IS a C6 to E4OD swap possible?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
This is just a possible future project, but I'd like to know if the tranny from my 93 will work in my 87.

Once I have it out of the 93 (And get enough money) I'll be able to get it rebuilt. I just want to know if it would work. Since I have the donor truck as well, I should almost have everything I think I would need for a swap.

Is it possible?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer is yes, it can be done and its mostly bolt up. Keep the donor because you will need a lot of the stuff from there. Electrical as well as brackets and bolts (and possibly driveshaft).

I would prefer to avoid the OEM computer and harness because they can be problematic, but considering you already have everything you need, $600 for an aftermarket computer and harness might not be worth your money.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will someone describe in detail how to do the swap? And parts involved in the swap?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I would prefer to avoid the OEM computer and harness because they can be problematic, but considering you already have everything you need, $600 for an aftermarket computer and harness might not be worth your money.

I would say, after doing my swap, $600 to ease the installation and wiring is WELL worth it. You wouldn't need to swap in the harness from the donor, just keep the one you have and add the TPS. Plus you get a better, adjustable computer which is just too cool.;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say, after doing my swap, $600 to ease the installation and wiring is WELL worth it. You wouldn't need to swap in the harness from the donor, just keep the one you have and add the TPS. Plus you get a better, adjustable computer which is just too cool.;Sweet

I agree. I would never use an OEM computer. Too many things to go wrong, but if cost is a concern, then $600 might be too high.

The swap is pretty strait forward.

You have to move the cross member back to match the E4OD, have the driveshaft shortened. The C6 cross member could probably be used, but I used the E4OD cross member.

The shift rod will have to be replaced or lengthened. The rest of the auto tranny shift linkage will line up as is.

Ideally you would also replace the flywheel with one that originally came with a C6. The 4 bolt circle will match, but the C6 seems to have more torque converter recess than the E4OD, and I had to make a 1/8' spacer plate to offset the transmission further back to prevent any binding when the bolts are tightened.

The cooler lines won't quite reach the rear of the transmission, so that will have to change a little.

If you go with the baumann controller, the instructions that come with it will be good enough. If you try to use the OEM, I can't really help you much because I never did that kind of swap.

The baumann takes signals from the VSS, MLPS, and TPS - and thats it!
The OEM takes signals from the VSS, MLPS, TPS, tachometer, brake lights, and possibly other sensors. If any one of those signals is out of speck, you will go into limp mode. Like I said, there are just more things to go wrong with the OEM setup.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock PCM uses the brake lights signal as a trigger to unlock the torque converter, right? Hoe does the aftermarket PCM address that issue? Oh yah, you forgot the baro sensor in that list, used to adjust shift schedule by pulling upshifts earlier when ambient pressure is low.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Stock PCM uses the brake lights signal as a trigger to unlock the torque converter, right? Hoe does the aftermarket PCM address that issue? Oh yah, you forgot the baro sensor in that list, used to adjust shift schedule by pulling upshifts earlier when ambient pressure is low.

I think it just uses speed and throttle position, as well as parameters you've programmed in for when to lock and unlock. I'm just starting to try setting those.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock PCM uses the brake lights signal as a trigger to unlock the torque converter, right? Hoe does the aftermarket PCM address that issue?

It doesn't.

The TC stays locked even if you tap the brakes. Frankly I don't know what the point is for the TC to unlock just because you apply the brakes. The TC can be programmed to unlock simply based on throttle signal alone, so as soon as you release the accelerator, it unlocks.

Mine stays locked even at idle power setting if the speed is high enough. Makes for less hesitation in real world driving, and fewer cycling of the torque converter lockup, so it will last that much longer.

Seriously, this TCS is awesome. You can program the transmission to do just about anything you want. You also have extra features like seperate shift profile at the flick of a switch, and manutronic, which uses the cruise control buttons to shift the transmission (haven't tried that one yet).

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, if I take you for a drive around here I guarantee within the first 15 minutes you will realize how good it is for the PCM to see the brakes - it's a safety feature, for the situations where you lay on the brakes and steer away to avoid a road hazard (usually a loose nut behind the wheel), that usually means a stopped driveshaft so now you got the running engine on one side and the stopped trans on the other, not a good thing for the converter. Actually I deliberately wired my converter switch like that, my PCM has no control over the lockup at all, so now I can leave it locked during decel like an engine brake, but if something jumps out in front of me I can focus on avoiding it and not worry about unlocking the converter before my ABS starts doing its thing.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see your point, but I'm having a hard time remembering a situation like that. My TC does not lock up below 50 MPH, and I've never been in a situation of 4 wheel lockup at or above that speed. However, if the rear wheels were to decelerate enough for them to brake traction or completely lock up, the VSS signal to the PCM would cause a command to unlock anyway because indicated speed would drop below the minimum TC lockup speed.

But I have gone full power more than a few times with the TC locked up and never had a problem with it. Such a condition would place a LOT more strain on the components than the engine at idle setting so I still don't see a problem. If the wheels were to lock instantly (even on snow, that NEVER happened to me above 50 MPH), then you might have a problem of inertia from the crank/flywheel pushing force through the TC before the PCM can react, but the same situation would also have to be true for manual transmission, and those seem to cope just fine:dunno

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
There is a minumum speed the TCS will keep the TC locked. Below that it will unlock, and it's adjustable for your tastes.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, forgot you guys have that programmable VSS input - that certainly will avoid the situation I described. And I wouldn't worry about the PCM reacting slowly to the VSS, I'm sure it reads the signal many times per second so it's command to disengage the converter will be near instantaneous, probably faster than the brakes can lock up the rear. But I'm working with a factory PCM here, so I gotta take alternate routes for achieving similar results. By the way, what is so bad about the stock PCM? I kinda like how it works, the only complaints I have were about the TC lockup points, but now with the manual switch it's no longer an issue.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
By the way, what is so bad about the stock PCM? I kinda like how it works, the only complaints I have were about the TC lockup points, but now with the manual switch it's no longer an issue.

For my setup it was ease of wiring. The stock one would almost require me to have used the whole Ford harness and splice it into the Chevy harness, which I really didn't want to do. Plus I like gadgets!LOL

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, for you and the others installing E4ODs where they originally didn't belong it makes perfect sense to use the aftermarket controller - I was wondering would it be worth the trouble of replacing the factory PCM with the Baumann unit for trucks that already have the E4OD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online