C6 to E4OD ?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it be a nightmare to fit an E4OD from a 95 F150 straight 6 2wd in the place of an '87 F250 C6 6.9IDI 4wd?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant be that bad if you buy a standalone controller,
TPS
Probably bigger cooler than c6
Flex plates are different I think the e4 uses a spacer too

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Straight 6 is small block Ford, same as 302 or 351. You'd need something with a diesel pattern or can possibly drill a 460 to fit. I know the 460 ZF5 can be drilled to fit

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Isn't a 460 E4od geared different in the auto as well?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't a 460 E4od geared different in the auto as well?
The actual gear ratios are the same... what IS different is the torque capacity of the unit. The valve body has a couple of differences for a stronger fluid pressure rise with load curve and the geartrain has 4-pinion planetaries as opposed to 3-pinion planetaries on a smaller gas engine.
There was a change from an aluminum OD planetary to a steel one in the mid-90's and the input shaft was updated to work with it. I never saw it...but rumor was the aluminum planetary would strip the splines at the input shaft occaisionally.

As far as working a non-diesel case to a diesel...I hear that it has been done...but I would not...the dowel pin holes are different and you might be able to get away with it on a stick unit but the alignment of the torque convertor to crank centerline is critical on an automatic to keep the pump in good shape.

Not something that I would do...I would find a diesel unit and build it with all of the goodies.

I had a chance to buy a '92 cube van (7.3) with a sleeper cab and a lift gate a number of years ago and it had a unit that I had built and toughened up...I passed it up and now I kick myself almost monthly for not getting it.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It’s 2wd, and 12 hours away, but maybe there’s still a way....?

Need shift controller and transfer case. I assume a 3/4ton and 1-ton would have same splines. Maybe yours would bolt up.....?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It’s 2wd, and 12 hours away, but maybe there’s still a way....?

Need shift controller and transfer case. I assume a 3/4ton and 1-ton would have same splines. Maybe yours would bolt up.....?
If you want to convert a 2wd trans to 4wd duties, the 2wd trans has to be torn down completely and the proper parts installed, and then it has to be put back together. Unless the trans is going to be rebuilt anyway, and you already have the proper 4wd parts, it's not worth it to convert from 2wd to 4wd.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Converting to an E4OD will be a big enough job as is. Hold off until you get a proper 4wd diesel transmission for your project. If the gas E4OD is dirt cheap ($50-100), then it might come in handy since some of the internal hard parts will interchange with the HD diesel unit. But you still have to be careful to avoid putting weak parts into your transmission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.