the oil??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes is the short answer. Nothing will leak off the bundle because the oil touches the outside shell of the bundle. The coolant only travels thru the tubes in the bundle. So it may leak from the eands but not off the bundle between the ends.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking at it it apears coolant may be misting onto it, either from the water pump somewhere or ??

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
warranty.

check to see if any bolts on the pump are loose first.

I feel dumb, i just was goona take the pump off so i could get it replaced tomarrow under warranty and the bolts were all loose. I antiseezed all the blts when instaling it and i think that combind with not tightening them enough made them walk out and caused the leak.. I tightened everything up real good, hopfully it wont leak, but i think before i servis the cooling system again ill throw a new gasket in for good measure..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well that was an easy sounding repair. Glad you found the leak but saddened by what the leak was... No reason to feel silly or stupid about it. Stuff happens. Now next time you will be ahead of something like this. Many times I have gotten a thick pump gasket in my water pumps. They do compress over time so... I always buy a fel pro gasket from Nappa. Its the whitesh looking gasket that has the red rtv on one side of it. So far I have not had any problems with leaks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online